Yoots' coach Boylen: "We beat ourselves...."

NMSooner'80

Reaction score
Saw that on the "Mountain" last night (the MWC's network, which carries the coaches' shows during the week). I was kind of surprised.

That said, I do think Utah will be back in the hunt in the MWC, along with UNM, UNLV and BYU. They were apparently missing two key players (Watkins and that one 6-11 kid whose name escapes me at the moment) when they had those bad early losses.

Saw that on the "Mountain" last night (the MWC's network, which carries the coaches' shows during the week). I was kind of surprised.

That said, I do think Utah will be back in the hunt in the MWC, along with UNM, UNLV and BYU. They were apparently missing two key players (Watkins and that one 6-11 kid whose name escapes me at the moment) when they had those bad early losses.

Utah is going to have to win the conference outright or win the tourney to get a bid...UNM, UNLV and BYU have already distanced themselves in the non-conference.

I find him to be a pretty poor sport about the game.

I find him to be a pretty poor sport about the game.

If I'm remembering this correctly, Boylen and Steve Alford got in each others' faces in Albuquerque during that crucial UNM-Yoot game late in the season. So I don't think he handles adversity especially well. That one cost Da Yoots the outright title when they lost in the Pit, 77-71. :ez-roll:

What a clown we laughed at his antics the entire game. I am sure glad he isn't OU's coach. Does the guy ever sit down?

I thought they gave it away by missing 3-4 straight free throws at the end which allowed Willie to hit that 3.

But hey, free throws are part of the game and you have to make them in close games.

Just face it. we out played you in OT. you didn't let it slip away from anything but your dreams.

Any game that goes to OT and is decided in the final 30 seconds of OT can be claimed to be lost. A coach can easily point to 2 or 3 plays that would have won the game.

No big deal. That's what any good coach would say. Stoops and OU football fans said it 4 times this year.

I thought they gave it away by missing 3-4 straight free throws at the end which allowed Willie to hit that 3.

But hey, free throws are part of the game and you have to make them in close games.

That's right and if we wanted to play the missed free throws game, Tony missed the front end of a one and one and then Tommy missed the back end of one in the final minute of regulation.

Considering they trailed nearly the entire second half and got a gift no-call on the final play in regulation, I'd say they were lucky to even manage a briefly held lead in OT. The game should have ended in our favor after regulation (assuming Willie would have hit at least one of his charity shots).

I'm with those who find this guy distasteful. I'd be embarrassed to have a coach who behaved like this, during the game and after.

exactly. what skyvue said.

I'd be humiliated for that worm to be my coach. Sure...say that crap when you're in the locker room or watching film pumping the kids up - but you don't say that to the press or anyone else.

This guy's a shmuck.

Which coach was it who suspended his player who took the cheap shot at Blake last year? I thought it was Boylan but maybe not.

I think that he thought they had this game in the bag since Blake and Taylor were gone . Surprise, surprise......

My take of that game was OU hurt themselves to let it go to OT. I really thought OU was simply a better team than Utah.

Back