Tommy Mason-Griffin Stat

GParker

Reaction score
Three pointers made/attempted: 34-77
Percentage: .442

TMG leads the team in makes yet is 4th in attempts. He is second in the Big 12 conference in overall (not just Big 12) three point percentage.

Very impressive.

Yes he is doing well Greg. The fact though is I can see him struggle at times because of his rise on his shot. If the timing gets off he would struggle obviously.Think of Lacedarious Dunn, he has few timing issues because of his set shot. I thought Pledge would shoot close to 50% this year and he won't make 20%.

Three pointers made/attempted: 34-77
Percentage: .442

TMG leads the team in makes yet is 4th in attempts. He is second in the Big 12 conference in overall (not just Big 12) three point percentage.

Very impressive.

Perhaps better shot selection for him. I am not implying poor selection by the others just that TMG takes what he considers a high percentage 3.

Perhaps better shot selection for him. I am not implying poor selection by the others just that TMG takes what he considers a high percentage 3.

Could be the case.

I think it also comes from Tommy being a great three point shooter. I've seen him take a lot of the same early in the shot clock/ guy near him threes that Willie takes and misses but TMG just happens to bury his. I really think this was an underrated part of the aspect in his game as there was definitely a reason why he was in the McDonald's All American three point contest and made the finals. Also I think he is by far the best pull up shooter on the team, it seems like Cade, Tony and Steve all thrive off catching and shooting where TMG can just pull up and drop in his defender's face.

The barometer on TMG is past pgs. It's unfair to throw Collins in the senario because he didn't get the major minutes TMG is getting as a freshman, but if you look at Eaton, Lavender, Sloan, Roberson, Carter, Jerrells, Pullen, Denmon, etc, he's miles ahead of them as a freshman. The one thing that I don't like about him is his lack of willingness to fight through screens, recover once he gets screened, and his tendancy to take quick shots. His floor general skills are alot better than I thought they would ever be. Especially coming from a guy who had an offense geared around him driving and shooting threes.

The barometer on TMG is past pgs. It's unfair to throw Collins in the senario because he didn't get the major minutes TMG is getting as a freshman, but if you look at Eaton, Lavender, Sloan, Roberson, Carter, Jerrells, Pullen, Denmon, etc, he's miles ahead of them as a freshman. The one thing that I don't like about him is his lack of willingness to fight through screens, recover once he gets screened, and his tendancy to take quick shots. His floor general skills are alot better than I thought they would ever be. Especially coming from a guy who had an offense geared around him driving and shooting threes.

This is my problem WW!

Tommy is developing into one heck of a point guard. You can almost see his confidence and maturity grow with every game. Oh, and he can shoot a little, too.

We tend to forget that this is nothing new for TMG. He was point guard who could score in high school and at the AAU level. He was also the runner-up in the three point shooting contest at last year's McDonald's AA Classic. Maybe a kid who has shot nearly 45% from three on 77 attempts needs to take more shots? Just sayin'...

Tommy is playing more and better defense than I could have imagined in his freshman year, compared to what he did in HS. I understand the concern over the elevation on his jumpers with regard to timing, but he's been shooting it that way for a long time and he rarely seems to run into any issues.

He was the leading scorer in the Houston metro area last year, he was a finalist in the 3 pt shooting contest at the McDonalds game, and his numbers this season are the subject of this thread.

He's only going to get better, IMO.

I know for a fact that he is working harder on the screen issue and his defense. Coach Capel and Coach T. have really been on him about being a more complete point guard. BOOMER SOONER BABY!!!

Yeah, defensively it's the working through screens and contesting the three ptr that he needs to work on. He's contesting the three too late and guys are just shooting over him. He's got to be able to get in a guy's chest on the catch instead of closing out late. Also, every frosh pg is going to get screened like crazy. It's the best way to throw these guys off their games because they don't understand when to go under or over the screens yet.

Back