What was that miraculous rally vs. ISU like in person?

NMSooner'80

Reaction score
I think that game was in 1998?

That's the home game where OU was down by seven with under a minute to play and still won in regulation. It must have been amazing to see in person. I only heard about it on the radio out here in New Mexico, just after the game ended.

I'd rather blow out ISU, but I don't think OU equipped to do that this year. However, another game for the ages, while it might cause heart failure for anyone over 30, would be okay with me tonight.

It was amazing. Thought OU had blown it as Fizer had a break away dunk with about 2 seconds left and Humphrey caught him and swatted it away.

If I remember correctly, that last couple of minutes was all Corey Brewer.

It was almost identical to the Mississppi State game that year (the opposing team had a big lead and then OU made a feverish comeback in the last 2 minutes led by Brewer) except OU lost to MSU in OT in that one.

Last edited:
what's funny was a big crowd was leaving and we were screaming "you're gonna miss out...watch...we'll come back and you'll be sorry".

POOF!!!!!

It was glorious.

Wasn't at that one, but had great seats for the next ISU visit when it took 2 OTs to tame the Clones. I remember Avila of all players had a couple of big buckets in the extra periods.

1998. I had just transferred from ISU to OU. Crazy game. I watched from a TV in Walker Tower. I couldn't believe I was the only one on my floor that wanted to watch the game. Unfortunately, I soon figured out that was because OU basketball didn't have much of an on campus following at all.

I was at that game!! I was a young one, but I remember that ISU hadn't really emerged as the great team they'd be later in the year, and that a lot of OU fans were pissed that they took us to the wire! hahah

Back