Reality of this team

I was going to start my own thread, but this thread is appropriate enough…I was there today… sort of fully hit home for me today that no matter what happens (barring some sort of extreme results rest of way) it is just really clear Moser isn’t the answer. I like him personally and I was hopeful his demeanor and style would infuse life into the program— but it just doesn’t appear to be a fit.

Maybe this team will be able to avoid the TOTAL collapse of the last few years and squeak into the Tourney—they need 2 more wins and they might get them. And that would certainly technically be an improvement and perhaps a sign of relief if they at least participate in Madness for first time under Moser. But big picture… it just doesn’t really matter. The team is overall middling… the offense is just brutal game to game… and every chance they’ve had the past three years to vault themselves out of the “meh” zone, they’ve failed.

They aren’t incapable of winning games obviously and they aren’t incapable of beating a decent team. But I do believe they are incapable of ever doing anything exceptional— even in one game. There is never even a 10 minute stretch where they just can’t miss or they go nuts. Everything is a struggle and a grind… nothing is easy, nothing is fluid, nothing ever seems comfortable.

I think it’s most likely we find a way to squeeze in this year and Moser gets another year in SEC next year. But whether it’s now or whenever, this feels like an inevitable end to me. Kind of a bummer. Feels pretty lifeless.

I know Cincy and @OSU are mentioned as the two most likely wins, don’t really feel great about @OSU but imagine OU finds a way to get to 20 wins and likely tournament birth.

The start definitely raised expectations but before season was just hoping for tournament birth. I suppose that meets my personal expectation.

I know Cincy and @OSU are mentioned as the two most likely wins, don’t really feel great about @OSU but imagine OU finds a way to get to 20 wins and likely tournament birth.

The start definitely raised expectations but before season was just hoping for tournament birth. I suppose that meets my personal expectation.
As of now, barring something unexpected in the next week, I’ll be hammering OSU money line. Today was easy money taking KU and giving the points.

Moser must be very frustrated. McCollum is turn over prone but wants to play point guard. Number one thing for a point guard is taking care of the ball. Uzan should play point and McCollum should play shooting guard. None of our posts have a midrange game (can't make a 3 or 4 foot jump shot). You played basketball all of your life but can't be trusted to make a 3 or 4 foot jumper (SAD). Oweh shooting form is still not good. He is just a slasher and not a shooter (how many free throws did he miss?) How can you be a guard without being able to shoot (SAD). The only positive is Moore. He is the most improve player so far. This team will be one and done in the tournament if they don't start taking care of the ball and improve post play on the offensive end. Don't know if they even make the tournament. This Kansas game is winnable. They missed a whole bunch of outside shots. They didn't play a good game today but yet we managed to lose (turnovers and missed free throw). Man it is so frustrated to watch because we are talented enough to win.

I was going to start my own thread, but this thread is appropriate enough…I was there today… sort of fully hit home for me today that no matter what happens (barring some sort of extreme results rest of way) it is just really clear Moser isn’t the answer. I like him personally and I was hopeful his demeanor and style would infuse life into the program— but it just doesn’t appear to be a fit.

Maybe this team will be able to avoid the TOTAL collapse of the last few years and squeak into the Tourney—they need 2 more wins and they might get them. And that would certainly technically be an improvement and perhaps a sign of relief if they at least participate in Madness for first time under Moser. But big picture… it just doesn’t really matter. The team is overall middling… the offense is just brutal game to game… and every chance they’ve had the past three years to vault themselves out of the “meh” zone, they’ve failed.

They aren’t incapable of winning games obviously and they aren’t incapable of beating a decent team. But I do believe they are incapable of ever doing anything exceptional— even in one game. There is never even a 10 minute stretch where they just can’t miss or they go nuts. Everything is a struggle and a grind… nothing is easy, nothing is fluid, nothing ever seems comfortable.

I think it’s most likely we find a way to squeeze in this year and Moser gets another year in SEC next year. But whether it’s now or whenever, this feels like an inevitable end to me. Kind of a bummer. Feels pretty lifeless.
Maybe the saddest part is that Monday night, as KU was getting curb stomped, a KU fan texted me about how embarrassing their performance was, and I immediately replied that she should at least take some comfort in knowing that they had a “get right” game coming up in Norman. No matter how bad they were playing away from Lawrence, and even if McCullar wouldn’t have been able to play today, and even if we had been full strength, I never entertained the possibility that we would be able to beat them.

There is nothing going for this program right now. I’m sick of hearing about high school recruiting. Los and Oweh are adequate at best. Cooper is in witness protection. Luke must have incriminating pictures of Porter or else there is no rational explanation for him playing. We have one good (on paper) signee who will likely ride the pine next year, plus a kid who will likely struggle to ever be a difference maker at the P5 level.

Meanwhile, we are three years in and I still have no clue what our identity is. We are good defensively but no better than middle of of the pack in our league in that regard. Our offense is putrid. We don’t do anything that Majerus Lite spends his offseasons talking about. We brought in a five man who isn’t in good enough shape to beat out a guy who is a very hard worker but best suited to be a backup who plays 12 minutes a game. We make tons of low IQ plays. Moser rarely seems capable of adjusting within games in ways that give us a tactical advantage. It just feels like a lost cause.

There’s a very real possibility that this team doesn’t win another game. Best case, maybe 1-2 wins. Yikes.
2 wins makes them a lock for the NCAA tourney ... and 8-10 in the best conf in the country .. and 20 wins in the regular season ..

that is something EVERYONE would have taken before the season started ..

The more I watch the more I think it’s not the players but that they don’t fit the offensive system. They are not being utilized to their full potential.
I'm the exact opposite.
I watch our players verse others in the conference and I see a massive difference in talent

Agreed that we CAN potentially win maybe 3 more games the rest of the season/post season, which would be an improvement on last season, so technically Porter's headed in the right direction, BUT how many players leave again after this year and we'll have to replenish a full roster's vacancies again, it's just like a never ending cycle. We need to pull off some upsets in the B12 tourney in order to redeem ourselves but do we have the players to do so? Anyone know the status on Hughley and Soares? Are they out for the season?

Not even close to starting a portal thread a month out so I'll just throw this in here...

An interesting name that is likely to portal or being rumored to?

Sean Pedulla - VA Tech.

From OKC. More specifically, he played high school ball at Edmond Memorial. I believe Oklahoma State came in second and OU didn't really target him. My memory may be off there...it's been a while.

Anyway, he'd certainly help OU.

I’m going to say it… hate me or not…

Our 3 guards.. uzan jm and Oweh CANNOT handle the ball very well.

Just watch how they dribble, (high, loose) and how they handle the ball in traffic…

Obviously the opposition talent has increased a lot. We’ve (due to better defenses) have really slowed down, not a lot of fast break runs… so it seems. That just means more ball handling in half court.

Roast away

Just watch how they dribble, (high, loose) and how they handle the ball in traffic…

Obviously the opposition talent has increased a lot. We’ve (due to better defenses) have really slowed down, not a lot of fast break runs… so it seems. That just means more ball handling in half court.

Roast away
Nothing about this is inaccurate

Roast away
I think the entire board would probably agree

I'd disagree with the above post.. Uzan is very good with the ball.. solid pass first guy with length.. I think he needs to be more aggressive at attacking the rim/scoring. JM is just small.. he's a very small 2 guard in the best conference in nation. Those guys need more help more shooting around them.

I still have hope for this team to make the tourney at even win a game. I want Moser to work out, think he's solid and a good recruiter.
Needs/thoughts for next season:
Hugley/Transfer impactful legit shot blocker. Don't see Northweather being the answer.
Like what we have with Moore and the #4 position future.. HS kid coming in, plus Cole.
Oweh is in a weird spot.. Size/athleticism perfect for us.. but if he can't find ways to score we are in trouble.. who do you start over him or how do you find a transfer with him there?
1/2 guards will be the same, plus Cooper/Forsythe.

I also like thinking about how Moser can build around the current pieces we have, but based on his track record at OU and the current transfer portal era, I'm bracing for another mass exodus between seasons.

Back