The Great Billy Tubbs

A shameless thread bump in honor of the day's festivities. If I had my way, the floor would be "Billy Tubbs Court". I think that's an honor befitting such a unique guy. I miss him. He was one of a kind, and we were lucky to have him.

Tubbs was our coach when I was born, but I was too young to understand, or even really remember. Despite this, he still has a special place for me.

What happened in those final years? I've never quite understood why he fell off, or how exactly we made that transition to a new coach while he still remained active for several years.

A shameless thread bump in honor of the day's festivities. If I had my way, the floor would be "Billy Tubbs Court". I think that's an honor befitting such a unique guy. I miss him. He was one of a kind, and we were lucky to have him.
Name the court after him.

I remember the Dave Bliss years, and those times are not to be slighted in the least. He showed you can win at OU.

But Billy created the monster. The original post of this thread states it all.

That was a golden era in both football and basketball. I'll never get over the 1988 NC game because I knew we'd never get back there. Nonetheless, great memories.

Tubbs was our coach when I was born, but I was too young to understand, or even really remember. Despite this, he still has a special place for me.

What happened in those final years? I've never quite understood why he fell off, or how exactly we made that transition to a new coach while he still remained active for several years.
Others can fill in the gaps, but this is how I remember it.

Once the football scandal occurred and the ensuing probation started, Billy had a harder time getting recruits past OU compliance and into school. Billy also feuded with administration, including AD Donnie Duncan.

TCU offered him a significant bump in pay, and he left.

He had a good thing going, though the program had taken a slight dip. In 1993, the Big 8 got six of eight teams into the tournament. OU was not one of them.

We were very fortunate Kelvin followed him and took the program to similar heights, though with a polar opposite style that the fan base never bought into.

Last edited:
It is true that a lot of years we didn’t play great D, although a lot of that was just his scheme. But it was always fun. I saw some tough losses during his tenure but a LOT more great wins.

I remember being at a Knicks game in MSG in the late 80s. The locals behind me were talking about the great teams in college basketball and OU was on their list. That is respect when getting that from that part of the country. That will probably never happen again..

It is true that a lot of years we didn’t play great D, although a lot of that was just his scheme. But it was always fun. I saw some tough losses during his tenure but a LOT more great wins.

I remember being at a Knicks game in MSG in the late 80s. The locals behind me were talking about the great teams in college basketball and OU was on their list. That is respect when getting that from that part of the country. That will probably never happen again..

The college product is so much worse now that it’s an afterthought to hardcore nba fans.

Back