The guard that got away from OU >>> The Oklahoman

Good point, Norm, and one that I agree with. But I choose not to judge Willie's worth to the team on two or three ill-advised incidents over the past two years that didn't amount to much on the whole. Now, if they continue to the point of becoming a distraction to a young team that needs his leadership, I might be willing to change my mind about him.

Didn't amount to much? Two of our starting guards last year weren't on speaking terms b/c one of them (WW) thought it a good idea to date another one's (AJ's) ex. To me, that is a problem, and possibly, a pretty big one.

We're hearing the same sorts of things this year. We're hearing about him being kicked out of practice. We are seeing him pouting during games.

If he keeps that up, regardless of stats or the NBA (worthless when talking about how good a college guy is), I'd likely have taken 4 years of Clarke. IF he gets his head screwed on right, well, that is a different discussion.

I am with Soonerfan on a lot of this. However people don't realize, Clarke is not the best team player either.

Last year his Uncle was telling all the coaches in Oklahoma at a clinic about how Rotnei was leaving because Pelphrey promised him a lot of shots and the other guys wouldn't throw him the ball. They were mad he didn't get to shoot enough and wanted to leave. I heard from people around his family that he didn't get any of the higher schools to take him so he stayed.

Willie has attitude issues, but Rotnei has some of his own. How does a guard who touches the ball as much as he does only have 27 assists last year in 30 games?

With all that being said, Rotnei has one of the best releases and shots around. He really does a lot with what god gave him.

Back