What do you all make of ATM?

earlpearl

Reaction score
It looks to me that they could struggle against quick athletic teams. Davis is a player. Their outside game is very poor. They look like a poorman's version of UT.

Texas A&M surprising me...

They have wins over ranked Minnesota and ranked Clemson away from home... They play insane defense and some of their returning guys are very good.

Where did this offense from Roland come from? He comes into this year averaging like 5 points a game and he has been a good offensive player for them. He has had a few 20 point games this year and still plays defense at a "defensive player of the year" level.

They are just solid at every position. They don't have any weak links, but they also don't have any extraordinary players.

Looks like I was wrong about A&M, because they are looking pretty darn good right now.

Re: Texas A&M surprising me...

Surprised that you could admit that they are good.

But seriously there is no reason to be surprised when a team brings back as many solid players as they have and they play defense like they do every year. Guys like Sloan, Roland, Davis, Holmes and Harris have all been solid contributors and are now experienced and getting a chance to start and play big minutes.

There's a reason that every major publication picked them in the top half of the Big 12. They won't be going to the final four or anything, but they should make the NCAA tourney and have a chance to win their first game like they did last year.

I was pretty high on them from the start, and think they have the best perimeter defense in the league. It looks like Roland has really progressed offensively which is exactly what they needed.

You are correct defense can never be overestimated. I have seen flashes out of Roland in the past. I wonder if he can sustain it. I still think teams with quick athletic guards will give them trouble. They do have a solid frontline.

People have bagged on Turgeon over the years but his teams play really solid D and he seemingly gets them to play together. He's a good coach. A&M is a surprise at this point with those two big victories.

If I had to rank the Big 12 today I would have A&M ahead of OU. But OU has much more room for improvement and potential to improve than A&M. Our current lineup has MAA's that have no experience.

A&M's lineup would be kind of like if we replaced Tiny/TMG with AJ/Taylor Griffin (the senior versions). We would be better right now, but down the line our ceiling wouldn't be as high as it is with the two freshmen.

If I had to rank the Big 12 today I would have A&M ahead of OU. But OU has much more room for improvement and potential to improve than A&M. Our current lineup has MAA's that have no experience.

A&M's lineup would be kind of like if we replaced Tiny/TMG with AJ/Taylor Griffin (the senior versions). We would be better right now, but down the line our ceiling wouldn't be as high as it is with the two freshmen.

Way to go out on a limb.

Back