Possible losing season

soonerbms

Reaction score
Despite all our struggles, I never thought it would come to this. After starting the season in the top 15-20, we could suffer our first losing season since 1981. I wasn't even alive then. To avoid this ignominious distinction, we have to go 2-4 down the stretch. We have three home games left, but the problem is that they're all against teams that will be dancing in March. I think our only hope is to win at Colorado and steal one at home.

Despite all our struggles, I never thought it would come to this. After starting the season in the top 15-20, we could suffer our first losing season since 1981. I wasn't even alive then. To avoid this ignominious distinction, we have to go 2-4 down the stretch. We have three home games left, but the problem is that they're all against teams that will be dancing in March. I think our only hope is to win at Colorado and steal one at home.

1981.....We've lost our basketball program.

1981.....We've lost our basketball program.

The program is definitely on life support. Another season like this and it might be lights out.

I really started following OU Basketball in 1993. My mom was faculty at OU, so we got basketball tickets for close to nothing. I attended almost every home game for years. Once the Kelvin Sampson era was in full swing, I just assumed it was our birthright to play in the NCAA tournament. I never believed OU hoops could sink to these depths.

Last edited:
If we went 2-4, we'd have to win a game at the Big 12 Tourney.

The program is definitely on life support. Another season like this and it might be lights out

I'm as frustrated and disappointed with this season as anyone, but let's not overstate it. Programs have their ups and downs, but none of them die altogether.

We could be digging a hole that takes a while to climb out of, if we're not careful, though.

But the right coach (assuming it doesn't work out with Coach Capel, and I'm not saying it won't) can turn around a basketball program pretty quickly. It doesn't take that many players to do so.

C'mon...You don't "lose" your program a year after an Elite 8 appearance.

13-13, 4-8. We're sure as hell not going to beat Kansas and Texas on the road, so we better win our two remaining home games. We need to at least win on Senior Day for Crock's sake. He could have bolted like James, Reynolds, and Mayfield did, but he stayed true to his commitment. I've always admired him for that. Unfortunately, I think his Sooner career is going to end with a losing season. How did it come to this?

13-13, 4-8. We're sure as hell not going to beat Kansas and Texas on the road, so we better win our two remaining home games. We need to at least win on Senior Day for Crock's sake. He could have bolted like James, Reynolds, and Mayfield did, but he stayed true to his commitment. I've always admired him for that. Unfortunately, I think his Sooner career is going to end with a losing season. How did it come to this?

Yeah, I think it's going to be hard to avoid a losing season. 4 games left all against top 25 teams. Not the ideal way to end a long season.

This season has been tough, but we aren't the biggest disappointment this season. Just look at UNC. Hopefully we can turn it around next year.

I'm as frustrated and disappointed with this season as anyone, but let's not overstate it. Programs have their ups and downs, but none of them die altogether.

We could be digging a hole that takes a while to climb out of, if we're not careful, though.

But the right coach (assuming it doesn't work out with Coach Capel, and I'm not saying it won't) can turn around a basketball program pretty quickly. It doesn't take that many players to do so.

Skyview is correct. One season can turn the program around. Whether it is with Capel or someone else the program is not going to become like Nebraska or CU - if it does Joe C will lose his job (and he should if that happens on his watch).

Yeah, I think it's going to be hard to avoid a losing season. 4 games left all against top 25 teams. Not the ideal way to end a long season.

It is going to be hard to not finish the year 5 games below .500. Anything can happen but it is extremely unlikely this team beats KU in Lawrence. A&M is a very disciplined team. They are beatable but they just play smarter basketball than OU. Baylor is the best hope for a win. Texas may have gotten better with Balbay's injury.

I don't see this team winning a Big XII tournament game. The team they play will be a bubble team or fighting for seeding. OU will have zero motivation.

I doubt we win another game. CU has Istate and NU and they will win at least 1, maybe both. That will leave us as 10th in the conference. Thats disgusting considering how we were picked in the preseason Big12 poll.

Team (First place votes) Points
1. Kansas (11)* 121
2. Texas (1) 111
3. Oklahoma 95
4. Kansas State 92
5. Texas A&M 74
6. Oklahoma State 69
7. Missouri 66
8. Iowa State 57
9. Texas Tech 34
10. Baylor 33
11. Nebraska 27
12. Colorado

I doubt we win another game. CU has Istate and NU and they will win at least 1, maybe both. That will leave us as 10th in the conference. Thats disgusting considering how we were picked in the preseason Big12 poll.

Team (First place votes) Points
1. Kansas (11)* 121
2. Texas (1) 111
3. Oklahoma 95
4. Kansas State 92
5. Texas A&M 74
6. Oklahoma State 69
7. Missouri 66
8. Iowa State 57
9. Texas Tech 34
10. Baylor 33
11. Nebraska 27
12. Colorado

Worst Coaching job at OU since the 70s and maybe the 60s.

Back