****The official ABD this team is terrible thread****

Status
Not open for further replies.
This team wouldn't have been assembled with Kelvin either. I think it's time to finally drop the Kelvin/Jeff deal. Both guys have their strengths and both have done good things for the basketball program.

This team wouldn't have been assembled with Kelvin either. I think it's time to finally drop the Kelvin/Jeff deal. Both guys have their strengths and both have done good things for the basketball program.

I dont think its a Kelvin vs. Jeff deal and I havent saw alot of that on this board, but it's undeniable that Kelvin is more seasoned than Jeff. And of course he should. He's coached for 20plus more years than Jeff.

I think we can all safely say that Coach Capel is a better recruiter at this point in his career but Coach Sampson is still a much better coach.

Can I just reiterate the fact that we lost to Tom freaking Penders???? Kelvin OWNED Penders.

I think we can all safely say that Coach Capel is a better recruiter at this point in his career but Coach Sampson is still a much better coach.

That would depend on how you evaluate recruiting... Sampson usually had complete teams, without glaring weaknesses. He filled gaps with juco players, and always recruited tough, hard-nosed guys that all filled certain roles. I always loved Sampsons recruiting. The class with Everett, Godbold, and Gray was a great class, but it wasnt rated high when compared to Capel classes.

I think they are both outstanding recruiters, they just recruit different types of players.

That would depend on how you evaluate recruiting... Sampson usually had complete teams, without glaring weaknesses. He filled gaps with juco players, and always recruited tough, hard-nosed guys that all filled certain roles. I always loved Sampsons recruiting. The class with Everett, Godbold, and Gray was a great class, but it wasnt rated high when compared to Capel classes.

I think they are both outstanding recruiters, they just recruit different types of players.

Everett and Gray were followed with Neal and Chris Walker. It's safe to say that a nucleus with the freshman now will be good for the next three year.

Our dear friend is here again when our team loses. Oh how nice it is to hear from you again. We don't hear from you much anymore. BOOMER SOONER BABY!!!:ez-roll:

Everett and Gray were followed with Neal and Chris Walker. It's safe to say that a nucleus with the freshman now will be good for the next three year.

Mike Neal was a really good player before his hand injury.

Chris Walker was as bad as it gets, but every class has duds. Capel has signed plenty of duds.

Our dear friend is here again when our team loses. Oh how nice it is to hear from you again. We don't hear from much anymore. BOOMER SOONER BABY!!!:ez-roll:

I sure hope you aren't talking about me. I have been posting with these people for like 6 years on a very regular basis. I am pretty sure every member of this forum will vouch for me on that one, lol.

Be careful, guys. That's all I'm going to say! This thread has the potential to get ugly; I hope it doesn't go there!

ABD, I say Capel is the better recruiter simply because he is getting high school talent that we never got under Sampson. Whether you think TMG and Gallon are busts or not, we weren't pulling those types of players under Kelvin. Again I'm not trying to disparage Kelvin as a recruiter, I'm just saying I think Capel has outshined him thus far.

Big you should know I'm not talking about you. So why try and get something started. Just chill dude. BOOMER SOONER BABY!!!

Although I am disappointed in how we are playing in this tourney, I know this team's nucleus is young. This is a part of the growing pains that we are going to see A LOT this year.

Also, as of now, WW is not showing the leadership skills he is supposed to have. I understand that he is going to have a bad shooting night, but this team feeds off of him, and he needs to play like a leader on the defensive side too. He got beat on too many plays on D tonight and that should not happen.

Other than that, I suggest we never go back to this outdated tourney. Between the high school wannabe announcers and the way we are playing, I would not mind it.

BOOMER!!!

P.S. Learning how to box out for rebounding would be nice too. Find a guy and box him out.

Be careful, guys. That's all I'm going to say! This thread has the potential to get ugly; I hope it doesn't go there!

This thread takes me back... all the way to about 2004.

I must admit... and I know this won't be a popular comment... but it's kinda fun observing the fan behavior after a start like this. This board is almost an exact replica right now of the Mizzou scout board during the mid-late Quin Snyder era... the elite eight honeymoon was over, some long-standing issues with gameday coaching still stood unresolved, but a highly rated freshman class provided some hope. There's even a moderator/insider type throwing out condescending "kid" comments, which really bring it home (reminds me of the time I was told I "know just enough to be dangerous." ... wtf does that even mean?).

For the record, though, I am in no way comparing Capel to Quin (although if this start continues, that comparison will inevitably be made by some, with the Duke connection and all...). If nothing else, Capel is a far superior recruiter who's actually done something on his own as a head coach, plus as far as I know he's not an addict who has a thing for coeds and players' girlfriends, which is a plus.

The only comparison is between the boards. That board was great in the good times, but quickly shot down any/all critics, and eventually the board pretty much died. A board that can't openly discuss the good with the bad quickly becomes a very pointless and very boring place to spend time. Unless you're UNC, you will go through stretches where things aren't going well... and if you can't discuss the reasons why without shutting down people you don't like hearing from, the community will absolutely suffer for it.

No pun intended but should Caple give Kelvin a call and ask him if he can coach these guys up on the fundamentals of defense?

The problem is Kelvin woulda had us on serious probation by now because he woulda reviolated the phone call rule here rather than at Indiana. In fact, that would have got him fired here, so Kelvin would be out the equation anyway....Too bad, cause he could definately teach these young guys some valuable lessons on toughness.

As someone said, losing to Penders is a sin.

Too early to give up

Capel's teams have played some decent defense in the past and in time this team probably will as well.

Looks like we need to reinstitute the bubble drill. You can't give up 17 offensive rebounds.

Some of the comments on this thread are, well rediculous. It is out of line to say 5 games into a season that a scholarship is wasted on a player. Particularly on one that has a double figure game in the only one he has had more than just a cameo appearance.

The team is not playing well except in spurts. But they are not a terrible team.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back