Welcome back, Studio 66!

Sooner23

Reaction score
Can't wait to see Doug Bell and Chris "Pipes" Piper back in the studio breaking it down on Saturday. Would be incredible though if Billy Tubbs joined their team.

If we're lucky, we'll get Reid Gettys in Norman for the A&M game. If so, I may skip the game in person so I can listen to Reid's "Oh son!" call when Cameron Clark throws down his first slam on the big stage that is the Big 12 Network.

I've got a hankering to eat some Oberto beef jerky and then head to the gym to dribble a tire.

Does anybody remember back before they had "Studio 66" and instead we had Raycom sports that broadcasted big 8 basketball?

Jay Randolph, Fred White, and Gary Thompson used to do 1 game per week during the week and 1 game on Saturday. I'll never forget when they added Dave Armstrong and he was really young and had his signature call "WOW!". We thought he was the biggest goob, but he's pretty good now.

Randolph and Fred White were Kansas homers (at least they seemed that way), while Thompson was an ex-ISU star so he was a big Johnny Orr fan. As a Royals fan, I've had a hard time being a fan of Fred White because I can remember how biased he seemed in big 8 basketball.

Anyway, as a college basketball fan, I'm glad we have the studio 66 and Dave Bell because I can remember when it was a lot less than that. Too bad Stacey isn't still doing color commentary for Big 12 basketball though...he was good.

Last edited:
Studio66 Fun Fact: Doug Bell beat out Oklahoma's own Bob "I don't know guys, you tell me" Barry Jr. for the studio host position.

Does anybody remember back before they had "Studio 66" and instead we had Raycom sports that broadcasted big 8 basketball?

Jay Randolph, Fred White, and Gary Thompson used to do 1 game per week during the week and 1 game on Saturday. I'll never forget when they added Dave Armstrong and he was really young and had his signature call "WOW!". We thought he was the biggest goob, but he's pretty good now.

Randolph and Fred White were Kansas homers (at least they seemed that way), while Thompson was an ex-ISU star so he was a big Johnny Orr fan. As a Royals fan, I've had a hard time being a fan of Fred White because I can remember how biased he seemed in big 8 basketball.

Anyway, as a college basketball fan, I'm glad we have the studio 66 and Dave Bell because I can remember when it was a lot less than that. Too bad Stacey isn't still doing color commentary for Big 12 basketball though...he was good.

Paul Splittorf does not approve this post.

I always wondered why they had a former MLB pitcher calling the games but from what I remember he did a pretty good job.

Paul Splittorf does not approve this post.

I always wondered why they had a former MLB pitcher calling the games but from what I remember he did a pretty good job.

Split was awesome! He was one of my favorites. Seems like he started doing the broadcasts once it became the Studio 66. The Raycom days only had a few guys because they only did 1 game on Saturday and 1 game during the week. We are spoiled now that every game is on TV.

I've got a hankering to eat some Oberto beef jerky and then head to the gym to dribble a tire.

:clap

Allsome.

Who's ready for the first "WOW!!!!" of the season?

:woot

Where is triplefatty these days? There is no one who loved Studio 66 more?

This thread is greatness. Some observations:
--can't wait to see an excited Bell promise us "we'll be with you all the way to Kansas City this year." Got me over my post-BCS depression returning from FL a couple of years ago.
--isn't Pipes gone? The rather lame Aggie Manzer and his Sears wardrobe were on the desk last year.
--I nearly wept when Fred White called it quits in KC in 2008.
--is Split still around? I know he survived Fred leaving and had that speech problem that was getting better.
--I'm ready to see a car's GPS go crazy for Phillips gasoline, and a staged family pillow fight from the late 1990s.

Can they pick up Ron Franklin? 'Cause they ain't got no *****es that need to be kept in line.

I'm envisioning Ron doing a lot of hunting with Bob Knight and Dick Cheney. That seems like it would be a really tight crew.

This thread is greatness. Some observations:
--can't wait to see an excited Bell promise us "we'll be with you all the way to Kansas City this year." Got me over my post-BCS depression returning from FL a couple of years ago.
--isn't Pipes gone? The rather lame Aggie Manzer and his Sears wardrobe were on the desk last year.
--I nearly wept when Fred White called it quits in KC in 2008.
--is Split still around? I know he survived Fred leaving and had that speech problem that was getting better.
--I'm ready to see a car's GPS go crazy for Phillips gasoline, and a staged family pillow fight from the late 1990s.

I think Split will be back this year as he did a bunch of the Royals games last season. Beware, he sounds totally different, at least he did during baseball season. I couldn't figure out who it was until somebody told me.

Back