Some random thoughts

BigTime

The Red Wig
Reaction score
First off, the important part of my rant: Happy Thanksgiving to all on this board! I hope everyone is taking the day to spend time with family and loved ones. Stay safe, and happy travels and returns.

Now for OU basketball...

- Last night/this morning was extremely disappointing for all of us. I know a lot of you (like me) have a lot of pride in this program, and it stings when you work so hard to promote this squad and they put out that kind of effort. I actually found myself laughing at times because we looked so pathetic. Patience is going to have to be the buzz word for this season.

- I saw a couple of bright spots last night including Willie getting some of his swagger back on those and 1s, and hitting 12/12 from the line. Orlando came in and played hard and grabbed 7 rebounds. Pledger looks so smooth on his contested 3s. I would rather have him shooting 3s than anyone else on the team (including Cade and Crock). That was about it from the bright spots....

- Ryan Wright just had an awful game for us. He wasn't setting hard screens. He only grabbed 2 rebounds. He was reaching instead of moving his feet on defense, and he really didn't hustle up the floor on offensive breaks. He has played better than last year to start the season, so let's all hope that this was just a bad game.

- Tommy Mason-Griffin has got to drive and kick. I can't believe that I am saying this but he is doing the exact same thing that AJ did last year in that he stands around the perimeter and just swings the ball to other guards. That is not the type of player that he is known to be...I wonder if he is just relying/deferring to WWIII too much to get the offense started. He does fine on the push, but in the halfcourt, he has been way too passive. I know that he is worried about getting his shot blocked, but he could still drive it in with full intent to pass (like Nash does).

- Willie Warren is trying too hard. But can you blame him? All the guys on this team just pass him the ball and expect him to break down 1-3 guys off the dribble and light the lamp. He can't be expected to do that. I would love to see him try some backdoor cuts and other off the ball stuff to try and get open looks. I would really love to see him work the pick and roll with Tiny at the top of the key and at the wing. WWIII needs to cut the 'woe is me' crap and just play the game. I saw some fire from him on defense last night (late in the second half) and I hope that is a sign of good things too come, but his body language sucks. And what's worse, is that he isn't the only one....

- Tiny has got to stop taking dribbles inside the paint (besides a single power dribble). I know he is skilled but save that junk for when he is on the perimeter or on the break. As you know, he pouted in the huddle after a foul call and then argued with a coach, and that got him benched. I know that he was frustrated, but I am glad that coach made an example of him. Nobody is bigger than the team.

- Is anyone else getting tired of Cade throwing up contested 3s? I am. I love what he brings to the floor as a player, but he has got to play within himself. If he is wide open, then shoot it, but he just doesn't make enough contested shots to be firing them up at will with 20 seconds left on the shot clock. I would love to see him try some back cuts and stunts off of screens to try and get lay-ups. I wish he would fake those contested threes take a few dribbles in and either shoot the midrange or find an open man.

- Tony Crocker needs to act his age. I know that it is frustrating out there, but he knows better. There were several times this morning where he could have had lay-ups if he would have run the floor while TMG was pushing the ball. His defense yesterday reminded me of his soph and freshman years. I would much rather him just stay in front of his man instead of trying to make the steal.

Things I want to see from this team:

1. Better body language. Don't whine about fouls.
2. Don't stand around and watch Willie. Cut. Set a screen. Crash the offensive glass. Get set-up for a three point kick-out. Do something!
3. Quit going for the big steal on defense, and over pursuing passing lanes. Just keep your man in front of you, and try and contest every shot.
4. Work the ball through Tiny in the half-court as much as possible. He is not a black hole. He knows how to make the right pass. Give him the d!@# ball! The guards need to learn that they will get it back with more open shots or off the cut if they give him the ball.
5. Work the pick-and-roll with Fitz and Tiny. Those two can both shoot the midrange. Let's put that skillset to use...
6. Quit getting beat in transition. There is no excuse for that, and it comes down to communication between Willie and TMG as to who needs to get back.
7. Have TMG drive and kick instead of standing around at the top of the key and swinging the ball around the perimeter.

8. RUN! Push the ball. TMG is doing his part, but nobody is filling the passing lanes. The bigs aren't hustling up the floor. We should be able to get some easy buckets and draw some fouls (we are showing ourselves to be a good foul-shooting squad).

Man, it is really a test of patience to watch this young team. I hope we see improvement real soon.

That is all for now....

I actually found myself laughing at times because we looked so pathetic.

One of the most ridiculous plays last night was when Tiny caught the ball on the post, was instantly doubled and then tried to do some dribble spin move (while having his back to both defenders) in an attempt to split the double team. I would love to be a fly on the wall when the coaching staff breaks down that film with Tiny. :ez-laugh:

I think we'll get it together BT. Been hard to watch the last couple of games, but maybe we needed something like that to get the guys to buy in to what Capel is trying to get across. For tonights game, I would be just fine with another poor shooting night as long as we see some fire and discipline on D.

Happy Thanksgiving to all on this board! I hope everyone is taking the day to spend time with family and loved ones. Stay safe, and happy travels and returns.

This.

We are just getting ready to head over to the families house. I hope everyone is having or had a great Thanksgiving!

Orlando came in and played hard and grabbed 7 rebounds.

This was the biggest plus of the night. He came in and played really hard.

Man, it is really a test of patience to watch this young team. I hope we see improvement real soon.

Agree on that point...

First off, the important part of my rant: Happy Thanksgiving to all on this board! I hope everyone is taking the day to spend time with family and loved ones. Stay safe, and happy travels and returns.

Now for OU basketball...

- Last night/this morning was extremely disappointing for all of us. I know a lot of you (like me) have a lot of pride in this program, and it stings when you work so hard to promote this squad and they put out that kind of effort. I actually found myself laughing at times because we looked so pathetic. Patience is going to have to be the buzz word for this season.

- I saw a couple of bright spots last night including Willie getting some of his swagger back on those and 1s, and hitting 12/12 from the line. Orlando came in and played hard and grabbed 7 rebounds. Pledger looks so smooth on his contested 3s. I would rather have him shooting 3s than anyone else on the team (including Cade and Crock). That was about it from the bright spots....

- Ryan Wright just had an awful game for us. He wasn't setting hard screens. He only grabbed 2 rebounds. He was reaching instead of moving his feet on defense, and he really didn't hustle up the floor on offensive breaks. He has played better than last year to start the season, so let's all hope that this was just a bad game.

- Tommy Mason-Griffin has got to drive and kick. I can't believe that I am saying this but he is doing the exact same thing that AJ did last year in that he stands around the perimeter and just swings the ball to other guards. That is not the type of player that he is known to be...I wonder if he is just relying/deferring to WWIII too much to get the offense started. He does fine on the push, but in the halfcourt, he has been way too passive. I know that he is worried about getting his shot blocked, but he could still drive it in with full intent to pass (like Nash does).

- Willie Warren is trying too hard. But can you blame him? All the guys on this team just pass him the ball and expect him to break down 1-3 guys off the dribble and light the lamp. He can't be expected to do that. I would love to see him try some backdoor cuts and other off the ball stuff to try and get open looks. I would really love to see him work the pick and roll with Tiny at the top of the key and at the wing. WWIII needs to cut the 'woe is me' crap and just play the game. I saw some fire from him on defense last night (late in the second half) and I hope that is a sign of good things too come, but his body language sucks. And what's worse, is that he isn't the only one....

- Tiny has got to stop taking dribbles inside the paint (besides a single power dribble). I know he is skilled but save that junk for when he is on the perimeter or on the break. As you know, he pouted in the huddle after a foul call and then argued with a coach, and that got him benched. I know that he was frustrated, but I am glad that coach made an example of him. Nobody is bigger than the team.

- Is anyone else getting tired of Cade throwing up contested 3s? I am. I love what he brings to the floor as a player, but he has got to play within himself. If he is wide open, then shoot it, but he just doesn't make enough contested shots to be firing them up at will with 20 seconds left on the shot clock. I would love to see him try some back cuts and stunts off of screens to try and get lay-ups. I wish he would fake those contested threes take a few dribbles in and either shoot the midrange or find an open man.

- Tony Crocker needs to act his age. I know that it is frustrating out there, but he knows better. There were several times this morning where he could have had lay-ups if he would have run the floor while TMG was pushing the ball. His defense yesterday reminded me of his soph and freshman years. I would much rather him just stay in front of his man instead of trying to make the steal.

Things I want to see from this team:

1. Better body language. Don't whine about fouls.
2. Don't stand around and watch Willie. Cut. Set a screen. Crash the offensive glass. Get set-up for a three point kick-out. Do something!
3. Quit going for the big steal on defense, and over pursuing passing lanes. Just keep your man in front of you, and try and contest every shot.
4. Work the ball through Tiny in the half-court as much as possible. He is not a black hole. He knows how to make the right pass. Give him the d!@# ball! The guards need to learn that they will get it back with more open shots or off the cut if they give him the ball.
5. Work the pick-and-roll with Fitz and Tiny. Those two can both shoot the midrange. Let's put that skillset to use...
6. Quit getting beat in transition. There is no excuse for that, and it comes down to communication between Willie and TMG as to who needs to get back.
7. Have TMG drive and kick instead of standing around at the top of the key and swinging the ball around the perimeter.

8. RUN! Push the ball. TMG is doing his part, but nobody is filling the passing lanes. The bigs aren't hustling up the floor. We should be able to get some easy buckets and draw some fouls (we are showing ourselves to be a good foul-shooting squad).

That is all for now....

I wholeheartedly, 100% agree with everything you said. I think you are completely spot on in your analysis.

While the tendency is to be very disturbed by how crappy we're playing right now, I still believe that November is a month for bad basketball. I think this team will figure things out. I do not believe we're going to be a great team, and we probably won't be a very good team, either. But I still believe we will be a decent team that's playing in the tournament in March. That would be a nice accomplishment after an Elite 8 season.

Capel has his work cut out for him, but I don't believe he's working with bad basketball players. These guys have potential, and the team would be playing a lot better right now if the veterans would step up and find a role. I'm not sure what Cade Davis brings to our team right now. I'm not sure what Crocker brings to our team right now. To me, Ryan Wright's absolutely never going to be the answer. And like you said, BigTime, he wasn't even playing his role last night. Willie has a bad attitude right now, but I'm not real concerned about him, because he's an absolute star.

A win against Houston could go a long way. This team desperately needs a win. And I think Houston's beatable. We're a better team...at least, I think.

Back