Perhaps...

seniorsooner

Reaction score
Our basketball program isn't that good to begin with and our self-worth was over-inflated because Kelvin is a cheater.

Well, lets bring him back then and be good. I can put up with extra phone calls.

images

Or maybe we should just start cheating again like all the big boys do? I'm not seriously saying I want Capel to break rules to get wins, but I am serious in saying that a high percentage of big-time schools do it. We were one of them with Sampson, like it or not. We didn't know, didn't really hurt us until we lost our best recruiting class ever.

We've got the double whammy: we suck AND we've got NCAA problems.

lol

Kelvin was the shizz, come on.

I must be the only one that thinks making too many phone calls isn't that big of a deal. It's not like Kelvin never paid any players to come here and no I am not accusing Jeff of doing anything close to that.

There are morals and ethics. Then, there are NCAA rules. Don't ever criticize someone for breaking a simple NCAA rule. These rules were written for the wrong reason.

What Kelvin did was to call someone. Let's see. USC won't even break when the NCAA discovers that they paid $300,000 to Bush's parents. Auburn doesn't break. But, we broke when it was revealed that we made 28 too many calls. If we had text-messaged, there would have been no problem. But, we committed a crime. We called someone. I'm sure that national security is at stake. The ethics of the human race are involved. Nations will fall, and the poor will be deprived of food because of 28 calls.

You want to call that cheating? We made a disgusting mistake when we didn't tell the NCAA exactly what they could do with their charges, and I will never forgive Joe C or Boren for throwing Kelvin to the wolves.

I must be the only one that thinks making too many phone calls isn't that big of a deal. It's not like Kelvin never paid any players to come here and no I am not accusing Jeff of doing anything close to that.

Or, you know, openly lied in an interview with the NCAA. No, that's only an 8 game ban in this great world of Division 1 basketball.

I'm with you. I'm not condoning the calls, but it equated to something like one extra measly call per week. Probably the most overrated, played-out NCAA basketball transgression I can think of.

This. I hardly doubt Kelvin was the only coach making extra phone calls or bending rules. Besides, there are much sleazier things you can be doing. Ask coach Cal.

Except for the fact that he continued to violate the same rule knowingly and then lied about it.

I didn't say that. I said we developed an over-stated sense of what our program really is as a result of Sampson's cheating during his era.

So you're the ABD of Sooner Basketball past in other words.

I didn't say that. I said we developed an over-stated sense of what our program really is as a result of Sampson's cheating during his era.

So what would you say about the Billy Ball era, then?

And I don't think the one extra call per week was the reason for all those wins and championships Sampson accumulated during his tenure. Safe to say OU would have reaped the same benefits without that, anyways.

Again, not condoning what he did (and it was foolish of him for doing it after being reprimanded), just disagree with the notion of putting an asterisk on an era for something pretty trivial.

Back