Westmoore coach still seeks more after blowout win

bluesooner17

Reaction score
By Michael Kinney

Transcript Sports Writer

It was just business for the Westmoore girls. There was nothing personal in the way they went after the Oklahoma City Knights Thursday in the first round of the Lady Jaguars Invitational.

The No. 1 team in Class 6A dismantled the young Knights 96-23 to advance to the semifinals Friday at Westmoore High.

“We played not quite as focused as we wanted to be, but not bad for a first game after (more than) three weeks,” Westmoore coach Andrea Guziec said. “I’ll take it.”

At no point were the Jaguars (8-0) in danger of losing to the Knights. After starting the contest with a 19-0 run, the competitive part left gym.

The run was kicked off by Westmoore’s 3-point shooting. As Sydney Chastain directed the offense, it led to wide open three-pointers for Ashley Gomez and Jessi Murcer. The two combined for four of the team’s five 3-pointers in the first half as the Jags took a 49-15 lead.

“We’re definitely pretty tough when hitting our perimeter shots,” Guziec said. “It definitely makes it a lot easier when you’re scoring buckets. If were playing on both ends of the court, it’s a good night for us.”

But Westmoore was also able to get strong play in the paint from Jayci Stonebraker. She scored eight of her 14 points in the first half.

“I felt like we did all right,” Stonebraker said. “We could have done a much better job on defense. I felt like we were down too much on defense. But I felt like in the second half we came out much better.”

The steamroll continued into the second half. Whether it was the Westmoore starters or the reserves, they had their way with the Knights.

Gomez and Murcer each posted 15 points in limited minutes. Veronica Zilajeva scored 9 points while Chastain scored 7.

Gracie Williams led the Knights with 14 points.

As dominant of a performance as the Jaguars displayed, this has been the norm for them this season. Westmoore have yet to have a tight contest. In their eight games, the closes game was a 13 point win over Newcastle Dec. 11

“We just want to go out and play our game,” Stonebraker said. “And just keep playing Westmoore basketball. We’ve got big goals set for this season.”

OKC Knights vs. Westmoore (WESTMOORE)

Final 1 2 3 4 Total
OKC Knights 8 7 0 8 23
Westmoore 29 20 26 21 96

Scoring Summary
Westmoore: J. Murcer 15, Gomez 15, Stonebreaker 14, Zilajeva 9, Chastain 7, Smith 7, Richardson 7, Cottom 7, K. Murcer 5, Carter 4, Sykes 2, Outon 2, Cole 2
OKC Knights: Williams 14, Ferguson 4, Baxter 2, Glass 1, Smith 1, Futrell 1

Westmoore presses fullcourt the entire game. That created numerous turnovers.

Back