Three-point defense

WichitaSooner

Reaction score
Disclaimer up front -- this is not to suggest that we have played good defense this year. We haven't. BUT . . . the stats show that the issue has not been three-point defense, which so many seem to think is a problem. The Athletic has a conference preview article today, and it shows the stats for all conference teams. So far, we have the third best opponent 3-pt percentage (and are just a fraction from being second). And, we have allowed the fewest "unguarded" threes in the league. The problem has been our two-point defense, especially when we play small (i.e., with Doo and Manek on the floor together). That will be our biggest challenge -- Doo is a very good defender, but there is only so much he can do when he is giving away so much size if he is having to guard the five. If Kur and/or Vic can improve on some of the defensive fundamentals and give us more/better minutes, it would help a lot.

From what I've seen, depending who is on the floor, we get lost in rotations and allow some wide-open shots. But, the biggest problem that I see is that we can't or won't rebound. If you allow your opponent to whip you on the boards, and you also can't shoot, then your defensive prowess matters less and less.

It seems that the biggest problem in three point defense is covering the deep corners. Maybe that is true of all teams. A lot of the threes we have given up are pretty well guarded.

Clearly the inside defense is the achiles heel. Kaugh is a key to improving that. Now he is too reactive. He is a quick enough jumper to wait a little longer before comitting himself.

I have thought we have not been good at defending the 3 for a few years now, and despite the stats, I still don't think we are good at defending it. But it isn't only because of our guards.

As SoonerinNC and steverocks said, I think our poor 3 pt defense is mainly because of our weak interior defense not only this year but the past few years. Our guards have to collapse to help out down low, and the ball is kicked out for wide-open 3s. Or our fowards/bigmen get lost when the ball is swung to the corner and don't cover fast enough. It has been a continual problem.

With that said, defensive guard play is contributing negatively in two ways. One because of how Kruger constantly switches up top. It helps for guarding the ball at the point/perimeter, but once it is reversed, our guards tend to be late to their man. Secondly, we have a real problem playing under the screen up high. Our big man hedges out on a high pick, but the guard never goes to pick up the guard on top of the screen but plays underneath it. Can't tell you how many open looks I have seen teams get against us for playing it this way.

Once BigXII play heats up, my guess is our 3pt D will suffer because teams know this is how our guards play on top.

I looked up a couple of stats on Kenpom regarding Defensive Efficiency and 3-pt% defense. This is where we line up over the past five years:
2019-20: #55 in DE; #163 in 3-pt% defense
2018-19: #23 in DE; #109 in 3-pt% defense (last year)
2017-18: #85 in DE; #240 in 3-pt% defense (Trae's year)
2016-17: #39 in DE; #262 in 3-pt% defense (collapse year)
2015-16: #17 in DE; #119 in 3-pt% defense (Final Four)

I was a little surprised to see that we hadn't been top-100 in 3-pt% defense even once over the last five years. But in 15/16 and 18/19, we defended the 2-point shots quite well....which improved our total DE ranking.

As a few have pointed out above, we aren't defending the 2-pt shots as well this year and we are giving up a higher % of offensive rebounds per possession....which is dragging our total DE down a bit this year.

I looked up a couple of stats on Kenpom regarding Defensive Efficiency and 3-pt% defense. This is where we line up over the past five years:
2019-20: #55 in DE; #163 in 3-pt% defense
2018-19: #23 in DE; #109 in 3-pt% defense (last year)
2017-18: #85 in DE; #240 in 3-pt% defense (Trae's year)
2016-17: #39 in DE; #262 in 3-pt% defense (collapse year)
2015-16: #17 in DE; #119 in 3-pt% defense (Final Four)

I was a little surprised to see that we hadn't been top-100 in 3-pt% defense even once over the last five years. But in 15/16 and 18/19, we defended the 2-point shots quite well....which improved our total DE ranking.

As a few have pointed out above, we aren't defending the 2-pt shots as well this year and we are giving up a higher % of offensive rebounds per possession....which is dragging our total DE down a bit this year.

I agree that was surprising. This group should get better throughout the year & next year should be good as well since we have so many newcomers this year. Think next year Bienemy & Harmon could be the best defensive backcourt in the Big12.

Back