Rubio to enter draft

Comparing him to Jennings isn't winning any points, because the verdict is still out on him. I'm just not sold on Euro players being phenoms in the NBA. The best two Euro players are Dirk, Parker, and Pau. Tony and Pau are sort of a franchise player and Dirk is a franchise player. Outside of those guys, their are some good Euro players, but not any I would consider franchise. I like Batum, Diaw, Fernandez, Calderon and some of those guys as players, but not faces of franchises.

When it all comes down to it in my opinion, is Rubio going to be the guy that in a game 7, they spread the court out for him, give him the ball, and say go win it?

International "Franchise" Players
Tony Parker: France
Pau Gasol: Spain
Dirk Nowitzki: Germany
Yao Ming: China

Am I missing anyone?

Comparing him to Jennings isn't winning any points, because the verdict is still out on him. I'm just not sold on Euro players being phenoms in the NBA. The best two Euro players are Dirk, Parker, and Pau. Tony and Pau are sort of a franchise player and Dirk is a franchise player. Outside of those guys, their are some good Euro players, but not any I would consider franchise. I like Batum, Diaw, Fernandez, Calderon and some of those guys as players, but not faces of franchises.

When it all comes down to it in my opinion, is Rubio going to be the guy that in a game 7, they spread the court out for him, give him the ball, and say go win it?

Probably not, but neither is Westbrook or any other guy in this draft. You already have a guy who can fill that role anyway in Durant, so that argument is void. This class is weak so you take the best available, I like Hill as well so it will be interesting to see what happens.

As for the toughness characteristic, I don't really buy that because Euro-league is very physical, I'm sure he's taken his shots from guys who were trying to prove something over there. The guy can play and you draft him on potential alone, that is what you would be doing if you drafted Hill, Thabeet or anyone else.

Probably not, but neither is Westbrook or any other guy in this draft. You already have a guy who can fill that role anyway in Durant, so that argument is void. This class is weak so you take the best available, I like Hill as well so it will be interesting to see what happens.

As for the toughness characteristic, I don't really buy that because Euro-league is very physical, I'm sure he's taken his shots from guys who were trying to prove something over there. The guy can play and you draft him on potential alone, that is what you would be doing if you drafted Hill, Thabeet or anyone else.

He's a good get for the OKC perspective. Like you said, they have a franchise guy. Also, anything, I repeat, Anything to get Melvin Watson out of there would be welcome. I think Hill will do the things that you see from Noah and Tyrus Thomas of the bulls. Alot of the problem with OKC in my opinion is they are inconsistent on how they are going to attack offensively. One game Kevin Durant will dominate the ball and the next game, he's floating on the perimeter. A pg that can facilitate Durant would be a plus. I think OKC has a chance to get two great complimentary players. I like Hill in the top of the draft, and Terrence Williams in the bottom of the first round. I think Terrence Williams can play the PG on offense and guard a SG on defense. It gives OKC an extra assistman, shot blocker and an two extra rebounders.

Yes, they already do that with him. I think so. He was the kid that willed his Spanish U-16 team to the European championship with 51 points in the title game, including a half-court shot to send it to overtime. He has the killer instinct at the end of games, the "I will us to win" thing.

Very, very few can guard him 1 on 1, and he will find the open man if they sag off.

Rubio looks like a player to me. His passing skills are amazing.

Not quite sure how to take this. Sounds kinda racist to me.

No. It's an attitude you have to have in basketball and a common pickup ball term. To attack someone off of the dribble in a pick up game is called "gangstering". Having a small player on you in the post is called "mouse in the house". Tossing people around in the paint is called "grownmannin" someone. An easy layup is called a "crip".

No. It's an attitude you have to have in basketball and a common pickup ball term. To attack someone off of the dribble in a pick up game is called "gangstering". Having a small player on you in the post is called "mouse in the house". Tossing people around in the paint is called "grownmannin" someone. An easy layup is called a "crip".

I can honestly say I've never heard those terms, not saying you're wrong, but I guess I play pick-up on a different block.

Chicago pickup. I've had friends who have come from Chicago and play pickup ball that used the term "crip" when referring to a missed layup and have almost gotten into fights over it. I had to explain to some of the guys that we played against that he's from Chicago, they don't have Crips and Bloods.

In the driveways of Broken Arrow suburbs, here is our terminology:

To attack someone off of the dribble is called: Attacking someone off the dribble.

Having a small player on you in the post is call: A height advantage, or normal since we are all of average size.

Tossing people around in the paint is called: A foul.

An easy layup is called a: Bunny, in honor of Steve Lavin, our hero.

Last edited:

In the driveways of Broken Arrow suburbs, here is our terminology:

On the mean streets of Taos, New Mexico:

To attack someone off of the dribble is called: Off the bounce

Having a small player on you in the post is call: Demographics, everyone was hispanic.

An easy layup is called a: A pup.

What the heck is going on in this thread?

To attack someone off of the dribble in a pick up game is called "gangstering". Having a small player on you in the post is called "mouse in the house". Tossing people around in the paint is called "grownmannin" someone. An easy layup is called a "crip".
I've heard most of that, especially mouse in the house. I've never heard a missed layup called a crip, however.

Back to the topic. If the Thunder can't get Blake, I would love to have Rubio.

Last edited:
On the mean streets of Taos, New Mexico:

To attack someone off of the dribble is called: Off the bounce

Having a small player on you in the post is call: Demographics, everyone was hispanic.

An easy layup is called a: A pup.

We used pup some. Gangsterin and Grownmannin someone was more used if a guy was going on a streak. A poke away steal is called a bloop. It's funny how some pickup term is passed down from generation to generation. I saw Magic Johnson refer to some guy as getting Gangstered.

We used pup some. Gangsterin and Grownmannin someone was more used if a guy was going on a streak. A poke away steal is called a bloop. It's funny how some pickup term is passed down from generation to generation. I saw Magic Johnson refer to some guy as getting Gangstered.

I just dont think I could pull those terms off, lol.

Could you use Swackums after knocking down a three? The one I wish would be retired is And 1. And 1 had started gaining popularity in my pickup days and after hearing it 40 times a game, I want it gone.

Could you use Swackums after knocking down a three? The one I wish would be retired is And 1. And 1 had started gaining popularity in my pickup days and after hearing it 40 times a game, I want it gone.

The one I hated was "Saupo"(sp?), it's spanish slang for a lucky shot. First day of practice at the new school and I had no idea what they were saying, but it got real old, real fast.

Back