Sherman-Denison Recap

Sam

Reaction score
Just got back from the game and it did not disappoint as both future Sooners put on a show. Sherman won and off the top of my head I believe the score was 54-48.

First there was T.J. Taylor who had amazing first half where he was hitting everything. His shot was falling and his improved range from deep was shown off. Of course he was so hot he banked in a three (might've been a long 2) to end the first half although I did not hear him call glass. T.J. also showed toughness down low as he battled down low and ended up with over 10 rebounds. I never saw an official count but it was Tony Crocker vs Arkansas like as he was consistently securing the board then pushing the ball up court or finding a man down court. Also his ankle appeared to be fine with the way he was dunking in warm ups and the way he played.
Unoffical stats.
26 points, 10+ rebounds, 3-5 assits.

Cameron's jumper wasn't falling today but he found other ways to impact the game. First he put on a block party to start the game as anytime a Yellow Jacket brought weak stuff down low earlier they were rejected. He also showed good vision and some smarts, one time I recall him passing up a semi-open three on a fast break to find his team's sharpshooter from deep wide open. Also as always he put on a acrobatic show above the rim, as he had 3 rim rockers that had the Denison crowd in shock while the Sherman faithful loud and crazy. One particular alley oop slam came with Sherman trailing by 10 in the 3rd quarter and it sparked a 10-0 run to tie the game up.

Unoffical stats
22 points, 5+ blocks

Except some highlights of this great game to be uploaded soon.

I would add more but the round trip drive and the 12 PM tip off for OU has me ready to go to bed.

If any other OUhoops people were able to make it out for the game it would be great to hear their thoughts on it.

Thanks for going Sam and for the update.

Loved the report on two future Sooners, Sam! Thanks for your efforts!!! :clap

Judging by everything I've read and seen on video, T. J. and Cam are two players who won't have to be motivated to bring energy and excitement to the court. I look forward to seeing them in an OU uniform next season!

Good recap, Sam. Coach Cline was in attendance. Hopefully BigTime can get a video made for the site early next week.

I have been to every denison and sherman game and i my opinion this was the best one the score was 56 to 48.The kid Clark had 24pts,6asst,5blkshots,and 3monster dunks,6rbs.Taylor had 25pts,15r so rbs and 3asst what a game people this game should be televised when they meet in sherman.To whom it may concern please use your power with espnu to make this happen just the fans theirself is worth televising.

Thanks, Chico.

I will have the highlights up by Monday.

I was told to go to kten.com and click on sports to see highlites of the game.

Thanks for the tip chico. There are a few highlights here. How about that reverse jam by Taylor? Nice. Didn't know he had that in him. And that tomahawk dunk by Clark catching the ball with his back to the basket about five feet away, turning around taking two steps and throwing down the tomahawk. Just beautiful.

http://www.kten.com/Global/category.asp?C=68600&nav=menu410_4

BTW, I heard chico was spotted breakdancing in the streets of Sherman last night after the win.

Last edited:
Sam,

Give us some more of your impressions of Taylor if you don't mind. Does he look like more of a combo guard or do you think he can play the point? How does he stack up athletically to what we have on the team this year? Basically, I guess I'm just wanting to know how you think he would fit into next year's team since you're one of the few here to have seen him play in a real game.

Chico, Cam only had 5 blocks? Man I thought he had 5 in the first quarter alone, then he had the volleyball like swat in the second half. He was definitely showing his hops like he always does.

23, I think right now T.J. is a Willie Warren like Combo-guard. As I watched the game and when he lead Denison on their run in second-third quarters it looked similar to watching Willie at times. He might not be as skilled offensively as Willie but the way he took over the game for that period and the emotion he showed reminded of Willie. I think he can play the point but I do not think at this stage in his career he should be the primary point guard (30+ plus minutes a game) in a major conference. He shares the point guard duties at Denison but when he does run the offense he does look pretty comfortable. As I mentioned earlier he likes to push it up the court, he showed some a good basketball IQ when he did last night. With either a smart outlet pass (as he had to play in post due to Denison's lack of size) or just taking it himself. I also liked his court vision as he made some good passes, al though some of his fancier ones will most likely not fly in college. He also is not afraid to dump to a teammate when driving, which if he had a better supporting cast he could've ended up with some more dimes. If Capel does not sign another "true" PG (juco or high school) I think T.J. would be a good option as the back up to TMG 5-10 minutes a game.

Athletically I loved what I saw as he showed no ill signs of his previous ankle injury. First I never thought he was as explosive vertically as I saw last night. I was not really paying a whole attention to him in warm ups cause I figured it anybody was throwing down the highlight reel stuff it would be Cam, but as I watched T.J. I realized on a healthy ankle he has some quality stuff of his own. He also has a nice first step when driving, so athletically he will at the minimum be able to hold his own at the next level.

It is kind of hard to say on how T.J. will fit in with next year's squad. On the assumption that Willie goes pro and Cameron finds a spot as the 3 in the line up (plus us playing a true post at the 4 spot ;) ) I think he would be in a battle with Ray as the second wing off the bench (behind Pledger). But with the current line up he would be the primary back up PG which I think would lead to 5-10 minutes a night by itself. After watching the deficiencies of this team (defense and attitude) according to this board, I think given the attitude and hard work T.J. showed last night he is going to push for playing time based on those merits alone. That is just going with off what we have right now though, if Capel brings in a true PG then T.J.'s PG minutes are not going to be as abundant and assuming Ray continues to progress one would assume a junior with his time in the system would have a huge edge over a true freshman. But with still a lot of the current season, recruiting and offseason to go I find it hard to predict how T.J. ends up contributing next year. I just know from what I've seen T.J. has talent, skills and isn't afraid to work hard and get his nose dirty so it will be hard to keep him on the bench.

Also metroplex hoops has a nice write up on the game.
In Round One of the battle of Texoma County, both future Oklahoma Sooner shine bright in front Oklahoma Assistant Mark Cline. Cameron Clark lead Sherman with 23 points, 6 blocks, and 4 assist. In a hard fought losing effort, Denison’s TJ Taylor finished with 25 points, 18 rebounds, and 4 assist.

I have just a few freshmen names to throw at you when you speak of seasoned juniors are sniors such as Ray vs.Tj taylor.Avery bradley,John Wall, Demarcus cousins,i will stop their if i had a player that have not shown me anything on the court are off the court such as Ray willis,i as a coach would not waste his time nor mine and i like Ray.

I have just a few freshmen names to throw at you when you speak of seasoned juniors are sniors such as Ray vs.Tj taylor.Avery bradley,John Wall, Demarcus cousins,i will stop their if i had a player that have not shown me anything on the court are off the court such as Ray willis,i as a coach would not waste his time nor mine and i like Ray.

I love Taylor, but realistically he isn't going to make an immediate impact like Bradley, Wall or Cousins. I do however agree with the point that Taylor has a chance to beat out Ray even though Ray is more experienced. However, experience is worth quite a lot. However, Taylor seems like the kind of guard most coaches want to find playing time for. He seems to be a hard worker who has been willing to do anything for his team.

what do you call experience Ray, being on the team for 2yrs and not playing lol no my friend thats not experience PLAYING BASKETBALL GAMES is experience.I like Ray,but this kid clowns around to much the only thing Ray can tell Tj taylor is where the classroom is located.

Back