Ray Willis

SoonerfanTU

Banned
Reaction score
Sorry if I missed this elsewhere, but is he looking like a redshirt canidate at this point, and possibly a transfer?

Not trying to start transfer rumors, and I've heard nothing, but usually when a guy in that situation redshirts, he is moving on.

I dont know but I did see him nearly get a technical for interrupting play in the game tonight. Tiny had a big dunk and Ray was celebrating on the court while Nichols St was trying to break our press and nearly got in the way.

It is pretty obvious that he is not going to get much PT this year and he seems to have kind of checked out.

It's still amazing to me that he and Tony Neysmith were 4-star guys. Especially Neysmith. The guy has 1 pt in 6 games at Auburn and has played in all 6. He's basically 0-1 or 0-0 from the feild every game at OU/Auburn and just never seems/seemed to have the confidence to even take a shot. Hard to see how a guy like that was rated as a 4-star. Ray on the other hand does not have that problem. :)

I just think we've kinda recruited over him. I don't see him playing a lot this year or next year for that matter. He's never been able to develop enough to crack the lineup over whatever we've had here.

I was so pumped when he signed with OU...seemed like he would fill it up here. I guess his body style and practice habits (?) were his doom.

I said it before he came here but he definitely wasnt ready to contribute his 1st year, he just didnt have the body. Whatever improvements he has made however I think Zepp hit it right on the head, we ve gotten guys i.e. Pledger who are just better players then he is. Im sure if he works his butt off he ll contribute in year 3 or 4 but Im sensing a transfer like TU.

I said it before he came here but he definitely wasnt ready to contribute his 1st year, he just didnt have the body. Whatever improvements he has made however I think Zepp hit it right on the head, we ve gotten guys i.e. Pledger who are just better players then he is. Im sure if he works his butt off he ll contribute in year 3 or 4 but Im sensing a transfer like TU.

It's like he lost weight. He hasn't worked on his body at all. If he were to have added some muscle, he would see some time in a 4 guard lineup. He also has a slow release.

This kid is to playfull and dont take anything serious,it is hard to teach and coach a guy who dont want to be serious about getting better.Ray need to consider transferring and make room for a more serious player.I would recruit a big juco over him at this point.

Ray has only played in 2 games this year.

I fail to see what he is getting out of this. I don't have any information, but this just seems like a ripe situation for a transfer.

The timing of the alcohol related issue last year soured me. Had a lot to prove after that one IMO.

I hope he isnt a transfer, at this point i see him as a guy that would be a contributer during his Junior and Senior seasons benefiting from the experience playing in the program...

If he transfers he will not go to a Major Program, so unless he doesnt want to wait his turn to get his court time at OU and play in the BIG XII he can have all he wants at a school like North Texas...

I think SMU would be a great fit for this kid,talent will get u their but hard work keeps u their is he willing to put in the work?

It's still amazing to me that he and Tony Neysmith were 4-star guys. Especially Neysmith. The guy has 1 pt in 6 games at Auburn and has played in all 6. He's basically 0-1 or 0-0 from the feild every game at OU/Auburn and just never seems/seemed to have the confidence to even take a shot. Hard to see how a guy like that was rated as a 4-star. Ray on the other hand does not have that problem. :)

Ray is not shy about shooting. He would probably get more time if he became shy about shooting.

I hope he isnt a transfer, at this point i see him as a guy that would be a contributer during his Junior and Senior seasons benefiting from the experience playing in the program...

Thats just it though, he really isn't playing in the program. Practice? Sure, but he really isn't even getting mopup minutes.

Could he turn it around and contribute as an upperclassman? Yes. That said, I haven't seen anything that leads me to believe he'll ever be a top 5 guard on a good OU team.

But Morningstar is fine and the guys getting fights are fine. Your so full of it.

Denver when did I ever say Morningstar was fine? When did I ever say a fight was fine?
In fact here's EXACTLY what I said about Morningstar.

Morningstar is an idiot. This close to the other incident you can't be taking any chances. He's not going to get any clock this year now because 1st semester was probably where he was going to play the most while the young fella's learned.

Go back and check. In another thread I made a negative comment about Morningstar and got blasted for picking on a college kid. Please.
This random attacks and making stuff up by you is a joke.

I have a feeling you don't even understand what I meant by the timing of Willis arrrest on suspicion of DUI. Just like above I referenced the timing of Morningstar's was bad. People get DUI's....it happens....everyone makes mistakes but Morningstars was bad timing (Like I referenced) and Ray's was even worse timing from a standpoint of where his head was last year.

Why don't you cut out the junk. People don't want to read it.

If he transfers he will not go to a Major Program, so unless he doesnt want to wait his turn to get his court time at OU and play in the BIG XII he can have all he wants at a school like North Texas...

I agree with this. If he sticks around he could contribute during his years as an upper class men. However, is he transfers he can go to a mid-major. I really think the fact that he stuck around after last year with his alcohol issue and not getting playing time makes me think he is trying to get his head on straight and contribute at OU. If the center, small forward, three guard lineup becomes a main stay he could find him self contributing next year. Remember that WW and Croc are likely gone next year and if Ray wants it works for it he could be the first or more likely the second guard off the bench, which means he would get a chance to really contribute on a potentially really good team. On the other hand, he could go start at a mid major. For some reason, I think that Ray wants the chance to prove he is a legitimate Big 12 player.

I agree with this. If he sticks around he could contribute during his years as an upper class men. However, is he transfers he can go to a mid-major. I really think the fact that he stuck around after last year with his alcohol issue and not getting playing time makes me think he is trying to get his head on straight and contribute at OU....

Well said. He could help THIS year in fact...if his head is on straight. That is what he has yet to prove. This team could use him now. Let's hope he steps it up and is serious about becoming a solid Big 12 player.

Thats just it though, he really isn't playing in the program. Practice? Sure, but he really isn't even getting mopup minutes.

Could he turn it around and contribute as an upperclassman? Yes. That said, I haven't seen anything that leads me to believe he'll ever be a top 5 guard on a good OU team.

Practice is the program....reguardless of what people think, there is much more learning involved and growing in the system through practice than gametime for any player like Ray (doesnt get many minutes if any)...

This prepares them for their opportunity when it comes around...if he chooses to stick it out he will be rewarded

Back