Quarters vs Halves

I like 2 halves. To me it’s college bball.

Also I don’t like advancing the ball. That’s changing the game. It’s not wwe entertainment.

I'm with you. Quit changing every single sport's rules. I don't know them anymore. The players don't even know the rules anymore sometimes.

You guys are acting like quarters are a new thing. Pro basketball went to quarters 70 years ago. Should we get rid of the shot clock and the three point line? Those weren’t invented by Dr Naismith. And drop back to 15 minute halves with a running clock?

You guys are acting like quarters are a new thing. Pro basketball went to quarters 70 years ago. Should we get rid of the shot clock and the three point line? Those weren’t invented by Dr Naismith. And drop back to 15 minute halves with a running clock?

I get it. What’s wrong with halves though? Change just to change? Not my style.

I'd appreciate the change to quarters just to decrease the amount of free throws being shot. When college basketball games devolve into free throw shooting contests the last 10 minutes, nobody enjoys it.

I'd appreciate the change to quarters just to decrease the amount of free throws being shot. When college basketball games devolve into free throw shooting contests the last 10 minutes, nobody enjoys it.

Exactly. One or two questionable calls against a team in the first few minutes all but guarantees that their opponent will be in the bonus for a good portion of a half. When I went back and read some of the articles that were written when the women changed, almost every coach said the y were excited because it would improve the flow of the game.

is there any data to show less free throws are now shot in the women's game?

Wouldn't it just shift the freethrows to mid half instead of end of half?

NCAA went to 2 halves in 1954 from 4 quarters.
Perhaps there would be fewer tv timeouts during the game if longer ones were taken at the quarter breaks.

Same thought.

I really don't care about halves or quarters, but I do hate the forced timeouts at the four-minute marks because I think it changes how the game is officiated.

If I was a coach, I would tell my team to drive the ball anytime we are under the four-minute mandatory break. Seems to me there are always some questionable fouls because the officials are looking to blow the whistle.

I think that impacts the flow of the game, so if quarters helped eliminate that, then I would be a fan.

is there any data to show less free throws are now shot in the women's game?

Wouldn't it just shift the freethrows to mid half instead of end of half?

It would balance out when free throws are being shot & the start of the 2nd and 4th quarters would have good flow. Now the last 8 minutes of every half has 15 free throws being shot and it ruins the flow.

A bit off subject but I grew up in KCMO when Wilt came to KU and before the shot clock opponents would hold the ball seemingly forever to limit the JHawk offense.
If there would have been a shot clock in the late 50s KU with Wilt might never have lost a game.

Back