Ray McCallum Junior Year Highlight Videos

Sooner23

Reaction score
Me likey..........

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEAH5xWVDYI[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzhcAQLnRF4&feature=channel_page[/ame]

Last edited:
Geez. He is really fun to watch. Thanks for posting.

I would love to have Ray McCallum at OU. He kind of reminds me of Austin Johnson with Hollis Price's speed and Willie Warren's moves.

Lil' Ray is the epitome of a complete basketball player. I get to see him play later on this summer. I like Pressey and wouldn't mind having him. However, Ray probably would be the better interchange player with our team. In other words. He is a lead guard with good enough handles to play the point. His i.q. is outstanding and he can score the basketball if he needs to, which makes him a threat. He could come in and spell TMG or he could play the two with TMG in the game. If TJ is in the game. Lil' Ray could be the point with TJ playing the two. I'll go out on a limb and predict that we will get Pressey or Lil' Ray. BOOMER SOONER BABY!!!:clap

Lil' Ray is the epitome of a complete basketball player. I get to see him play later on this summer. I like Pressey and wouldn't mind having him. However, Ray probably would be the better interchange player with our team. In other words. He is a lead guard with good enough handles to play the point. His i.q. is outstanding and he can score the basketball if he needs to, which makes him a threat. He could come in and spell TMG or he could play the two with TMG in the game. If TJ is in the game. Lil' Ray could be the point with TJ playing the two. I'll go out on a limb and predict that we will get Pressey or Lil' Ray. BOOMER SOONER BABY!!!:clap

The problem is that I don't think Ray will want to come off the bench or play the 2. He mentioned in a recent article that he wants to play with the ball in his hands. I think OU is a tough sell because you have TMG who is likely a 3-4 year player who is a PG. It's one of those positions that is tough because unlike a forward or combo guard you only have one PG. I know that it happens sometimes (D. Williams and Dee Brown, Miles/Hinrich), but in almost every case there is still a guy who is considered the main PG.

The problem is that I don't think Ray will want to come off the bench or play the 2. He mentioned in a recent article that he wants to play with the ball in his hands. I think OU is a tough sell because you have TMG who is likely a 3-4 year player who is a PG. It's one of those positions that is tough because unlike a forward or combo guard you only have one PG. I know that it happens sometimes (D. Williams and Dee Brown, Miles/Hinrich), but in almost every case there is still a guy who is considered the main PG.

This.

Very valid points. I also think TMG will be our point guard for four years. However, the way you sell this to Lil' Ray is to tell him that he can come in and compete for the starting job. Competition brings out the best in most players. If he doesn't win it than he gets the back up point guard role and the time at the two guard position with the fact that he will be the man when TMG leaves. Now I know this sounds naive, but Ray is a team player. He wants to play with the best. We also know that Coach Capel is very capable of working his magic in this situation. I'm a huge TMG fan, but this is a good way of keeping him honest so to speak. This is not the first rodeo where two players and a team would have to find a way to make the situation work. I'm hoping that this will be the script that plays out with Lil' Ray. That he comes to OU despite us having TMG. BOOMER SOONER BABY!!!

Very valid points. I also think TMG will be our point guard for four years. However, the way you sell this to Lil' Ray is to tell him that he can come in and compete for the starting job. Competition brings out the best in most players. If he doesn't win it than he gets the back up point guard role and the time at the two guard position with the fact that he will be the man when TMG leaves. Now I know this sounds naive, but Ray is a team player. He wants to play with the best. We also know that Coach Capel is very capable of working his magic in this situation. I'm a huge TMG fan, but this is a good way of keeping him honest so to speak. This is not the first rodeo where two players and a team would have to find a way to make the situation work. I'm hoping that this will be the script that plays out with Lil' Ray. That he comes to OU despite us having TMG. BOOMER SOONER BABY!!!

I agree Faithful that that is the approach you take I just tend to think that it will be difficult to recruit a pure PG with TMG on campus. I think you have a much better chance getting a kid who is fringe Top 100 rather than another Top 3 PG unless you're running a system like Roy Williams where you know you'll get plenty of burn and shots. Capel just doesn't run that kind of system as it stands right now.

I just think you don't find many situations where you sign back to back Top 5 pure PG's. It's much different than having WW who is a combo guy on campus and recruiting TMG as a pure PG. Kind of like having Chalmers and recruiting Collins.

Wow! Consider me impressed. If Ray has a weakness I sure didn't see it in these highlight videos. His skills are off the chart. I had no idea his handles, quickness and hops were that high level. I would love to see him back in Norman!

Thanks for posting, Sooner23.

McCallum to me is going to be one of the best players in this class. I love his game.
My favorite part of his game is he makes the easy pass every time.
Not many kids do that anymore.

Wow! Consider me impressed. If Ray has a weakness I sure didn't see it in these highlight videos. His skills are off the chart. I had no idea his handles, quickness and hops were that high level. I would love to see him back in Norman!

Thanks for posting, Sooner23.

Yeah, from everything I've seen and read he has REALLY matured in body/athleticism and along with his basketball IQ is just a great player to watch.

I think Ray and TMG would work very well together. Ray could play alongside TMG, but also could push it on the break and let TMG spot up. They could work together either way.

Collins/Chalmers/Robinson is a great example of this. So was Dee Brown and Deron Williams at Illinois.

I think Ray and TMG would work very well together. Ray could play alongside TMG, but also could push it on the break and let TMG spot up. They could work together either way.

Collins/Chalmers/Robinson is a great example of this. So was Dee Brown and Deron Williams at Illinois.

I agree...Tommy (based only on what I have seen) isn't a guy who dominated the ball in HS (in terms of running the offense) but was more of a score-first PG. I don't think he'd have any problems with who brought the ball up or ran the offense as long as he touched the ball and had a chance to score.

Did anyone else think McCallum plays a lot like Russel Westbrook? I see a lot of similarities--the getting to the hole and finishing, the passing, the hops....

It would be unreal to land Ray and Cam. I wouldn't even care if Capel took two abd JUCO big men to finish out the class if we got those two! :D

I don't think anyone is saying that Ray can't play next to TMG or it wouldn't be awesome. It absolutely would. The difference with your comparisons is that TMG is a pure PG already on campus, in those other situations that wasn't the case. Self brought in D. Williams and Collins to play PG because he had only combo guards on campus so far.

I agree if Capel got Clark, Taylor and Ray it would be ok to finish out the class with two big guys that are not 4 or 5 star guys. But I'd rather have somebody like Julian Washburn or James Johnson that might develop into a good player and play 4 years at OU than two juco big guys that end up at USC Aiken or Western Kentucky after barely touching the floor at OU.

Taking two juco big men in 2001 is a lot better deal than in 2009. Juco bball is just not what it was 10 years ago. There's not a lot of Ace McGhees and Taj Grays out there right now.

I agree if Capel got Clark, Taylor and Ray it would be ok to finish out the class with two big guys that are not 4 or 5 star guys. But I'd rather have somebody like Julian Washburn or James Johnson that might develop into a good player and play 4 years at OU than two juco big guys that end up at USC Aiken or Western Kentucky after barely touching the floor at OU.

Taking two juco big men in 2001 is a lot better deal than in 2009. Juco bball is just not what it was 10 years ago. There's not a lot of Ace McGhees and Taj Grays out there right now.

Oh, I agree with you bud. I just wanted to get a rise out of thebigabd!

The think that cracks me up now regarding Ray were the hordes of jayhawks on multiple fan blogs saying that Ray was a "KU lock". Now he could still wind up playing for the rug, but Detroit, OU, and a few others have legit chances at him as well.

Back