Strengths and Challenges

SoonerinNC

Reaction score
The Stanford and Missouri games gave some insights as to our ability to win against quality competition.

On the plus side:

Our defense is clearly better even though Stanford torched us. Our bench players are helpful in maintaining a good defense.

We should be able to go 9 deep and that has probably helped us in having a strong second half in most of the games. Our reserves are very athletic and should all improve as the season goes on. Iwaukor is one of my favorites. If he works at it he could be something special.

Reeves is clearly a playmaker and his history indicates that he will be a good scoring threat from deep over the long run.

Doolittle sort of disappeared in the opener and the Stanford game but he has been solid otherwise. If he gets help he handles the bigs pretty well on D.

When Manek takes shots in rhythm he is deadly. Just rushes and doesn't get set well a times.

Harmon seems to be discovering what he can and can not do at Div I. Hopefully he continues to progress. Bienemy is a solid backup but he has to look more for shots. We need some offensive contribution from him.

The biggest problem as I see it is inside defense. Second is our current point guard play. Not really a negative but not contributing enough at this time.

We have yet to prove that we can consistently score from outside. We seem to have some potential there but our shot selection is undisciplined at times.

We appear to be a team that on a good night can beat almost anyone. And on a bad night can lose games to an average team.

Last edited:
Harmon just needs to be more aggressive looking to set up other players and get us out in transition. He's been really tentative. He can get to the rim when he wants but needs to get deep and kick.

We are not going to be a top halfcourt team, but we are athletic enough that we can be a headache in transition. Just need to PUSH.

I agree with Iwuakor. Love his motor and his offense is better than I expected. He’s ahead of schedule.... he didn’t even play as a HS senior.

Jalen Hill is going to get better, too. The concussion set him back a little.

The guy I think is going to play a bigger role as the season progresses is Alondes Williams. He and Iwuakor have off-the-chart athleticism.

I agree with Iwuakor. Love his motor and his offense is better than I expected. He’s ahead of schedule.... he didn’t even play as a HS senior.

Jalen Hill is going to get better, too. The concussion set him back a little.

The guy I think is going to play a bigger role as the season progresses is Alondes Williams. He and Iwuakor have off-the-chart athleticism.

I agree with how Lon handled the backcourt issue so far. JB needs to settle into the role of first point with Harmon spelling him until he gets a better feel and keeps his head up driving. Send him out as a heat-seeking defensive missile. He's thinking too much.

Reaves is a phenom. A gift. He needs to lead this backcourt in minutes with alondes giving him a break. Then alondes, hill, and vic covering the wing. But Lon will do his rotation as only Lon will. I just think we should see more time from alondes and vic as well.

Not sure what to do about the rebounding and front court.

The rotation will continue to shrink. You won't see any more of Merritt and Kuath's minutes will be dwindling quick. He doesn't know how to play basketball. He tries to block every shot and leaves us exposed on the weak side. We are at a massive disadvantage when he's on the floor.

PG: Harmon
G: Bienemy
G: Reaves
F: Manek
F: Doolittle

1. Williams
2. Iwuakor
3. Hill

That's it. Those are the eight. If we see any other guys on the floor against good, quality competition we're in a load of trouble.

Reaves is going to find himself in foul trouble due to his drives. He's an extremely smart player, and he sees the floor very well, but modern defense is all about dive bombing in front of drivers and drawing a charge. Warranted or not, he will not get every call. But I really like how he plays. He's a lot better when he's not settling for deep jumpers. He requires the defense to move a bunch.

Against poor offensive teams I'd like to see Williams continue to cherry pick. He could tell Missouri was rushing into bad shots the other night and he anticipated our rebounds very well. Those decisions led to two quick buckets and extended our lead.

Last edited:
The rotation will continue to shrink. You won't see any more of Merritt and Kuath's minutes will be dwindling quick. He doesn't know how to play basketball. He tries to block every shot and leaves us exposed on the weak side. We are at a massive disadvantage when he's on the floor.

PG: Harmon
G: Bienemy
G: Reaves
F: Manek
F: Doolittle

1. Williams
2. Iwuakor
3. Hill

That's it. Those are the eight. If we see any other guys on the floor against good, quality competition we're in a load of trouble.

Reaves is going to find himself in foul trouble due to his drives. He's an extremely smart player, and he sees the floor very well, but modern defense is all about dive bombing in front of drivers and drawing a charge. Warranted or not, he will not get every call. But I really like how he plays. He's a lot better when he's not settling for deep jumpers. He requires the defense to move a bunch.

Against poor offensive teams I'd like to see Williams continue to cherry pick. He could tell Missouri was rushing into bad shots the other night and he anticipated our rebounds very well. Those decisions led to two quick buckets and extended our lead.
Kuath is going to have to play. Has to get smarter.

Back