Starting 5 Time!

Oliver Hardy

Reaction score
Amid the allegations that Sherri engaged in insensitive and inappropriate/possibly racist speech/behavior... (Boy, wouldn't it be fun to have Syb alive over the last 36 hours!)

IT'S TIME TO PICK THE STARTING 5 FOR THE 2020/21 SEASON...Official Dubbed "THE NIGHTMARE GOES ON FOREVER" OR "SHERRI'S RESURRECTION MIRACLE."

Here's my guess and I'm going to throw in a surprise or 2...

5 -- Simpson. Hell would have to freeze over for her not to be the 5, at least
before the start of conference.
4 -- Williams. No way in Hell she doesn't hold her spot down.
3 -- Robertson. 2nd Best Player on the team. Also, shooting alone gives her the
start.
2 -- Vann or Dunbar. I know that's way out there, right? We clearly don't have a
point worth a plug nickel, so I'm saying Sherri starts new there. I lean
toward Vann because she has more eligibility left. Dunbar is a one a done,
but she might get a shot.
1 --LLanusa. Hear me out. Next to Robertson she's the best shooter on the team.
She can drive the lane or stop and pop in the lane. She also has good range. I
think this is how Sherri shakes it up a bit. Put the ball in the hands of your
best player by far. This team needs a real leader. Ana is it.

I guess you do not think Sherri will hold it against Williams for sympathizing with the group who wrote negative things about Sherri.

I admittedly don't know much about Vann or Dunbar, but I don't think Gregory sits. In our (brief) moments of excellence last season, we were carried by the foursome of Simpson, Williams, Robertson and Gregory. They all make too many mistakes, but if these four have improved their individual games and cut back on the mistakes (which will also be an individual effort as well, because I have seen no punishments coming from the coaching staff), we have a chance to be alright.

I also think Ana is our leader and a very good defender when healthy. Her shot is streaky but hopefully she can stay on the floor and be more consistent with it.

Tot at the one
Ana and Roberson on the wings
Scott and Williams inside

Tatum as the backup one

Lampkin as the principal backup inside, and Mandy would be next off the bench. (haven't seen Greer yet, so maybe she fits in here)

Gabbi as the principal backup on the wing. (until I see some of the others, I will say Murcer is next in line to play on the wing.)

I just don't know what I think about the likelihood of success this year. I will wait for a few games to be played before venturing a guess.

BTW, I haven't seen Tot play, but I am not very high on Tatum so I went with Tot at the one. If she can't play however, I think the one defaults to tatum.

BTW, my starting lineup and rotation is what I would do, and what I think is best, not what I think Sherri will do.

I think Sherri will start and play Mandy and Gabbi a lot more than I would. I like both players at least with Mandy, I just don't see a high enough ceiling to warrant her minutes. In my mind, if you give those minutes to Scott and Lampkin, then my years end we are better and have a higher ceiling.

As for Gregory, I like her as a player, but this year, I would start Ana and Roberson ahead of her.

For a variety of reasons, I don't like Roberson or Ana at the point.

Tot at the one
Ana and Roberson on the wings
Scott and Williams inside

Tatum as the backup one

Lampkin as the principal backup inside, and Mandy would be next off the bench. (haven't seen Greer yet, so maybe she fits in here)

Gabbi as the principal backup on the wing. (until I see some of the others, I will say Murcer is next in line to play on the wing.)

I just don't know what I think about the likelihood of success this year. I will wait for a few games to be played before venturing a guess.

BTW, I haven't seen Tot play, but I am not very high on Tatum so I went with Tot at the one. If she can't play however, I think the one defaults to tatum.

I agree, 100%! This is what makes the most sense, if we're looking at talent and what will produce the most by the end of the season, yet we know SC does not think like the rest of us when it comes to her starting 5. That reason alone is why her program has dropped to the bottom of the conference and she's not able to recruit anymore. She will almost guaranteed start and play Simpson 30 minutes/game and give Lampkin and Scott the remaining 10 minutes/game. I'm never surprised anymore when players transfer. Let's hope she finds some common sense this season though!

I agree, 100%! This is what makes the most sense, if we're looking at talent and what will produce the most by the end of the season, yet we know SC does not think like the rest of us when it comes to her starting 5. That reason alone is why her program has dropped to the bottom of the conference and she's not able to recruit anymore. She will almost guaranteed start and play Simpson 30 minutes/game and give Lampkin and Scott the remaining 10 minutes/game. I'm never surprised anymore when players transfer. Let's hope she finds some common sense this season though!

She won't find any, and no one tells Sherri Coale anything....not even Joe.

Yep, Mandy averaged 28.6 minutes in 2020 up from 27.1 minutes in 2019.

http://soonerstats.com/basketball/women/seasons/stats-player.cfm?seasonid=2020

http://soonerstats.com/basketball/women/seasons/stats-player.cfm?seasonid=2019

She won't find any, and no one tells Sherri Coale anything....not even Joe.

Joe is an AD not a WBB coach. I don't know that he should be telling Sherri anything about her coaching on the court just as it is not his job to handle the Xs and Os for Lincoln Riley other than to hold her accountable for team success.

Joe is an AD not a WBB coach. I don't know that he should be telling Sherri anything about her coaching on the court just as it is not his job to handle the Xs and Os for Lincoln Riley other than to hold her accountable for team success.

I agree he can't tell her how to coach but he can sure react to the obvious lack of results and scandal. As I said in the post in another thread, Sherri did not do the PR announcements at the Missouri State game.

I am still going to hold my position that Sherri will complete her contract which runs through June 2024 unless there is some major change in the big time donors that have been strong Sherri Coale supporters.

I think if those donors become disillusioned Sherri's recent team performances she could be gone much sooner than I expect. I have my fingers crossed but my expectations are nil.

Should the donors soften in their support of Sherri and Joe C. finally become proactive in upgrading WBB the regents would act quickly fix the WBB problem and Sherri will be out of a job. JMHO!

Are the Stilettos still giving big buck to the program?

Now that we don't have Lampkin, Murcer or Ana for this coming season the starting 5 won't be that hard to predict, considering our bench will only be 4 deep....my starting 5 are as follows, yet I know SC won't go with this, because it actually puts the 5 most talented players we have remaining on the court, not the 5 she actually likes the most:

PG Tot (she can't be worse than Tatum)
W Gregory & Taylor
F Madi
F Scott

Vann, Greer, Tatum & Simpson fill in as needed

This roster doesn't give me much confidence for a winning season. In fact, it might be worse than last year, IMO, but we will see. If we look at experience, we have some but it's a mixed bag, so i'm sure that'll be SC's excuse yet again if we are horrible..again.

Now that we don't have Lampkin, Murcer or Ana for this coming season the starting 5 won't be that hard to predict, considering our bench will only be 4 deep....my starting 5 are as follows, yet I know SC won't go with this, because it actually puts the 5 most talented players we have remaining on the court, not the 5 she actually likes the most:

PG Tot (she can't be worse than Tatum)
W Gregory & Taylor
F Madi
F Scott

Vann, Greer, Tatum & Simpson fill in as needed

This roster doesn't give me much confidence for a winning season. In fact, it might be worse than last year, IMO, but we will see. If we look at experience, we have some but it's a mixed bag, so i'm sure that'll be SC's excuse yet again if we are horrible..again.

It is going to be very difficult to be better than horrible.

With the recent roster shakeups I’ll go with

Tatum
Taylor
Gabby
Madi
Mandy
Very unathletic, Tatum and Madi are our best defenders on the team.

Tatum
Taylor
Madi
Liz
Mandy would probably be a better more athletic line up, but I can’t see Sherri moving Gabby out of the line up.

Back