Ty Lazenby = David Godbold?

thebigabd

Reaction score
David Godbold was recruited by basically nobody out of high school, and signed by OU late in the game. He never averaged more than 7.7 points per game at OU, but I don't think anyone would say he didn't have a big impact on the program during his time there.

He had some huge games against loaded opponents, and just played within himself. He had serious problems with dribbling, a slow release, and had limited athletic ability. But he played hard defense, knocked down some shots, and at 6'5'' 220 was a big player at the SG spot.

When I watch the Lazenby high school videos (and apparently he put on a bunch of weight, got quicker, stronger, etc in juco but I haven't seen it) I imagine it was a little like Godbold. Doesn't have a quick release, isn't the greatest ball-handler, but is good size and can get the ball in the hole.

We will see, and comparing to Godbold is pretty lofty at this point despite the fact David only averaged 6 points and 4 rebounds per game on his career, but I wouldn't be surprised if Ty had a Godbold-ish role on the team.

Ty Lazenby (6'5'' 215)
He scored 22.9 points per game with 4.7 rebounds and 2.3 assists. He shot 86 percent from the free throw line, 45 percent from the field and 36 percent on his 3-point attempts. Been the MVP on every team he has ever played on since his freshman year of high school, won championships 3 years in a row in high school.

David Godbold (6'5'' 220)
Averaged 24.0 points, 11.3 rebounds and 2.1 steals per game as a senior at Douglass High School... Named to The Oklahoman's All-City Team and to the Oklahoma Coaches Association's All-State Team .

If Ty is David Godbold, we won, no doubt. Loved that kid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I remember reading about Godbold and thinking WTF...! Ended up loving the dude!

Would definitely be a big win if it worked out that way.

Godbold was a preferred walk-on iirc. He played his way into a scholarship, though. I don't think this guy is like godbold. Lazenby is a better shooter for sure.

Godbold was a preferred walk-on iirc. He played his way into a scholarship, though. I don't think this guy is like godbold. Lazenby is a better shooter for sure.

Godbold was a pretty good shooter. Always remember that game winner in Lubbock that he shot from Amarillo.

I'll also remember David Godbold as being such a key player in our 2008 NCAA Tournament win over St. Josephs. The win was huge because it was getting nauseating that OU could not win 1st round NCAA Tournament games seeded anywhere from #6 - #11. Those are all toss-up games...should win close to half of them, yet OU was on a 4-game losing streak prior to Goldbold's heroics. It was such a relief that we finally won a game like that...of course, my memory of the game two days after St Joe's conveniently went blank.

Hopefully, abd's comparison will turn out to be a good one.

Godbold was a scholarship player from the get go. He was a late offer a la Jordan Shepherd last year.

The reason I don't like these comparisons is high school kids have 4 years to develop into a quality player. They can spend a year or two getting used to the speed of the game in big time college hoops and still have years left to contribute. You don't get that with a JUCO guy, which is part of why I hate recruiting them.

I always liked David Godbold. Kelvin was criticized for "wasting" a scholarship on him, but he proved to be a solid role player and sometimes starter for most of his career. If Ty Lazenby does that or more during his career, I will be happy.

For anyone who might be interested in what DG is doing these days, he's still making money overseas playing basketball:

http://basketball.realgm.com/player/David-Godbold/Summary/4558

Sorry to bring this up, but no DG thread would be complete without a word or two about his suspension. Anyone remember what it was for?

I know WaymanFan can answer that question. He doesn't forget anything. Wish I had his remarkable memory!

I always liked David Godbold. Kelvin was criticized for "wasting" a scholarship on him, but he proved to be a solid role player and sometimes starter for most of his career. If Ty Lazenby does that or more during his career, I will be happy.

For anyone who might be interested in what DG is doing these days, he's still making money overseas playing basketball:

http://basketball.realgm.com/player/David-Godbold/Summary/4558

Sorry to bring this up, but no DG thread would be complete without a word or two about his suspension. Anyone remember what it was for?

I know WaymanFan can answer that question. He doesn't forget anything. Wish I had his remarkable memory!

I ran into DG a few weeks ago, playing in a tourney at Putnam City HS. His team made the semis, but I don't know if they won it. A good friend of mine who played overseas and is trying to get back at it was also in the tourney. Once his team lost, I didn't attend anymore.The tourney had some pretty good players from the OKC, Dallas, Houston areas. Either DeAngelo or Xavier Alexander played, Ebi Ere was supposed to play, along with a bunch of the NAIA players from the area. The cash prizes were pretty significant....

Got a chance to talk to DG as I knew him in HS at Douglas. He is a very respectful, classy young man. He can play, though some HS kid from Texas put him on a poster during the game I saw.....

Godbold was a strong physical athlete who was a streaky shooter. I don't think Lazenby is nearly as thick and he is a scorer compared to Godbold. His game is based on offense now if it translates to the Big 1 we will see. Hopefully it does.

Godbold was a strong physical athlete who was a streaky shooter. I don't think Lazenby is nearly as thick and he is a scorer compared to Godbold. His game is based on offense now if it translates to the Big 1 we will see. Hopefully it does.

I agree with your assessment, vbdad! Godbold was an exceptional athlete with impressive hops. Lazenby uses his court smarts and his fundamentally sound skills in nearly every area to score in a variety of ways. I haven't seen him enough on defense to say if he can defend at the next level.

Despite my usual excitement about adding a new player to our roster, there is a lot to like about Ty Lazenby. He has been a winner at every stop so far. Anyone who has watched his highlight and game videos from his freshman to his sophomore season has to know that he made some huge strides from one year to the next. If he continues to improve, he could help us next season.

IIRC Godbold was a good defender and a decent shooter. He was a classic Kelvin kid. I don't think fans appreciated him until he was gone. If Lazenby is a DG clone, it will be a steal...we need that toughness.

But yeah, I seem him more as a Cade or Neal

I was also thinking Cade Davis.

Thats not racist.........
I was thinking Austin Mankin, Tyler Neal, Austin Granstaff, Mark Gasol, Dirk N, kinda Blake Griffin but only maybe half, def CJ Cole. He reminds me a lot of Baker Mayfield, not Kyler Murray not near the "athlete", kind of resembles Eric Decker, maybe Ty Darlington.

Last edited:
Thats not racist.........
I was thinking Austin Mankin, Tyler Neal, Austin Granstaff, Mark Gasol, Dirk N, kinda Blake Griffin but only maybe half, def CJ Cole. He reminds me a lot of Baker Mayfield, not Kyler Murray not near the "athlete", kind of resembles Eric Decker, maybe Ty Darlington.

:facepalm

Back