Went to see Odomes last night

globecode

Reaction score
Copperas Cove played in South Austin last night at Akins HS. I went over to watch Rashard Odomes play. I got there about mid way through the 1st qtr and stayed until there was 2 min left in the game. Here are my thoughts on watching him for 1 hour+ on 1 night. :)

If you are a MaxPreps member you can see the box score here: http://www.maxpreps.com/high-schools/copperas-cove-bulldawgs-(copperas-cove,tx)/basketball/home.htm

The Austin American-Statesman shows Odomes to have scored 21 points. I probably saw 15 of those.

CC was a much bigger team than Akins. Akins tallest player was probably 6'2 and Odomes consistently had a guy who was 6'0 or smaller on him. He plays mainly as a wing in a 4 out 1 in team. They have a 6'7 post who stays inside most of the time. They do run some motion offense and almost all the possessions went through Odomes, usually by a pass from the point to Odomes at the wing.

Offense
Odomes hit one 3 ptr just after I got there. He missed 2 others. Akins played off of him for the most part, conceding the 3. CC's gameplan was to get the ball inside and so Odomes did a good job of being patient and trying to get the ball inside the whole time.

He ran a couple of pick and rolls from the wing and passed it to the screener for layups.

Most his points probably came from the free throw line. He likes to slash and usually was fouled trying to shoot a mid lane floater off of penetration. He is a very good free throw shooter. He did have one drive to the baseline for a dunk, very nice. He has a nice first step on his drives and is very adept at changing direction in the lane.

He isn't very strong dribbling with the right hand. Definitely prefers to drive with his left.

He posted up a couple of times in the midpost. At least last night it didn't seem like a natural thing for him. He preferred to start his offense on the wing.

Defense
CC played mostly man in the first half and mostly zone in the second half. Odomes matched up with the PG a few times and played him well. He isn't a lockdown defender but is long and likes to play the passing lane when off the ball. CC pressed just a few times and it was effective. In the zone Odomes would float out to the wing a lot trying to pick off the wing pass.

Intangibles
Odomes is the definite leader of the team. He is vocal and likes to congratulate teammates when they make good plays. He was also very unselfish. I think he easily could have scored 30+ and made sure he got a shot up on every possession but he stuck to the game plan. He found open teammates several times for layups or easy buckets. He looked 6'6 to me and was slender but not skinny.

Thanks a lot! Always great to haves eyes on recruits!

Much appreciated, globecode!

This is my favorite part:

Odomes is the definite leader of the team. He is vocal and likes to congratulate teammates when they make good plays. He was also very unselfish. I think he easily could have scored 30+ and made sure he got a shot up on every possession but he stuck to the game plan. He found open teammates several times for layups or easy buckets. He looked 6'6 to me and was slender but not skinny.

Back