WW tonight IMO

Edmond_Sooner

Reaction score
I'm sure i'll get blasted for this but some some observations tonight concerning WW...

I think he is in a No-Win situation with the Sooners right now....he has been rightfully critisized for his effort and play this year but tonight i saw a kid that really wanted this game bad...

I dont know that i have ever seen a game where NO ball strips in the lane were called foul...most of these were against WW and if i'm him i probably protect it better but usually you are going to get a few of those calls...

Also, am i the only one (along with my Cowboy friend that attended the game with me) that sees he dominates when the team runs an isolation for him? The Cowboys were doing an excellent job of doubling him but when they ran Isolation he converted probably 90% of those plays...

By No-Win i mean....if he plays great, he is supposed too...if he plays poorly he gets booed...in the fans defense, he created this with his attitude and it is rightfully so...but i sure do hope he uses this to get out of his funk...dude cant buy a jumper...

I was proud of his effort and happy for him and his teammates for getting this victory (reguardless of how poorly played the game was)...

BTW, how bad of a funk do you have to be in to not even be able to convert on 50% of your FT's...i'm starting to feel bad for the guy....

KUDOS TO THE CROWD!!!!!!

Are people on here really criticizing Willie for tonight? He needs to cut down on the turnovers but he was really good tonight otherwise. Awesome job keeping Page from catching the ball.

Are people on here really criticizing Willie for tonight? He needs to cut down on the turnovers but he was really good tonight otherwise. Awesome job keeping Page from catching the ball.

Most of his turnovers were on the ball strips i think, he did make some poor decisions out of double teams also tho...

I havent really read the board, but judging from the crowd tonight i figured it would be similiar on here...they were cheering when Capel took him out...

They're not too happy with how he jacked up a three towards the end of the game (regulation) when the shot clock still had a lot of ticks on it rather than milking the clock in that situation.

I'm sure i'll get blasted for this but some some observations tonight concerning WW...

I think he is in a No-Win situation with the Sooners right now....he has been rightfully critisized for his effort and play this year but tonight i saw a kid that really wanted this game bad...

I dont know that i have ever seen a game where NO ball strips in the lane were called foul...most of these were against WW and if i'm him i probably protect it better but usually you are going to get a few of those calls...

Also, am i the only one (along with my Cowboy friend that attended the game with me) that sees he dominates when the team runs an isolation for him? The Cowboys were doing an excellent job of doubling him but when they ran Isolation he converted probably 90% of those plays...

By No-Win i mean....if he plays great, he is supposed too...if he plays poorly he gets booed...in the fans defense, he created this with his attitude and it is rightfully so...but i sure do hope he uses this to get out of his funk...dude cant buy a jumper...

I was proud of his effort and happy for him and his teammates for getting this victory (reguardless of how poorly played the game was)...

BTW, how bad of a funk do you have to be in to not even be able to convert on 50% of your FT's...i'm starting to feel bad for the guy....

KUDOS TO THE CROWD!!!!!!

Willie is between a rock and a hard place. But he is not helping his situation by whining to the refs after the no calls. He needs to suck it up and just keep playing. He should NEVER put HIS team in a position where they are playing 4 on 5. Unfortunately, he does it almost every game, and usually multiple times.

I was extremely proud of his effort in the last ten minutes and in overtime. I was extremely disappointed in his effort in the first half and early in the second. We can all sympathize with his situation. He is young and he does have a lot of pressure on him. But it is not rocket science. No matter what happens (other than injury) during a game, you keep playing. Willie Warren quits playing on several plays a game, and that is simply unacceptable.

KUDOS TO THE CROWD!!!!!!

Aside from all the turnovers he made (probably lead the team in turnovers), how about the ill advise 3 with 20 seconds on the shot clock he shot almost at the end of the second half and the beginning of overtime? A leader of the team needs to make good decision instead of not valueing the ball. You lead by example. Those ill advise threes do not set good example for the team

My only gripe was him playing to the crowd at the end of the game after he had just made the nice layup instead of getting back on defense. What happens? OSU gets a wide open 3!

My only gripe was him playing to the crowd at the end of the game after he had just made the nice layup instead of getting back on defense. What happens? OSU gets a wide open 3!

that open 3 had nothing to do with WW

Just home from the game. There were times tonight (many times, actually) that WW looked like he could not possibly care less about helping this team. Loafing on defense, ridiculously careless turnovers, horrible shot selection, general lack of hustle, etc, etc. However there were other times (a few) in which he turned it on and during those brief periods of time this team looked immensely better. Simply put we are a dramatically better team when Willie is actually trying. Unfortunately those times have been few and far between.

I can understand what Coach is going through. He is desperately trying to find something, anything, that will motivate this kid to give it his all and buy in to helping this team. He is trying because he knows that this team can be so much better if Willie would just buy in. It has to be an extremely frustrating situation for all involved.

Willie wants to dominate. In his mind, he is good enough to carry this team to victory.

Sometimes, he tends to make some odd decisions, like chucking it up 6 seconds into the shot clock in situations where managing the clock is important.

He is still raw talent IMO and this team may turn out to be pretty good once they figure out what the hell they're doing out there.

Edmond is right. WW has no jump shot. I don't think anyone would be comfortable with his long range game up to this point either. He is a beast when he penetrates. Pretty much unstoppable. Guys need to continue to get better and step up so that they can build an offense around WW where he can drive and dish. Just collapse opposing defenses. We have the shooters. TMG will knock down a shot when you need him to and Pledger will get you some good looks as well.

WW can get opposing teams in foul trouble early which is something we have been pretty good at over the past few years. A lot of that was obviously because of BG, but Willie has the skill to draw fouls with his game. I just want to see him make better decisions, which is something we probably all want to see from everyone on this team.

Definitely a better feeling than the other day in Waco. Yuck. Great way to wash that nasty taste out.

Congratulations Sooners. And btw, I knew the crowd would be great tonight. I heard a few naysayers during the days leading up to tonight, but I think they should be proud. *cough* Edmond.

In late game situations, when we need a bucket, I can't think of a more clutch guy in college basketball than WW. It seems he saves his best for when the best is absolutely needed.

In late game situations, when we need a bucket, I can't think of a more clutch guy in college basketball than WW. It seems he saves his best for when the best is absolutely needed.

John Wall.

I wouldn't go that far

I think we win without willie tonight....7 turnovers should not be tollerated...He played nice D at the end of the game expect for the last layup in regulation...that just shows me that he should be playing D the whole time

Willie is between a rock and a hard place.

He put himself in that position though.

If he'd have just come out and worked hard, and played at the level that Capel, the fans, and WW all expected, he'd be beloved by many.

But that hasn't happened.

I never thought after not seeing any of this last year, that WW would have so many issues this year. I guess AJ, Taylor, and Blake really did keep the team focused last year.

I think we win without willie tonight....7 turnovers should not be tollerated...He played nice D at the end of the game expect for the last layup in regulation...that just shows me that he should be playing D the whole time

It would have been a toss up...the bucket near the end of regulation and the pass to Gallon were huge.

Last night was a weird game. I do think that WW has improved his attitude ALOT though. Was proud of how he kept attacking when things were not going his way. He did shoot it too early in the shot clock a couple of times but thats Willie. He gave a lot of effort tonight and I am proud of how we played.

What about his lack of defense on that last layup in regulation?

He slid over, made an attempt at the charge, Andersond did a good job avoiding the contact. Could Willie have been in a bit better position, probably, but the blame falls on Cade (or Capel) for being in the lane on the free throw when you know Anderson is probably going to leak out.

You basically have Anderson running full steam at the basket with a player, WW, who has zero chance to challenge the shot and Cade trailing on the play. Anderson missed the shot and neither Cade nor WW are in position to challenge the put back.

Back