Tulsa World: Warren could return Wednesday

thebigabd

Reaction score
By Staff Reports
Published: 2/15/2010 3:43 PM
Last Modified: 2/15/2010 3:43 PM

Read more from this Tulsa World article at http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsext...ectid=92&articleid=20100215_92_0_Willie600806

Willie Warren could be back in the University of Oklahoma's basketball lineup on Wednesday at Colorado, but the status of freshman Tiny Gallon remains unclear.

Warren, the team's top scorer, missed Saturday's 97-76 loss against Oklahoma State with mononucleosis. OU hasn't formally announced Warren's return, but team trainer Alex Brown said Monday that Warren's recovery has gone better than expected.

The Sooners play the Buffaloes at 8 p.m. in Boulder, Colo. Warren, a sophomore guard, averages 16.2 points per game, but he's been out of the lineup recently. Before missing Saturday's game due to mono, he missed two with a sprained ankle.

Gallon was suspended for Saturday's game and OU officials haven't commented on whether the suspension will continue or the reason for the suspension.

OU coach Jeff Capel said he couldn't talk about the issue on Monday when reporters asked him for information. Gallon, a 6-foot-9 McDonald's All-American, is OU's top post player. He averages 10.4 points and 8.0 rebounds per game.

Read more from this Tulsa World article at http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsext...ectid=92&articleid=20100215_92_0_Willie600806

Am I the only one who is confused by this latest development? :confused:

Yesterday's headline in the Norman Transcript said Warren may be done for the Season. Now the Tulsa World is claiming he may be back for OU's game at Colorado on Wednesday.

Maybe someone with medical training can enlighten us on the effects of Mono? I was under the impression that it generally lingers for days, weeks and even months, and only goes away with rest. Did the doctor(s) jump the gun on WW's diagnosis, or is this truly a Valentine's Day miracle as IntenseDefense suggested?

Someone on an OU team (I can't remember who) had mono within the past 10 years or so. I remember reading that after they started feeling better and their blood work was better the one thing that determined when they could play again was if the spleen was enlarged or not. Once the spleen is not enlarged, they were cleared to play.

From what I understand, everyone is different. Willie could have had this for some time but the diagnosis might not have been made until he was nearly over it. From what I remember, our doctor told us that it's something that will run it's course, but the enlarged spleen that some people get is what can cause problems.

This last 9 days has been one of the most intense, dramatic, provocative, and confusing days that I as a Sooner fan have been involved in. I really wish we could have a few days where there is no news/accidents/suspensions/injuries and just win a road game.

lol, so he goes from possibly being out for the year to returning on wednesday....lol can someone post factual information?

He won't be playing and if he does he is endangering himself and the other players around him.

The Tulsa World didn't say where they got their information. The Norman Transcript seems to have gotten their information from a Sports Medicine website. Who knows who is right.

I doubt that WW would be allowed to play if he was contagious or if he could harm himself.

Am I the only one who is confused by this latest development? :confused:

Yesterday's headline in the Norman Transcript said Warren may be done for the Season. Now the Tulsa World is claiming he may be back for OU's game at Colorado on Wednesday.

Maybe someone with medical training can enlighten us on the effects of Mono? I was under the impression that it generally lingers for days, weeks and even months, and only goes away with rest. Did the doctor(s) jump the gun on WW's diagnosis, or is this truly a Valentine's Day miracle as IntenseDefense suggested?

Your problem Ada is that you are paying attention to what you read in the paper. Worse, you are paying attention to two newspapers. Forget what you read and all your confusion will go away.

The Tulsa World didn't say where they got their information. The Norman Transcript seems to have gotten their information from a Sports Medicine website. Who knows who is right.

I doubt that WW would be allowed to play if he was contagious or if he could harm himself.[/QUOTE]

so if the bolded area is the case...and he is not contagious...was he ever in that bad of shape to miss the osu game? I dont know alot about mono but from what I do know it doesnt go away in a matter of days?

I doubt that WW would be allowed to play if he was contagious or if he could harm himself.[/QUOTE]

so if the bolded area is the case...and he is not contagious...was he ever in that bad of shape to miss the osu game? I dont know alot about mono but from what I do know it doesnt go away in a matter of days?

They kept him at home because he is very contagious and you are right, mono doesn't just go away.

Your problem Ada is that you are paying attention to what you read in the paper. Worse, you are paying attention to two newspapers. Forget what you read and all your confusion will go away.

BC, do you think I should add fan boards to that list? :)

Here's what the Mayo Clinic says about how Mono is spread:

Infectious mononucleosis (mono) is often called the kissing disease. The virus that causes mono is transmitted through saliva, so you can get it through kissing, but you can also be exposed through a cough or sneeze, or by sharing a glass or food utensil with someone who has mono. However, mononucleosis isn't as contagious as some infections, such as the common cold.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/mononucleosis/DS00352

Ada, that definition is true but if you get mono its like that Uncle that everyone has that won't go away! lol It stays! All I did was sleep for 3 weeks and it sucked, sore throat, no energy, very lethargic. It sucked!

I hope he does. I don't think OU can win basketball games without both Tiny and WW.

I am going to reserve judgment as I obviously don't have any way of knowing what willie's condition is at this time. It sounds to me like more shoddy reporting by whoever wrote that article about WW potentially being out for the year. He was apparently talking out of his arse. That's becoming an epidemic in the "journalistic" community these days.

It sounds to me like more shoddy reporting by whoever wrote that article about WW potentially being out for the year. He was apparently talking out of his arse. That's becoming an epidemic in the "journalistic" community these days.

John Shinn wrote it, but I just went and read the story and I don't think your beef is with him or the reporting. The story makes clear the information is just a general description of mono, not specifically Willie's condition.

If anything, I think the problem lies with the copy editor or whoever wrote that headline, which probably wasn't the best choice IMO.

People who have mono often have an enlarged spleen. Anyone who has an enlarged spleen is at a higher risk of rupturing their spleen.

I don't know how I feel about this, hopefully Alex Brown and Capel can make the right decision because I don't think Willie needs to be risking his life enlarged spleen or not.

I think we can all agree that there is no way he will be allowed to play if doing so would present a danger to himself or others. That's what we have trainers for.

If was a betting man, I'd say he won't play Wednesday and won't be out for the rest of the season.

That's the problem with both of these stories, they leave themselves an out by saying could. Well, he could never play again. He could score 100 points on Wednesday.

Back