Softball

OU won 9-1 over Kentucky in five and 6-2 over Notre Dame in regulation.

Lopez and Sailes against Kentucky. Juarez and Sailes against Notre Dame.

OU lost to FSU 4-7 seeing the effects of losing their top two pitchers (Parker and Lowary). Saile gave up 4 HR's getting the ball on too much of the white of the plate. Juarez allowed 1. OU allowed only 20 HR's in 62 games last year. The top competition in the Power 5 conference is slightly better hitters than the Conference USA hitters as Shannon learned today. She has to learn to keep the ball on the black of the plate.

FSU's freshman pitcher came in the 2nd inning and allowed only 1 run. FSU only left 1 runner on base.

OU offense is going to need every run their offense can generate this year. I expect the team era will be 0.50 higher than last years 1.12 era.

Also we have made 7 errors in 8 games YTD. Last year we made 22 for the 62 game season.

Hitting I think will be our biggest weakness this year. We leave far too many people on base. We seem to be hitting much like we did in the latter part of last year.
Our pitcher's control wasnt particularly sharp today.

(2-16-2019) Sooners are batting in the top of the 2nd inning and are leading Hofstra 15-3.

So far, Sooners have 10 hits, including 5 home runs, with 2 outs in the top of the 2nd inning.

http://stats.statbroadcast.com/broadcast/?id=254299

EDIT: After batting in the top of the 2nd inning, OU has 10 hits in 16 At-Bats. Big day to improve the batting averages.

Last edited:
Where were they when we needed them? The difference is pitching. Florida State pitchers were much superior and ours were slightly off yesterday. Hofstra pitchers were not as good.

Oklahoma Softball (9-1) completes a successful trip to Florida, going 4-1 in the St. Pete/Clearwater Elite Invitational. Coach Gasso and her team likely learned a lot about the new pitching staff and other new players during the trip. Any season is a journey, and the key is to improve during the long journey. It will be interesting to see who ends up being the Ace of the pitching staff. Someone that struggles early in the season can end up excelling later on. We shall see.

RESULTS - St. Pete/Clearwater Elite Invitational
WON 9-1 vs. #21 Kentucky
WON 6-2 vs. #24 Notre Dame
WON 4-0 vs. Florida Atlantic
LOST 4-7 vs. #2 Florida State (defending national champion)
WON 17-3 vs. Hofstra

Next 5 games ...

Mary Nutter Classic / Palm Springs, California
Fri, 2/22 .. BYU (5:30 PM)
Fri, 2/22 .. UCLA (8PM)
Sat, 2/23 .. Arizona (Noon)
Sun, 2/24 .. Cal State Fullerton (11AM)
Sun, 2/24 .. UC Santa Barbara (1:30 PM)

.. All Times are Central Time (CT)

Just curious about Shay Knighten, because it looks as though she lost her first base position, as well as, being a starter as she is not usually the dp; is this due to injury, better players or other? Or maybe I am completely wrong but have checked several of the last box scores so do think there is a difference in Shay's PT from the past.

Shay is still having great difficulty with her left knee and it is a lingering injury she has been living with for some time. I know she had knee surgery but don't know if it was on the left or right knee.

Shay is leading the team in B.A. with a .529 to lead the team at this time. But I think Patty is trying to save Shay for as many at bats as possible while keeping her being available for post season. It is a slippery slope Knighten is playing on.

The TV announcer noted that Shay was wearing sneakers instead of cleats to lessen the strain on her knee consequently losing a little power because of the loss of grip the cleats provide when she swings.

Shay is still having great difficulty with her left knee and it is a lingering injury she has been living with for some time.

The TV announcer noted that Shay was wearing sneakers instead of cleats to lessen the strain on her knee consequently losing a little power because of the loss of grip the cleats provide when she swings.

It is also apparent that Coach Gasso sends in a pinch runner almost every time Shay gets on-base. That knee must be bad.

Just curious about Shay Knighten, because it looks as though she lost her first base position, as well as, being a starter as she is not usually the dp; is this due to injury, better players or other? Or maybe I am completely wrong but have checked several of the last box scores so do think there is a difference in Shay's PT from the past.

It also gives Grace Green invaluable experience at 1st base for the future. She’s a good hitter so it gives them more options on offense too.

I appreciate each of your responses. My impressions was that she was injured her Freshman and/or Sophomore year and since that there were times that her play was limited.

I hadn't looked at the overall stats so glad to hear AB is really good.

I had thought maybe it was to get Grace Green experience and maybe Shay would be playing more later when needed. It appears it is injury plus the latter...experience for Grace Green.

Shay was always a favorite because she seemed to have such a great attitude. I am wondering if she will be able to go pro? Later play in the Olympics? ANYWAY, thanks again.

I appreciate each of your responses. My impressions was that she was injured her Freshman and/or Sophomore year and since that there were times that her play was limited.

I hadn't looked at the overall stats so glad to hear AB is really good.

I had thought maybe it was to get Grace Green experience and maybe Shay would be playing more later when needed. It appears it is injury plus the latter...experience for Grace Green.

Shay was always a favorite because she seemed to have such a great attitude. I am wondering if she will be able to go pro? Later play in the Olympics? ANYWAY, thanks again.
s
With the length of time Shay has been injuried and the surgeries she has experienced I doubt that either the pros or Olympics would want to add a player that was not 100% physically and it appears that has passed for Shay. JMHO.

s
With the length of time Shay has been injuried and the surgeries she has experienced I doubt that either the pros or Olympics would want to add a player that was not 100% physically and it appears that has passed for Shay. JMHO.

That's too bad. I had no knowledge of the extent of her injuries or possibility of full recovery in time....maybe even a year off after graduation to rehabilitate and get stronger. I was hoping her bat might get her there, but really just no real knowledge, so am guessing you are right.

s

She had surgery after her Freshman year and was never at full speed during her sophomore year. Another surgery between her sophomore year and junior year and was worse during her junior year. Again, this past summer she had yet another surgery leaving her where she is today. It is unusual because she has never healed up with her knee. Patty knows her value so she is trying to keep her available. That being said, Grace Green is going to be great.

For the second week in a row, Oklahoma softball junior Mariah Lopez has been named the Big 12 Pitcher of the Week, the conference office announced Tuesday.

This is the third career Big 12 weekly honor for Lopez.

A native of Saugus, Calif., Lopez threw her second career no-hitter on Saturday against Florida Atlantic. She faced just three batters above the minimum en route to the 51st no-hitter in program history.

Link

From Eric Bailey..

Oklahoma
Record: 9-1

Looking ahead: Oklahoma takes part in the prestigious Mary Nutter Collegiate Classic in Palm Springs, California. The Sooners will play BYU and UCLA on Friday, Arizona on Saturday, and Cal State Fullerton and UC Santa Barbara on Sunday.

Looking back: The Sooners captured four of five games at the St. Pete/Clearwater Elite Invitational. OU defeated Kentucky, Notre Dame, Florida Atlantic and Hofstra before dropping a 7-4 decision against defending national champion Florida State.

Notable: Junior Mariah Lopez was named the Big 12 pitcher of the week for the second consecutive time after tossing a no-hitter against FAU. … Home games against Oregon State (March 2), Baylor (April 6) and Oklahoma State (May 4) have been sold out. … Jocelyn Alo is hitting a Big 12-best .516. Grace Green (.462), Caleigh Clifton (.414) and Raegan Rogers (.400) are among the league’s top-10 hitters.

Last edited:
Back