**** you, colin kaepernick

I had quit posting here and had this been in the women's hoops forum (which was where 99 percent of my posts and my reading was), I wouldn't have responded. However, because it showed in this forum when I came to the ou hoops site, I responded. And I was finished with it until I saw this article at Vox.com.

It has some history regarding the national anthem being played at sporting events and particularly the NFL.

http://www.vox.com/2016/9/3/12774172/colin-kaepernick-national-anthem-why

I will give the guy a break....I mean, he is an oppressed millionaire who will never have to work another day in his life if he were released tomorrow.

But seriously, I dislike the term "oppression." It's a very polarizing term and I don't think it applies to a country that, while having a history of true oppression of black folks, is currently undergoing a national dialogue under which the remaining oppressive factors are under discussion and poised perhaps for elimination.

It's only natural for people like me, who have had no hand in oppression of anyone, to resent being labeled oppressors and having an entire segment of this country labeled oppressors.

One thing all this social justice movement really lacks perspective on is the fact that there is no country on earth with a better record of suppressing oppression than the U.S., although an argument can be made that there are some countries that temporarily get ahead of us on certain aspects regarding these issues. Further, the opportunities available to all (even if in lesser degree to some than others), and the progress and standard of living here that is applicable to all, is without peer in the history of mankind. Which, of course, is not to say that we can't improve.

The other component to this is that the statistics simply do not bear out many of the grievances that are presented in these movements. I could literally post a dozen statistical summaries about violent crime rates in communities of color and the trumped up, mythical fantasy that a person of color has to fear the police. Rather than rely on facts, we are subjected to isolated, anecdotal situations and then told those instances are the norm. It's patently absurd that this misinformation and distortion largely goes unchecked in all of our media.

And it is rather annoying coming from some privileged sports figure. And that is in response to whoever above tried to indicate that Kapaernick is somehow articulate or accomplished.....I mean, have you heard the guy talk?

It's also funny this happened at a point in his career where he won't be on a team soon.
It's a publicity stunt. People said he is so brave b/c he has a lot to lose. Really? He is a backup QB that was in danger of getting cut. It's not like it was tom brady out there doing this.

Back