Why will Texas Tech suck?

thebigabd

Reaction score
I really dont see a reason why Texas Tech should suck, and Pat Knight thinks the situation will improve as well. They addressed all of their needs in recruiting, and return the most important pieces of a very young group of players.

Knight took full blame for the record last year, saying that he didnt focus on defense and tried to outscore people. He claims they will be stressing defense and rebounding much more this year, so we will see how that pans out.

They ended the year well by slaughtering Kansas (was that not beautiful?) and beating A&M in the Big 12 Tournament.

Likely starters

PG: John Roberson (5'11'' 165)
-One of the top returning point guards in the Big 12. Averaged 14.4 points, 6.4 assists, and 3.6 rebounds as a sophomore. Ranked #1 in conference for assists. Hit 70 three point shots on the year.

SG: Nick Okorie (6'1'' 195)
-One of the top newcomers in the Big 12 last year, and landed a spot on the Big 12 All Newcomer team as a junior. Averaged 11.5 points and 3.1 rebounds per game. Good scorer and shooter who really turned in on in conference. Had 24 at Texas, 24 at Oklahoma, 21 at Kansas State, 17 against Kansas, 15 at Iowa State, 17 against Oklahoma State..

SG: David Tairu (6'3'' 185)
-Most Valuable Player of the Western Junior College Athletic Conference as well as a third team Junior College All-American at South Plains College. Averaged 17.5 points per game in just 24 minutes per game, leading his team to a 27-4 record. Shot 46% from the 3pt line as a sophomore. Has been compared athletically and in skill to Nick Okorie.

PF: Mike Singletary (6'6'' 220)
-Averaged 11 points and 6 rebounds per game off the bench as a sophomore. Only played 22 minutes a game, and only started 4 games all year. Went for 43 points in the Big 12 Tournament against A&M, scoring 29 straight. Should be ready for some big junior and senior seasons now that he got a year of play under his belt. Perhaps the biggest mismatch problem in the Big 12.

C: Robert Lewandowski (6'10'' 240)
-Had a solid freshman year, averaging 7 points and 4 rebounds per game. Led Tech against A&M with 20 points, and also led against Missouri with 16 points. Pat Knight is really high on his future at Tech.

Bench
Brad Reese (6'6'' 190)- One of the top juco recruits in the country. Good shooter on the perimeter. Chose Tech over OSU, LSU, Arkansas, and South Florida.
Theron Jenkins (6'6'' 211)- Good shooter at 6'6'' on the perimeter, another juco. Chose Tech over South Carolina, Nebraska, and UAB.
Jaye Crockett (6'7'' 190)- Top recruit out of New Mexico
Trevor Cook (6'9'' 240)- Starter until he blew his knee out last year. Had a big game against Pitt and was averaging about 8 per game.
Darko Cohadarivic (6'9'' 240)- Will go in there and bang and have goofy hair.
Dwalyn Roberts (6'7'' 200)- Started at power forward most of the year.

If Pat Knight cant win with this team next year he should be fired on the spot... No excuses anymore.

He has a really good point guard, a big time power forward, a promising young center, and recruited some great athletes (Tairu, Jenkins, Reese, and Crockett) to upgrade their ability on the perimeter.

I don't think they will suck. But they play in the toughest division in the country. And when you stack their talent up against UT, OU, Baylor, OSU and A&M, they are a little behind. I think it is reasonable to expect that they will go 2-8 or 3-7 against the South. And that is not a formula for a successful season.

I don't think they will suck. But they play in the toughest division in the country. And when you stack their talent up against UT, OU, Baylor, OSU and A&M, they are a little behind. I think it is reasonable to expect that they will go 2-8 or 3-7 against the South. And that is not a formula for a successful season.

Why are they behind OSU and A&M? OSU has the best player in Anderson, but Okorie and Muonelo are probably even and Roberson is going to be significantly better than any point guard OSU puts on the floor next year.

I would also take Singletary, Cook, Lewandowski, and Roberts over Moses and Pilgrim in the paint.

I would take Techs roster over A&M's as well.

Jaye Crockett will be one of the top players in the conference by the time he graduates...much like Ronald Ross did a few years ago.

I like where Tech's staring five is set up...however, their bench is going to need some development.

Chendog they have Lace Dunn and he will average 20+ a game, then don't forget about Udoh he will own the low post.

Chendog they have Lace Dunn and he will average 20+ a game, then don't forget about Udoh he will own the low post.

Lace Dunn will jack it up from all over to get his and then give up about 20+ a game as well. He's weak.

Didn't you guys hear?

Udoh is going league next year.

Who's Baylor got? They are weak.

I could see Tech being better than Baylor as well...

Jaye Crockett will be one of the top players in the conference by the time he graduates...much like Ronald Ross did a few years ago.

I thought he was a big steal for Tech when they got him. NMSooner is probably familiar with him, but he is extremely athletic with good skill for a power forward. Similar to Singletary in terms of a hybrid 3/4 guy, but without a doubt is much more athletic.

I like where Tech's staring five is set up...however, their bench is going to need some development.

Starting 5 is the most important thing, and the bench will be good enough with Cook in the post and Reese and Jenkins on the outside. Those two juco guys got other Big 12 and SEC offers, and if both are legit their bench should be fine.

Their starting 5 is only behind OU and Texas in the south in terms of talent and experience.

Moses and Singletary had to very different games in OSU's sweep of Tech last season. Both playing better at home.

Obi > Okorie

OSU has the best player on the court and the better coach.

Roberts didn't do jack against OSU last year. I expect Moses and Pilgrim to match up well v. Tech. They don't have a huge height advantage and Tech doesn't hit enough threes to keep up.

I could see Tech being better than Baylor as well...

I thought he was a big steal for Tech when they got him. NMSooner is probably familiar with him, but he is extremely athletic with good skill for a power forward. Similar to Singletary in terms of a hybrid 3/4 guy, but without a doubt is much more athletic.

Starting 5 is the most important thing, and the bench will be good enough with Cook in the post and Reese and Jenkins on the outside. Those two juco guys got other Big 12 and SEC offers, and if both are legit their bench should be fine.

Their starting 5 is only behind OU and Texas in the south in terms of talent and experience.

Crockett is a huge steal...he'll need some time to adjust from the weak New Mexico high school competition, but he will develop nicely. He's the type of hybrid forward which should work well in the Tech style of offense.

Moses and Singletary had to very different games in OSU's sweep of Tech last season. Both playing better at home.

Do you think Moses is capable of scoring 43 points? 29 straight points? I think the ceiling is higher for Singletary than Moses, and im not sure what Big 12 coach would take Moses of Mike.

Obi > Okorie

Okorie had multiple 20 point games in the Big 12 with an ankle injury as a first year player, and several other games in the teens... Obi averaged more rebounds because he played in the paint with Fords 4 guard offense.

They are pretty close and Obi has been playing college basketball for 3 years, while Okorie was a first year player with an ankle injury coming off the bench.

Roberts didn't do jack against OSU last year. I expect Moses and Pilgrim to match up well v. Tech. They don't have a huge height advantage and Tech doesn't hit enough threes to keep up.

You have no idea about OSU this year because of what they lost. We know Tech is returning one of the best point guards in the Big 12, and we know that OSU has nobody that can replace Eaton, who created a ton of those threes you are talking about.

I expect Moses and Pilgrim to be solid, but I would take Singletary (junior) and Lewandowski (sophomore) over them any day.

Obi > Okorie

OSU has the best player on the court and the better coach.

better coach? lol. tech should have won that game in stillwater.

better coach? lol. tech should have won that game in stillwater.

OSU was getting beat for that entire game, but Eaton went 18-20 from the foul line by himself and scored 29 points. They called a foul on Tech for breathing on Eaton every trip down in the second half.

Tech shot 20 free throws as a team, but Eaton went 20 times by himself.

That will happen EXACTLY 0 times this year. They could just clear the floor out and let Eaton make a play for someone or himself, but those days are over and they dont have anyone on their team with any kind of ability to do that.

I really think Eaton leaving's a bit overblown. No doubt none of the 3 point guards (or Page) will be near as good as him. But a lot of teams can score without a great penetrating point guard. Ford designed the offense around Eaton (for good reason).

With Eaton gone, he'll have to design it around someone else, and have a different sort of offense.

His UMASS teams averaged a whole lot of points without an Eaton. The guy knows offense, and how to curse.

As for Texas Tech. I miss Bobby Knight. Always liked playing his Tech teams.

Reasons they will suck.

1. Pat Knight
2. They don't play defense.
3. They sucked last year and have most of those players back that are used to losing.
4. Recruiting. They don't have a single 4 or 5 star recruit on the roster. Everybody else in the Big 12 South does. Thats why they were swept by OU, OSU, Texas A&M and Texas last year. And they just got further behind with OU/Tex signing MAA's like Avery/Tiny/TMG and even Baylor bringing in guys like Dennis and Jefferson, and the almighty Udoh. :)
5. They play in the South.

wait, why do I keep saying being in the South is their problem? They were 2-5 against the North last year!!

Last edited:
Back