Rashard Odomes

AdaSooner

Admin Emeritus
Reaction score
Rashard Odomes was a prolific scorer coming out of high school. He could score from anywhere on the floor, including from three point range. As I recall, he averaged around 48% from three his senior season at Copperas Cove.

He was the Texas MVP in the annual Faith Seven All-Star game. Shooting free throws was not a problem for him back then. He made 9 of 10 (90%) free throws in that game (see his stats below). Now, he struggles to make half of the shots he takes. Actually, it’s even worse, his current average is 36%.

Texas was led by future Sooner Rashard Odomes, a 6-foot-6 wing who did a little bit of everything in his 29 minutes on the floor.

Odomes, from Copperas Cove, scored 37 points on 13-of-17 shooting, including 2-of-4 from 3-point range and 9-of-10 at the free throw line. He added a game-high 11 rebounds and three assists to earn Texas MVP honors.

What happened to the recruit who could score in so many ways when he arrived on OU’s campus? Did our coaches fail Rashard by trying to change his shot, or by limiting his role to a drive only player, or did he do it to himself by not continuing to work on his perimeter game and his shooting stroke?

We may never know the answer to those questions. I just feel bad for the kid and I will hate to see him go. By all accounts, he has accepted his role on the team without complaint. He’ll be missed next season!

Hard to say. He has never shot it consistently at this level, even before his shot changed. Question is why it needed to be changed and I think that is because it was a slower release and therefore harder to get off (and make) vs higher quality opponents.

His stroke isn’t bad enough to warrant the low % he shoots

He’s just a mental case at the line.

Watch Calixte and Reynolds preshot routine and compare it. Confidence does wonders

Back