Serious Question: Is this season going to set back OU basketball?

the recruiting class we had this year was one of the most highly touted in our schools history

so yes, i think we will have take a step back in recruiting because of this season

So what? We only play 2 freshmen and one of them has been a 6-9 300 lb guard He doesn't know how to play power forward and he's that big. Mason Griffin will be really good, but I've seen better freshmen at OU than we have right now.

I don't think we can continue to use the argument about freshman...If you look at Kentucky they are starting 3 freshman, 2 guards and 1 center, and they are 12-0...I realize that they are more balanced top to bottom than us, but a lot of teams are playing freshman...I think at some point is does go back to coaching...I'm not going to dog JC, but we've had the same problems all year, and I have seen little to no improvement...Maybe it's not coaching...Maybe it's that the kids don't care...I don't know, but it's painful...

what point are you trying to make?
Capel has had 4 years of recruits and basically should have program in place already this team doesn't look like they know how to play basketball, if that's what we will see from Capel coached teams he won't last long as a coach no matter what anyone says about our recruiting. I don't care if he's recruiting McD's AAs every the talent we put out on the court isn't really that good outside of player or two and they don't even know how to play the game. When Sampson was here we would have years where we didn't have great talent but we had guys that knew what to do in the system. We look like a team without a system right now. That really isn't going to work.

Jeff may be a good guy and a good recruiter but what does he want to run at OU? How are we going to get consistent points. We don't have a system that really feeds our best talents. And we don't have an actual team we just have guys that play as individuals.

I don't think we can continue to use the argument about freshman...If you look at Kentucky they are starting 3 freshman, 2 guards and 1 center, and they are 12-0...I realize that they are more balanced top to bottom than us, but a lot of teams are playing freshman...I think at some point is does go back to coaching...I'm not going to dog JC, but we've had the same problems all year, and I have seen little to no improvement...Maybe it's not coaching...Maybe it's that the kids don't care...I don't know, but it's painful...

Kentucky has a system knows what they want to do and plays as a team. We play as individuals and don't really have a system.

Last year we had a guy in Blake that improved so much that he was the unanamous player of the year that wasn't really Capel's doing it was his desire. The year before we were a little better than average that's about it, the year before that below average. Take out last year when Blake put hard work to get so much better and what has Capel really done as a coach?

I think NickZepp is right. I just lost my faith in Jeff Capel after this and now I'm ready for him to prove he deserves this job. The Quin Synder analogy seems spot on.

This team has three mcd all-americans. There is no excuse for being beaten by these kinds of teams. I never saw a Kelvin Sampson team play like this, no matter how talented or not. Ever.

I think NickZepp is right. I just lost my faith in Jeff Capel after this and now I'm ready for him to prove he deserves this job. The Quin Synder analogy seems spot on.

This team has three mcd all-americans. There is no excuse for being beaten by these kinds of teams. I never saw a Kelvin Sampson team play like this, no matter how talented or not. Ever.

There were times when we were just pounded by Kansas, Texas, or Cincy even if we played hard, they just had NBA guys that killed everyone. The last couple of years we had some lapses where we didn't play as hard all the time though. But we never were a team that didn't have some type of system.

I think Quin Snyder is a bit off because I don't think I've ever seen Capel and thought he was clueless. Everytime they showed a Snyder press conference after a bad loss he looked clueless. I've never seen that from Capel, heck I like what he says after the games. I'm just not sure if anything he says really does anything because the results haven't shot it.

Last year we had a guy in Blake that improved so much that he was the unanamous player of the year that wasn't really Capel's doing it was his desire. The year before we were a little better than average that's about it, the year before that below average. Take out last year when Blake put hard work to get so much better and what has Capel really done as a coach?

Blake would disagree with you, he credits Coach Capel for his improvement from year 1 to year 2.

Some of these posts are comical. The Snyder-Capel comparisons are a riot.

I am definitely not happy with how we're playing right now, but I don't think Capel has to "prove" his worth. Offensively we're fine as long as we are hitting jump shots, otherwise there are going to be a lot of long nights.

Defense is obviously not our strong suit...but that doesn't have to do with coaching, that's based on recruiting. Defense is not about having a system, but the personnel to get it done. Some posters were saying earlier in the year that our guys are learning to play defense...either you can play defense at this level or you can't. You may improve a little bit, but that probably comes in the offseason with strength training and personal workouts.

I am looking forward to watching this crop of players grow up, there is a ton of potential for the younger guys that get solid minutes...especially since the freshmen are likely to be here another 2-3 years. The biggest problem I see is the lack of depth across the board. I give Fitz a pass because he is a freshman and could develop into a player. However, having Hardrick, Allen, Willis on scholarship is a huge hole on our roster.

Some of these posts are comical. The Snyder-Capel comparisons are a riot.

Yes, they are a riot. Coach Capel has gotten the most out of the three OU teams he has coached prior to this year. Quin Snyder never got the most out of three teams he coached...the 2002 team proved to be a fluke on his coaching resume. Coach Capel has seemingly gotten the most out of his four VCU teams as well. So, we're comparing a coach who is 7 for 7 in getting the most out of his talent vs. a coach who went 1 for 6 (or something like that).

No one can be happy with the job Coach Capel has done this year, but some of you are completely overreacting because of one bad month. How about we let the season play out before concluding that it's time to start looking for a new head coach?

And to answer the original poster's question, NO this program is not taking a step backward because of four bad weeks of basketball. Coach Capel has obviously made some recruiting blunders, but I expected that when Joe C hired a 31 year old to run the men's basketball program. I expect he will learn from these mistakes, and learn soon.

UTEP = Sad day for OU BB

This is a huge loss today. We were pounded, UTEP was better at 4 of the 5 positions today.

How can anyone say he got the best out of his first team? He didn't even play his best player half that season. That was his fault.

How can anyone say he got the best out of his first team? He didn't even play his best player half that season. That was his fault.

Simple. He didn't have a lot of talent to work with. I was hoping for an NIT berth when the season started, but would settle for a winning record. Sure, a more seasoned (meaning OLDER and more experienced) coach would have gotten another victory or two with that bunch and squeezed into the NIT. All in all, he did a good job with what he had. His second year, we got pounded by 30 points in the 2nd round of the NCAA's. That was enough to tell you right there the talent wasn't Sweet 16 caliber. Last season ended with an Elite Eight, and would have ended a round or two later save for an untimely concussion. We simply were not beating UNC last year no matter what. That makes him 3 for 3 at OU. However, he's about to go 3 for 4 if this defense doesn't improve dramatically.

So he didn't even play his best player(Nate Carter) till conference play because the team sucked? That makes no sense. If he played Nate like he did in conference play that team probably makes the NCAA Tournament.

That 06-07 team was not as devoid of talent as everyone makes it out to be. It had plenty of talent to go to the NIT. It was 15-8 at one point and on the bubble of making the big tourney. Then it tanked completely, losing a terrible game against Iowa St. A couple games later it had another bad loss against Missouri. Win those two games and OU probably would have hosted an NIT game.

Is a starting lineup of Austin Johnson, Tony Crocker, Mike Neal, Nate Carter, and Longar Longar really much worse than what OU's throwing out there right now? None of those guys were bad players, and the bench had Godbold and Taylor Griffin, guys who were better contributors than anything on OU's bench right now.

The major difference is that the 2007 team appeared to care at least a little about defense. This year's team has a bunch of guys who can score, and two guys who give the kind of defensive effort needed to win in the Big 12.

Back