Starters: 2015-2016

Last year, Peyton was a much better player than Maddie. Hopefully, Maddie improves this year. It's a joke to say Maddie didn't have problems with turnovers. T/Os and fouls was why Sherri kept pulling her out.

Payton can do so much more then catch and shot... The fact that she was one of our top scores, yet didn't have a lot of 3 would show she's more the. A catch and shot player... I can remember her taking players of the dribble, just not as strong as Carter. Manning could be a really good 6th man for OU she could come in and play the 1-4.

The point was--and is---do you want the ball in Peyton's hands when the defense is pressing? At the end of the year, that job belonged primarily to Maddie with some to Gabbi. They were the ones that had the ball in their hands the most, that were trying to find someone open to score. There were games when Maddie scored six to ten points from the free throw line as they kept fouling her to try to get the ball. She could control the ball, and she usually hit her free throws. Peyton was not that type of ball-handler, and the offense did not run through Peyton. It ran through Gabbi or Maddie.

Who will start
Gabi
Peyton
Gioya
Maddie
Kaylon

for OU to reach their maximum ceiling
this lineup should be ready to start
Gabi
Gioya
Peyton
Kaylon
Vivi

Maddie super sub off the bench at really any 4 spots.

Agree

The point was--and is---do you want the ball in Peyton's hands when the defense is pressing? At the end of the year, that job belonged primarily to Maddie with some to Gabbi. They were the ones that had the ball in their hands the most, that were trying to find someone open to score. There were games when Maddie scored six to ten points from the free throw line as they kept fouling her to try to get the ball. She could control the ball, and she usually hit her free throws. Peyton was not that type of ball-handler, and the offense did not run through Peyton. It ran through Gabbi or Maddie.

I concur that Maddie became more of a figure in the offense and ball control the last ten games and she did hit 80% of her free throws over those last ten. But she was not getting to the line as much as earlier in the season. Over the last ten games she made 16-20 free throws (2.0 FT/g) and in only one game did she take more than 3 free throws (4-6 against ISU).

If you take from the start of the conference season through the tournaments she made 31-39 or 2.68 FT/game. The first 12 games of the conference she averaged taking 3.25 FT/g.

Starting with the conference season she had only 3 games where she shot 6 FT's or more with a high of 12-14 against Texas January 14th. Averaging only 2 FT's/g after Sherri had gone to Gabbie and Maddie to control the ball is not an indication that the opponents were continually fouling Maddie to get the ball. You were watching differ games than I was seeing in the stands. She only took 2/3 the FT attempts the last ten games that she took the first 12 conference games.

Last edited:
I concur that Maddie became more of a figure in the offense and ball control the last ten games and she did hit 80% of her free throws over those last ten.
Could have stopped right there. The point was made.

Probably would never have responded had you not erroneously used data to substantiate your point when in fact opponents were not fouling Maddie to get the ball after she became a key cog in the offense but fouling her less instead.

No question in my mind Maddie is one of the keys to having the season many here hope. However the question still remains whether she can gain the necessary control of her skill set to meet potential many see. I am hopeful but somewhat doubtful she can get all the way there. She appears to me to play too much with her mind and not enough with her instincts and thusly limits herself. Only court time will resolve that concern.

Probably would never have responded had you not erroneously used data to substantiate your point when in fact opponents were not fouling Maddie to get the ball after she became a key cog in the offense but fouling her less instead.

No question in my mind Maddie is one of the keys to having the season many here hope. However the question still remains whether she can gain the necessary control of her skill set to meet potential many see. I am hopeful but somewhat doubtful she can get all the way there. She appears to me to play too much with her mind and not enough with her instincts and thusly limits herself. Only court time will resolve that concern.
Show me the data that I presented regarding fouling Maddie. I made a comment, but I presented no such data. Want to go back and watch the last three minutes of the games that we won?

Show me the data that I presented regarding fouling Maddie. I made a comment, but I presented no such data. Want to go back and watch the last three minutes of the games that we won?

You are right yours was only a comment and she did have one game all season with 6 or more FT's made. She also had 14 of her last 22 games were she shot 3 of less FT's. Your implication by referencing Maddie's FT's made and fouls against her was an extremely misleading attempt to verify you original point that Gabbi and Maddie were controling the ball. Especially when you used the last 10 games as the illustration of when the transition was made to using Maddie to assist Gabbi in controlliing the ball.

Your point is valid. Your comments supporting your point is false. Just speak the truth and there is no problem and readers are not mislead. I'm out.

The point is valid. But the comments supporting my point are not valid? This refers to a comment made about Maddie and free throws supporting her use late in the season? If you notice, I made no reference of when any free throws were made, just that she was fouled trying to get the ball from her. Incidentally, she was 6 of 8 in one game, 12 of 14 in another. That's a lot of free throws shot as a result of bringing the ball up.

If memory serves, it was that game in which Maddie was 12-14 from the line that she was, more-or-less, given the reins by Sherri. Until that time, she had been a moderately-used reserve. In that game, we trailed Texas 14-15 in Norman with about eight minutes left in the first half. Gioya, Sharane, Kay Kay, and Nicole all had two fouls and were on the bench. As I understand, Sherri put Maddie in and told her to take over. The result was that Maddie was the leading scorer with fourteen, twelve of which came from the line. Although she told Maddie to take over, which she did in the TCU game that followed, the use of Maddie as the key floor leader was mixed until later when it was primarily a Maddie/Gabbi show.

You are right yours was only a comment and she did have one game all season with 6 or more FT's made. She also had 14 of her last 22 games were she shot 3 of less FT's. Your implication by referencing Maddie's FT's made and fouls against her was an extremely misleading attempt to verify you original point that Gabbi and Maddie were controling the ball. Especially when you used the last 10 games as the illustration of when the transition was made to using Maddie to assist Gabbi in controlliing the ball.

Your point is valid. Your comments supporting your point is false. Just speak the truth and there is no problem and readers are not mislead. I'm out.

+1

The point is valid. But the comments supporting my point are not valid? This refers to a comment made about Maddie and free throws supporting her use late in the season? If you notice, I made no reference of when any free throws were made, just that she was fouled trying to get the ball from her. Incidentally, she was 6 of 8 in one game, 12 of 14 in another. That's a lot of free throws shot as a result of bringing the ball up.

If memory serves, it was that game in which Maddie was 12-14 from the line that she was, more-or-less, given the reins by Sherri. Until that time, she had been a moderately-used reserve. In that game, we trailed Texas 14-15 in Norman with about eight minutes left in the first half. Gioya, Sharane, Kay Kay, and Nicole all had two fouls and were on the bench. As I understand, Sherri put Maddie in and told her to take over. The result was that Maddie was the leading scorer with fourteen, twelve of which came from the line. Although she told Maddie to take over, which she did in the TCU game that followed, the use of Maddie as the key floor leader was mixed until later when it was primarily a Maddie/Gabbi show.

Typical Syb logic. You want to use how Maddie was fouled in fhe 15th and 18th game of the season to explain how she was defended in the last ten games when she averaged shooting 2 FT's per game and her role was totally different. Stupid logic.

As I said, I wasn't the one that was connecting the two. Your problem.

Back