Scouting report on

Seymore Cox

Reaction score
Took time to watch the games on NJCAA tv and came away with what i think is a very detailed scouting report based on the games that I've saw.

Marquise Carter

Bad: Marquise's measurement seem to be a little off. Doesn't seem to be 6'4. Seems more like 6'2. He doesn't come off as Overly athletic. Doesnt have an explosive first step. TMG, is a guard that sometimes looks like he's shot out of a Cannon. Carter doesnt have that. He's going to need two or three dribbles to beat his man off the dribble and that's too many. For a pg, you want a one dribble move and a blow by. Doesn't shoot well off the move. If he catches off the move, he has a hard time gathering himself and shooting a form perfect shot. He seems to be just an average shooter. Shoots better when he gets he feet set like everyone. Defensively, he has a long ways to go. He doesn't put alot of pressure on the ball. I suspect that is because he has sacrificied doing that because of getting beat. He also doesn't put alot of pressure in the passing lane. He has a very difficult time against screens. He doesn't understand that you need to post the high screener so you can slide by him so you can cut off your man when he makes his move to the bucket. One problem he has, which is a problem that OU guards had all last year, is that he's reactive to the pass instead of being proactive. By that I mean wen a perimeter pass is made, he's so far off the ball that he's running to close out instead of snapping on the pass and playing one pass away defense. He's playing one and a half passes away. Overall, he doesn't have very good defensive awareness.

The Good: High offensive IQ. I love the fact that his whole game is to try and create the post entry pass. That's not something you see in Juco ball, which is alot like AAU basketball in the fact that everyone is out for theres. He takes what the defense gives him. If the back off of him he'll take a shot or eliminate the cushion and suck in the defender of shoot a runner. He keeps the ball moving on the perimeter. He didn't overdribble. When he did overdribble it was in attempts to set up post entry passes. He's real crafty. Defensively as I stated he's not great, but he understand basic pg respoonsibilities like being the first man back on defense. He's also a very good rebounding guard and rebounds pretty good in the paint. Usually good rebounding guards generally get rebounds on long jumpers. I liked his leadership aspect. Talks on the court, picks teammates up when they need it.

Overall view: It's obvious why he got overlooked, because he's not athletically like most pgs. However, to me it was like looking at Terrell Everett. Almost a clone of TE. The ballhandling, the setting up the floor, managing the offensive end of the court, and almost identical to TE. Basically I like him alot on the offensive end. Defensively, some of his errors are correctable. His approach on the high screen can be corrected and his he can learn one pass away defensive approaches to add a little pressure in the passing lane. Onball defense is proably someting that can't be corrected as quick. I think he is a upgrade in many ways and with the right surrounding cast can have a Quannas White/Terrell Everett type impact.

CJ Washington

A guy that I started mentioning a bit because he was the top juco player in the state, but I never had a chance to watch him play. Up to this point OU has not recruited him so a scouting report may be a moot point. The biggest suprise in watching him on the two games they had is that he plays the five. Not only does he play the five, but most of his skill coincide with the center position as opposed to the hybrid or the 4.

The Bad The bad is his measurements as well. Seemed to be 6'6 about 220 to 225. He played in very vanilla offensive sets. Not alot of high screening and rolling, not much down screening or UCLA cuts. On shot attempst he fades and floats a bit. He does that because he's undersized. I'd rather see him get in the chest of the defender on his shot attempts. That requires a little more strength. Doesn't pass well out of the post. Defensively, he has some issues. He's about a half step behind on guys driving to the bucket. He's got to improve on that. He's not a shot blocker. He's not even a weakside shot blocker. As a matter of fact he plays for the rebound on the drive which is not good. He needs to be more like Nick Collison and play for the charge or to atleast stop the drive and not sacrifice points to get into rebound position. Defensively he stuggles against the strong, active guys. Mamadou Sek really gave him a tough time. He doesn't have alot of extra to his game. He's not going to blow by a guy off the dribble from 15ft, he's not going to come through and slam a tip home dunk running from the top of the key. He's not prolific from 15ft with the jumper. He's basically servicable in the post.

The good

He's a top level rebounder. Knows how to seal off his man and get the rebound. He's not an above the rim rebounder, but he blocks out very well. Did a good job of manufacturing points. Connors didn't do anything fancy to get him looks. He basically got looks from sealing his man and turning on the pivot. He was very crafty at getting shot attempts in the post. Works very hard to keep his shots from being contested. Had very few shots contested and battled against alot of double teams. He ran the floor well. That will pay off with followup attempts. He's a guy that can emerge as a hustle player who gets alot of hustle points and gets alot of loose balls and tough boards.

Overall view: It would be good to see him gain about 10 to 15lbs of muscle so he is strong enough to be a true power forward. He is a very good positional player. Moreso on Offense than defense. He wants to score around the rim. He's not a guy that's going to sit and be in love with taking jumpers. He wants to grind with you and be crafty around the bucket. He's not going to pout if he doesn't get the ball in the flow of the offense because he's going to get the offensive board. I think with him and Carter, it is very obvious to see why they needed to take the juco route. They're not what you envision when you talk about having a starting pg or a starting pf. But the negatives are very manageable and there positives are in alot of ways intangibles. I think both will be effective players on the high major level and on a mid major level both could be stars.

Last edited:
Thanks for the scouting reports. I would watch the videos, but I can't get a picture and I'm not smart enough to figure out how to fix it. It's nice to have an idea about what these players are like.

Carter and Washington's games sound similar to Corey Brewer and Juan Patillo. I hope we get them both. Them and Aziz, and McCallum, and Jones...etc etc :)

Thanks for the scouting reports. I would watch the videos, but I can't get a picture and I'm not smart enough to figure out how to fix it. It's nice to have an idea about what these players are like.

Carter and Washington's games sound similar to Corey Brewer and Juan Patillo. I hope we get them both. Them and Aziz, and McCallum, and Jones...etc etc :)

Patillo was an above the rim player that was not crafty at all, pure athlete, low BBall IQ. Corey Brewer was a guy that had a pretty quick first step and was deceptively athletic, had he been 3" taller, he would have been in the NBA.

I like the Terrell Everett comparison for Carter, and for Washington I am hearing a little more Ernie Abercrombie at the D-1 level. Both solid players in the right system.

I've watched them both a little and I would say it's more like Jameel Heywood and Terrell Everett. Although I think Washington is better than Heywood and Carter isn't quite as good as Everett.

Thanks for the scouting reports, DM.

Given size, athletic ability, skill level, etc do you think Washington could be a Marshall Moses type? I wouldnt say Moses is an "above the rim" rebounder but he blocks out really well and gets all the boards in his area.

I've watched them both a little and I would say it's more like Jameel Heywood and Terrell Everett. Although I think Washington is better than Heywood and Carter isn't quite as good as Everett.

These guys sound like great "depth" guys...

Thanks for the scouting reports, DM.

Given size, athletic ability, skill level, etc do you think Washington could be a Marshall Moses type? I wouldnt say Moses is an "above the rim" rebounder but he blocks out really well and gets all the boards in his area.

I like the Moses comparison. Patillo was the best comparison I could come up with of recent OU juco forwards that were 6-6.

Character-wise, I hope Carter is more like Brewer and less like Everett. I do not remember Everett as fondly as most do on this board. I remember him getting arrested and us losing in the first round against Milwakee-Wisconsin when he was here.

I like the Moses comparison. Patillo was the best comparison I could come up with of recent OU juco forwards that were 6-6.

Character-wise, I hope Carter is more like Brewer and less like Everett. I do not remember Everett as fondly as most do on this board. I remember him getting arrested and us losing in the first round against Milwakee-Wisconsin when he was here.

Moses is really alot more skilled than he let off to be this year. Maybe it was all the weed, but he didn't play to his top level. Moses has a mid range game, and a two dribble drive game from 18ft. Last year Moses was a high energy guy, this year he wasn't. Washington really is more of a pure low post guy which really suprised me. It will be interesting to see what he would do in the high screen game which is so highly prevalent in college basketball. As for Carter, from a character standpoint based on just oncourt demeanor, he seems like the guy that's gonna bring the fellas pizza back to the Hotel whereas our other guy seems to be a guy that comes back to the hotel and tells the guys "sorry I already ate". But from a talent aspect, there is no comparison between Carter and the other guy. The other guy is extremely more talented.

Took time to watch the games on NJCAA tv and came away with what i think is a very detailed scouting report based on the games that I've saw.
Thanks, DM.

Nicely done, DM!

I like the TE/Carter comparison on offense. Marquise is not as athletic as Terrell, but he has some of the same qualities and skills. On the plus side, he is not as turnover prone, at least in the games I saw.

I was a lot more impressed with his defense in the last two games I watched. He appeared to be disinterested in the first game. But to be perfectly honest, I have not seen great defense from anyone on a consistent basis in this tournament so far.

That said, the entire Three Rivers team, Carter in particular, played with a lot more energy against NFS on Wednesday. I think he could be a good defender when the game is on the line and with the right coaching. I have no idea if he is self-motivated to play solid D if no one is pushing him?

Back