Sooners still in the mix with Terrence Jones

Henzo

Reaction score
In the 2010 recruiting class there is plenty of versatility. Then there is Terrence Jones. The 6-foot-7 hybrid forward out of Jefferson H.S. in Portland, Oreg. has everything a college coach could dream of and more. How often do you run into a prospect projected to be a collegiate big man who is a year removed from being a point guard? His combination of great ball-handling skills, size, and athleticism certainly put him in elite company on the basketball floor.

Link: OUHoops.com

Man, for a kid that plays it close to the vest he sure had a lot of positive things to say about OU. I always love it when they say their relationship with the coach is the most important thing (especially when they say they are talking to OU's coaches more than anyone else). Love it.

Great job as always Henzo...

Perfect timing Henzo, there was an article linked about KU's in-home that scared the crap out of me. I liked that his mom was the one asking all of the questions on this visit as I feel that our staff is the best in those situations. Here are the things that are constants in recruiting:

1. Player's are like "family".

2. Coach cares about me both on and off the court.

3. Talented players already there.

4. Can win a championship at OU.

I like our chances here.

Man, for a kid that plays it close to the vest he sure had a lot of positive things to say about OU. I always love it when they say their relationship with the coach is the most important thing (especially when they say they are talking to OU's coaches more than anyone else). Love it.

Great job as always Henzo...

Totally agree, Elmo. Coach Capel and his assistants are really good at developing a relationship with these kids, and I believe that is one of the keys to their success as recruiters.

That said, I think this quote from Jones is equally as important. Building a rapport with a recruit's family is one more thing our coaches do well:

“Now I think my mom talks to them on the phone as much as they talk to me on the phone,” he said with a laugh.

Great job on the interview, Henzo!!!

Amazing job Henzo! This could be your best work yet! I can't believe how much positive things Jones had to say about Capel and the program!

I think we might be sitting in the driver's seat with this kid. I sure hope so anyways. It seems like he really likes what OU can provide for him.

Come on Capel! Reel him in!

Thanks, Zo. Terrence is my favorite remaining recruit in this class.

Awesome work once again Henzo.

MNsooner and I have been discussing this. Capel really seems to have a talent as far as befriending his recruits. I've thought for a while that many coaches may talk at or down to a lot of recruits, where as Capel seems to be incredibly proficient at relating to the players he recruits. Not that any of this is surprising; Capel's position is slightly unique, in that he is only about a decade removed from the exact same position that most of these kids are in right now.

MNsooner and I have been discussing this. Capel really seems to have a talent as far as befriending his recruits. I've thought for a while that many coaches may talk at or down to a lot of recruits, where as Capel seems to be incredibly proficient at relating to the players he recruits. Not that any of this is surprising; Capel's position is slightly unique, in that he is only about a decade removed from the exact same position that most of these kids are in right now.

The thing with Capel is that not only has it only been close to 10 yrs since he was in their position but he ended up signing with a team that he could win a National Title with... much like most of the kids he is recruiting will. He knows with kids like Clark, Taylor, Barnes, & Jones, they want to win a National Championship. BOTTOM LINE. They're going to have a shot at the NBA WHEREVER they go so why wouldn't you want to win a National Championship in the process? Capel understands this. I think this has been the recruiting edge Duke, KU, North Carolina, etc., has had on OU till now.

Back