Speed

sybarite

Reaction score
Sherri mentioned that this team would have some speed. We really haven't seen a prospective lineup that makes sense yet. I still think we are looking at Williams, Llanusa, Pellington, probably Veitenheimer, and ___________. We may have a lot of shape-shifting.

But, if I were to look at what I think are players most likely to see ten minutes per game this year, they would probably be:

Interior:
Williams

Exterior:
Llanusa
Pellington
Veitenheimer
Penzo
Murcer
Robertson

The uncertainty is in the EJ, Nydia, Aspen, Mandy group. I think our best players tend to be guards.

In some respects, this reminds me of 2004. We were a good team with Caton, Rush, Higgins, Jackson, and Villarroel. But, that team didn't show what it could do until the Big Twelve tournament which they dominated teams that were #13, 8, and 2. I think they beat #2 Texas by about twenty in the finals, and Texas was bigger. We had two at 6-1, two at 5-9, and one at 5-8. But, that looked like Goodrich and Hazzard running the floor. Villarroel was dominating everything.

When Sherri had the McDonald's All-American posts and forwards, we were good. But, we didn't really excel above what we expected. Sherri gets her "over-performing" teams from guards. She is a guard.

I think Baylor is big enough to hold off a bunch of guards unless we get someone who can go to the boards. But, I wonder if Sherri can't take about six guards and turn them into a force that can challenge for the Big Twelve title. If Maddie is as good on the boards as we have heard, and she can get one person inside to rebound and play defense, we may have what we need. Get Shaina down court in a hurry with Ana, Taylor, and Jessie on the wings, and we may be hitting layups and threes before the defense sets up.

Nydia is second only to Shaina in speed?

I like adding Gregory and Scott to this mix.

Yeah because Paris helping Sherri win what 4 big 12 championship wasn’t good enough :facepalm

Did it over-excel? Or, did you expect it?

The point is what type of team Sherri is most effective at coaching that might rise above expectations.

Having speed is great if they have it but you got to use it at the right time. Not sure if OU can get in a run and gun game and win...we shall see

Run-and-gun is great and effective if, and only if, you hit your shots. It puts a premium on accuracy.

The last two classes, and now a third to be signed this month, appear to have improved our shooting and our speed. Shaina was almost at 50% from the field, although most of that was layups. Ana had a bit of a disappointing year shooting, but she is better than that. You don't get more speed than Shaina.

Then, we added some kids known for their three-point shooting this year in Robertson and Murcer. Williams has the speed to go with anyone. Tatum is an athlete. Now, we learn that Nydia is second only to Shaina in speed.

Now, we add Gregory and Scott to this. Piece by piece, we are assembling a group that has more athleticism, more speed, and a better track record of shooting than we have had in recent years. Unless Aspen is an effective back to the basket post, we really haven't recruited one. But, Sherri did comment that she is looking for more speed and mobility from the post.

Bloom: I have seen two different players in her you tubes. One is a player who likes to get out and run, not really strong under the boards. Gets some boards, looks to move. Seems to want the ball.

Then, I saw one all-star game in which her team played softly for the first half. Suddenly, she came out and took over the game on defense. She blocked shots and dominated the boards, and her team ran out to a 15-5 type start to the second half, a lead that they never surrendered. Basically, she just dominated for about four minutes, and the game was over. She can, if she wishes.

That's very encouraging to hear! I mean, you do t have to be 6'9" to be a good rebounder, look at how bad Mulkey was. We need another McFarland type of rebounder/player. Fingers crossed Bloom is similar!

Back