Taylor Griffin signs with Phoenix >>> SoonerSports.com

OUHoops

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Source

NORMAN, Okla. - The Phoenix Suns Monday announced the signing of former OU forward Taylor Griffin, who was selected in the second round (48th overall) of June's NBA Draft.

Griffin, a three-time Academic All-Big 12 selection as a Sooner, averaged 9.6 points and 5.8 rebounds last year for OU's 30-6 squad that was ranked as high as No. 2 nationally and advanced to the NCAA Tournament's Elite Eight. He tied for the team lead in steals (47) and ranked second in blocked shots (36). He started all 36 games and shot a career-high .538 from the field.

"I'm really excited about finally getting this deal finalized," said Griffin. "We have been negotiating for about two to three weeks, so it was good to make it official. I feel like I couldn't have been given a better opportunity. I'm with a great team and staff, and a great city. God has really blessed me -- now I have to hold up my end."

The 6-7, 238-pound Griffin, who finished his OU career ranked fifth in games played (129) and 10th in blocks (98), competed on the Suns’ 2009 Las Vegas Summer League team and averaged 6.2 points, 3.0 rebounds and 1.0 steal in five contests (all starts).

"Taylor is an excellent athlete, a hard worker and very much team-oriented," said Suns President of Basketball Operations and General Manager Steve Kerr. "He fits right in with the kind of people we want in our organization, and he has a chance to develop into a very good player."

Griffin became the fifth OU product drafted by Phoenix, joining Ted Evans (1974), Tom Holland (1974), Ring of Honor member Alvan Adams (1975) and Bo Overton (1983).

Back