This happened to OSU when they tried to land the huge names..

What are you talking about? Willie Warren and Tiny Gallon have issues because they're top ten recruits?

I don't think you understand the original premise of my thread. OU had to take guys with character issues in order to land MCDAA type players, is what I am trying to say. Most up there agreed, you dont of course, but I am not sure you understand.

Why did Blake Griffin do so well?

He was a local guy with his best friends and family on the team. OU didn't have to take a chance on character with him. The other guys had known character issues, not because they were top 10 guys, because thats who they are. In order to land that type of talent at OU (and not guys in your backyard with friends and brothers on the team) he had to take guys with character problems, just like OSU did a few years ago.

However only a moron would believe their problem evolves around them being a big name recruit and not around their examples of lack of leadership, work ethic, and effort.

I don't... again, you dont understand what I am saying.

I don't think you understand the original premise of my thread. OU had to take guys with character issues in order to land MCDAA type players, is what I am trying to say. Most up there agreed, you dont of course, but I am not sure you understand.

He was a local guy with his best friends and family on the team. OU didn't have to take a chance on character with him. The other guys had known character issues, not because they were top 10 guys, because thats who they are. In order to land that type of talent at OU (and not guys in your backyard with friends and brothers on the team) he had to take guys with character problems, just like OSU did a few years ago.

I don't... again, you dont understand what I am saying.

OU beat out KU for Warren so what was KU's excuse for pursuing him. They have a good success rate. No one on this board knows WW or Tiny Gallon. To make judgement on what type of character they have is just a jerkish thing, especially for a so called adult. I'm not going to do it and i don't respect anyone else that does. There are guys on KU teams with the same "attitude" issues, but to Self's credit, he knows how to nip them in the bud.

But again, it shows how unsaavy it is to look at recruiting as an issues. You continue to make some evolving strawman in recruiting each weak to make some point about why higher profile recruits are less than others. Attitude is this week I guess. A few weeks back it was experience. A few more weeks back it was juco scoring averages or something. The hole in your whole theory took place yesterday. If you watched the first half of that game, you saw the most improved player over the last two years of basketball. At the same time, he would by your definetion be a huge name. James Anderson is an absolute stud. He came to OSU as a MCDAA. If he would have left after his freshman year, he'd be on a bench in Europe. If he'd left last year, he'd be in the DLeague. He developed from a spot up in the corner three point shooter, to a guy that developed a pumpfake two dribble move, to a guy that is a nightmare to a man and zone defense. Anderson gets it. He worked. Gallon and Warren don't get it. Not because they're primadonna McDAA huge names, but because they don't work hard. And he're the secret, whether you go to Paris JC, Cameron University, UCO, UNC, or OU, you're gonna have that element. I've coached and trained high school level kids for seven years and all of them think they're going to the NBA and some sideline coach that is not nearly as talented as they are can tell them anything. It's coaches job to bring them to reality, break them down and build them up.

i think depth has a lot to do with it. the players aren't stupid, and it's human nature to only go as hard as is needed.

does warren really need to practice as hard as he can to prove to himself (and capel, and anyone else watching) that he's the best player in practice? guys at a ku, even collins and aldrich, are going to get abused in practice by guys that want their minutes if they aren't practicing hard. i'm not sure ou has the quality depth to force their "stars" to practice as hard as they might need to.

i think depth has a lot to do with it. the players aren't stupid, and it's human nature to only go as hard as is needed.

does warren really need to practice as hard as he can to prove to himself (and capel, and anyone else watching) that he's the best player in practice? guys at a ku, even collins and aldrich, are going to get abused in practice by guys that want their minutes if they aren't practicing hard. i'm not sure ou has the quality depth to force their "stars" to practice as hard as they might need to.

you're right. A very good point. We've got to get guys who can come in and do it. We've got to get hungry coachable guys. Whether it be David Godbold or Blake Griffin, they've all had that hunger.

OU beat out KU for Warren so what was KU's excuse for pursuing him. They have a good success rate. No one on this board knows WW or Tiny Gallon. To make judgement on what type of character they have is just a jerkish thing, especially for a so called adult. I'm not going to do it and i don't respect anyone else that does. There are guys on KU teams with the same "attitude" issues, but to Self's credit, he knows how to nip them in the bud.

But again, it shows how unsaavy it is to look at recruiting as an issues. You continue to make some evolving strawman in recruiting each weak to make some point about why higher profile recruits are less than others. Attitude is this week I guess. A few weeks back it was experience. A few more weeks back it was juco scoring averages or something. The hole in your whole theory took place yesterday. If you watched the first half of that game, you saw the most improved player over the last two years of basketball. At the same time, he would by your definetion be a huge name. James Anderson is an absolute stud. He came to OSU as a MCDAA. If he would have left after his freshman year, he'd be on a bench in Europe. If he'd left last year, he'd be in the DLeague. He developed from a spot up in the corner three point shooter, to a guy that developed a pumpfake two dribble move, to a guy that is a nightmare to a man and zone defense. Anderson gets it. He worked. Gallon and Warren don't get it. Not because they're primadonna McDAA huge names, but because they don't work hard. And he're the secret, whether you go to Paris JC, Cameron University, UCO, UNC, or OU, you're gonna have that element. I've coached and trained high school level kids for seven years and all of them think they're going to the NBA and some sideline coach that is not nearly as talented as they are can tell them anything. It's coaches job to bring them to reality, break them down and build them up.

But thats not what I am....... nevermind, not worth it.

Have a nice day.

PS,

I will say that I have no idea what Tiny and Willie are like off the court. I am sure they are fine fellows, and I don't think they are bad people. I am sure they are great guys.

Your ever morphing critique of Capel's recruiting is tired, old, and weak. Get a new Shtick.

Your ever morphing critique of Capel's recruiting is tired, old, and weak. Get a new Shtick.

Capel's recruiting has been bad for the most part... Why don't you agree with that?

Maybe I will adopt your philosophy that Capel is just too darn nice and care's too much for the players... That is the real reason OU loses games, not because of poor recruiting, wasted scholarships, recruiting guys with known character issues, etc...

Yep, thats it.... He is just too gosh darn friendly.

Capel's recruiting has been bad for the most part... Why don't you agree with that?

Maybe I will adopt your philosophy that Capel is just too darn nice and care's too much for the players... That is the real reason OU loses games, not because of poor recruiting, wasted scholarships, recruiting guys with known character issues, etc...

The funny thing about you is you bring up post about Capel should recruit this guy for Texas Tech, or this guy from Colorado, or this guy from Nebraska, or this guy from ISU. Do you see the irony in that? If you don't go look at the Big12 rankings.

The funny thing about you is you bring up post about Capel should recruit this guy for Texas Tech, or this guy from Colorado, or this guy from Nebraska, or this guy from ISU. Do you see the irony in that? If you don't go look at the Big12 rankings.

Oh Snap!

:clap

Yea I think OU could have used John Roberson the past couple of years.. Mike Singletary this year... Alec Burks or Cory Higgins any time... Christian Standhardinger, Ade Dagundoro, Aleks Maric, etc any time... Craig Brackins, Marquis Gilstrap, Lucca Staiger, etc any time.

Those teams have big gaps that prevent them from being good, but that doesn't mean they don't have players that could start for Oklahoma.

What a horrible post.

I don't think we should be giving up on some of these young guys so easily. I'm willing to give Capel and the young guys on this team a chance beyond this disappointing season. If by this time next year nothing has changed then I will be very concerned.

The John Blake syndrome!

Back