TMG Should Be Starting Point Guard

OklahomaLibertarian

Reaction score
End of discussion.

Willie Warren is certainly not a point guard. He's a 2 guard who can drive and get to the bucket.

We need the ball in TMG's hands every time down the court and move Willie to the 2, full time.

We clearly took a step back tonight IMO as they shared the role. Granted we stunk from 3 and Tech has some talent so all is not lost. I just thought the change at guard was a glaring issue.

TMG seemed less effective..

End of discussion.

Willie Warren is certainly not a point guard. He's a 2 guard who can drive and get to the bucket.

We need the ball in TMG's hands every time down the court and move Willie to the 2, full time.

We clearly took a step back tonight IMO as they shared the role. Granted we stunk from 3 and Tech has some talent so all is not lost. I just thought the change at guard was a glaring issue.

+1

End of discussion.

TMG played very tired ... had nothing to do with WW ...

End of discussion.

He is the starting pg and he should have the ball the majority of the time. That being said, with his scoring ability, we also should give him opportunities to workfor his shot. You can't be a pg and work for your shot at the same time.

I totally agree with this...we are a better team with him running the point. This is where I think capel is hurting the team. He is trying to let Willie run the point, becuase Willie will more than likely be a PG in the NBA so they are wanting to show the scouts that he can handle the floor and the ball.

Only my 2nd post to this site, thinking about posting more

I totally agree with this...we are a better team with him running the point. This is where I think capel is hurting the team. He is trying to let Willie run the point, becuase Willie will more than likely be a PG in the NBA so they are wanting to show the scouts that he can handle the floor and the ball.

Only my 2nd post to this site, thinking about posting more

Welcome to the site!

I highly doubt Capel is worried about getting WW looks at PG for the scouts instead of trying to win games at this point. The problem is that WW and TMG both need to dominate the ball to be successful, neither one moves well without it.

TMG definitely seemed tired but I also got that sense of intimidation having Willie out there. Many times he was trying to force it to WW but as we have seen lately TMG can win without WW.

I guess the question is why is TMG always tired? Other guards in this league play similar minutes. Roberson wasn't tired.

I guess the question is why is TMG always tired? Other guards in this league play similar minutes. Roberson wasn't tired.

That is what I was thinking...with all of the TV timeouts mixed in with team timeouts, these guys get plenty of rest during the game. In addition, it's not like we are a pressure defense team, we sit back most of the game. Practices this time of year are not used for conditioning, just basically go over the scouting reports in action and get some shots up.

1. I don't think he particularly likes WW so that probably takes some energy from him;
2. He has not only been playing big minutes he has been carrying the team. That is a lot of pressure and probably wears on a freshman after a few games;
3. Most importantly, his knuckle headed buddies getting busted shoplifting probably took a lot of energy from him. The guy was turning the season aroudn for everyone and then they made a stupid decision.

I am very impressed with TMG. If he stays 4 years, the rest of the conference is going to hate him his senior year. They are going to wonder when they guy runs out of eligibility. Plus he is going to know Pledger, Fitzgerald and Gallon so well (and they will know him) that his assist numbers will be off the chart. His teammates screw up about two great passes a game right now.

So you think he is more mentally fatigued? I can buy that, as I think a lot of freshmen can get mentally fatigued. I just don't quite buy the physically fatigued. But I guess fatigued is fatigued.

1. I don't think he particularly likes WW so that probably takes some energy from him;

This sure seems like the case. There was a time where Crocker got a good look and missed toward the end of the game, but TMG was on the break and Willie was out in front getting to the corner, instead of having to work for a possible open look (which did happen) TMG just had to pass it to Willie. It looked like he saw him but just decided not to give it to him. Also, TMG has had his better games when Willie wasn't there or was playing solely to complement the team (except A&M).

Play is right, it is mental fatigue perhaps but not physical fatigue. These guys could, and do sometimes, play basketball for 10-12 hours a day. Physically, they could play a game every day and do it.

I could certainly see where anyone, much less a freshman, could become mentally fatigued and have a little less energy.

I thought tommy looked ok last night. He was a little short on his jumper a few times. It is amazing to me how accurate his shot is though, it always is on line and looks like it is going in. Love watching the kid play and barring something unforessen, he is going to have a great career.

I think the idea that "Tommy played tired" was more a creation of posters on this board than a statement of any known fact. It started when several of his shots came up short and he didn't appear to be playing with the energy we saw in the Texas game.

I doubt if he was physically fatigued at all. I personally believe that TMG tends to be less aggressive (and perhaps less focused) when he gives up control of the offense to Willie. It's only natural for a freshman to back off and give way to an upperclassman, especially when that player has been talked about as the team leader since long before the season began. I also think that when WW's number is called from the bench, Tommy is a little lost on offense because he's not a spot up shooter. He scores with the ball in his hands. JMHO for whatever it's worth.

Moving willie to the point last night was a mistake by capel imo. Moving a freshmen from point (where he had been playing really good) over to the two made little sense to me. He has shown that he can be really effective at the point. Taking willie and moving him to point (where he hasn't shown much) and displacing tmg is and was a mistake.

I don't like to talk bad about our players, but I don't see why the move was made. Willie isn't a pg; he needs to learn to move without the ball. I don't think he will be a pg in the pros either. He hasnt got the handles to be a pg. He should work on changing his shot and learn how to be a 2guard. jmo.

Why was TMG tired? Lifting too many weights? lol dude is big!

I think Warren should perhaps come off the bench FOR TMG right now. That way, TMG can get that starting burst and REST he needs. Then when he sits, Warren will have something to prove...

I'm not the coach but I play one on message boards.

TMG was sick with some type of upper respitory infection as was Cade who had bronchitis as well.

Back