Well one more year in the Big 12.

I’m not certain of the amounts but I think the big12 makes $40 mil per team. So this year we would forfeit the $40mil and then next they will get another $10mil of our $85mil sec deal. We made out pretty darn well considering the original prognosticators expected us to have to forfeit $80mil plus whatever we make in the sec until the grant of rights expired.
Thanks, I had been trying to confirm the timeframe of distribution forfeiture. To me, it was ambiguously worded for the Big 12 to save face.

If it’s true and we just get out by the $50mm amount (mainly covered by forfeiting the Big 12 distribution in 2024), that’s a dream come true for us like you said.

Thanks, I had been trying to confirm the timeframe of distribution forfeiture. To me, it was ambiguously worded for the Big 12 to save face.

If it’s true and we just get out by the $50mm amount (mainly covered by forfeiting the Big 12 distribution in 2024), that’s a dream come true for us like you said.

It won't be the 2024 distribution that saves us. If we aren't in the Big 12, there is not Big 12 distribution to forfeit. It might end up being that the 2023 fees are forfeited to pay a piece of the $50M.

It won't be the 2024 distribution that saves us. If we aren't in the Big 12, there is not Big 12 distribution to forfeit. It might end up being that the 2023 fees are forfeited to pay a piece of the $50M.
You are misunderstanding what I am saying, but your example earlier shows we are on the same page so think it’s largely semantics. OU is not collecting the $45-50mm in Big 12 distributions in 2024 (your example lists the $42mm). They are allowed to collect whatever the SEC amount is going to be (in your argument, $85mm) in 2024.

If there’s a gap between the agreed upon release amount ($50mm) and the net increase from the SEC/Big 12 distribution amounts (in your earlier post, $43mm), that will have to be covered by other funds.

Last edited:
You are misunderstanding what I am saying, but your example earlier shows we are on the same page so think it’s largely semantics. OU is not collecting the $45-50mm in Big 12 distributions in 2024 (your example lists the $42mm). They are allowed to collect whatever the SEC amount is going to be (in your argument, $85mm) in 2024.

If there’s a gap between the agreed upon release amount ($50mm) and the net increase from the SEC/Big 12 distribution amounts (in your earlier post, $43mm), that will have to be covered by other funds.

This is my understanding. Not as clear on the numbers after what Boulder said but I know ou wouldn’t be doing this unless it was a massive increase in terms of revenue and profit margin over time.

I was under the impression that the contract bumps up by $10 million per team when ou and texas join? Going from $65mil to $85mil.

it is almost for sure going up some amount no one really knows how much as of yet ..

The fact is, nobody knows. The negotiated contract the SEC has for 2024 doesn't include OU/ut, and doesn't include what is likely to be a 9th game. Whatever amounts are out there now for projected SEC payouts in 2024, they are going to change now. OU and ut not receiving a full share is based on the contract with ESPN not changing. If it changes, I imagine OU and ut might get their full share.

Regardless, no matter what the numbers end up being, the cost of OU leaving early is not $50M. It's less when you factor in all of the other moving pieces.

100% agree

The fact is, nobody knows. The negotiated contract the SEC has for 2024 doesn't include OU/ut, and doesn't include what is likely to be a 9th game. Whatever amounts are out there now for projected SEC payouts in 2024, they are going to change now. OU and ut not receiving a full share is based on the contract with ESPN not changing. If it changes, I imagine OU and ut might get their full share.

Regardless, no matter what the numbers end up being, the cost of OU leaving early is not $50M. It's less when you factor in all of the other moving pieces.

There are SEC fans saying their teams are taking less money for one year to get OU/tx into the SEC a year earlier. That’s sounds far fetched, but nobody really knows what the real numbers are going to be. OU getting a partial share in the SEC could still end up being more than Their Big12 share, but who knows. I’m not convinced OU will be short any revenue when everything shakes out.

Back