Quarters vs Halves

pnkranger

Reaction score
Why have we not fixed this in men’s basketball yet? The only league outside of AAU ball that still used two halves. Let’s adopt NBA rules like women’s college ball.

4 quarters
4 fouls to bonus each quarter
Advance the ball to halfcourt on timeout

Why have we not fixed this in men’s basketball yet? The only league outside of AAU ball that still used two halves. Let’s adopt NBA rules like women’s college ball.

4 quarters

Amen. Only answer: NCAA is idiotic.

4 quarters

Should have been done years ago....it's a better game, especially late when there's a strategy to keeping or using timeouts.

I like 2 halves. To me it’s college bball.

Also I don’t like advancing the ball. That’s changing the game. It’s not wwe entertainment.

Also I don’t like advancing the ball. That’s changing the game. It’s not wwe entertainment.

I agree. I guess i'm a traditionalist. I like the every 4 minute TV timeouts, everything. Why change?

I watch the men and the women's teams, so I experience both, but I have no strong preference.

I didn't care for it either at first....but after watching the women's game more (albeit the Juco level), I do like it.

I agree. I guess i'm a traditionalist. I like the every 4 minute TV timeouts, everything. Why change?

It improves the flow of the game and the main benefit is resetting the fouls at the start of each quarter. It prevents situations where you have teams in the bonus for, say, the final 10+ minutes of a half.

It improves the flow of the game and the main benefit is resetting the fouls at the start of each quarter. It prevents situations where you have teams in the bonus for, say, the final 10+ minutes of a half.

It also penalizes good free throw shooting teams.

Just reset the fouls at the 10:00 mark if that’s the issue:

It also penalizes good free throw shooting teams.

I wouldn’t say it penalizes you. As noted, when you play quarters, there is no such thing as one-and-one. Once you’re in the bonus, everything is two shots.

agreed CBB is its own sport it doesn't need to become nba light

agreed CBB is its own sport it doesn't need to become nba light

Men’s college is the only entity not to play quarters, so it wouldn’t mean becoming the NBA. High school, international, women’s college, even youth level … everyone plays quarters. Other than “it’s always been done that way,” is there a specific reason you prefer the current model? Genuinely curious about this.

Men’s college is the only entity not to play quarters, so it wouldn’t mean becoming the NBA. High school, international, women’s college, even youth level … everyone plays quarters. Other than “it’s always been done that way,” is there a specific reason you prefer the current model? Genuinely curious about this.

I think high school girls' basketball should go back to the halfcourt, 3 on 3 game on each end. It was their own game! /s

I don't feel strongly about the change, but the benefit you cite really just transfers FT to earlier in the half. It reduces the chance of a team shooting FT right after the midpoint of a half (early 2nd and 4th quarters), but increases the chance of FT just before the midpoint of a half (end of 1st and 3rd quarters). Is there data to show that the change significantly reduces fouls per half?

On a side note, I'm not sure the "everyone else is doing it" argument for the change really holds much more weight than the "because we always did it this way " argument against the change from my perspective.

I like halves because it prevents us from running our last second offense as often! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

count me in as a fan of the halves.
No reason except it would be weird to see quarters

I'd rather have quarters, but no to the advancing the ball to half court.

Back