**** you, colin kaepernick

thebigabd

Reaction score
Refusing to stand during your national anthem because of police violence.

Go **** yourself.

i second that.

Yes racism still exists. But we live in a time where we have prominent minorities all over the place. It is nothing like it was in generations past. Any racism that still exists is an individual aspect, not a societal racism

I never stand for it...........not the flag and not the national anthem. Part of the Constitution, freedom of expression and freedom of speech. It is my country and I do not like a lot of things it does but I am not leaving, because it is my country. Grew up here, family and friends here. I do continually try to improve it. AND racism is certainly a societal disorder. We have institutionalized racism in this country. Understand, SoonerBounce13, that you do not agree, but we do not have to agree.

And the racism is not the only reason that I do not stand for the flag nor the national anthem. Do not know that this country is worse than many but we hold ourselves up as the best and certainly no true. I could name so many examples.

I never stand for it...........not the flag and not the national anthem. Part of the Constitution, freedom of expression and freedom of speech. It is my country and I do not like a lot of things it does but I am not leaving, because it is my country. Grew up here, family and friends here. I do continually try to improve it. AND racism is certainly a societal disorder. We have institutionalized racism in this country. Understand, SoonerBounce13, that you do not agree, but we do not have to agree.

And the racism is not the only reason that I do not stand for the flag nor the national anthem. Do not know that this country is worse than many but we hold ourselves up as the best and certainly no true. I could name so many examples.

OF course you have the right to not stand. doesn't make it right. IF you were to not show respect for your country in a lot of countries, you could be charged with a crime or worse.

Can you give an example of institutional racism in america?

You have the right to remain in your seat when the National Anthem is played or the flag is raised. I, on the other hand, see standing in recognition of my freedom to choose as an honor. You have your reasons and I have mine. Freedom is a wonderful thing.

I think most of us realize this country is not perfect. That said, I can't think of any place on earth I would rather live. For that reason, if no other, I would love to see a short list of the "examples" you reference in your post that you would rank ahead of the U.S.? I may want to move there someday. ;)

We all tend to believe in our Freedom of Speech and Freedom of Expression except when the person exercising that freedom disagrees with us. Then we want that person to move to another country or lose their job. That sort of defeats the purpose, doesn't it?

Whatever happened to the people who said "I disagree with your point of view, but I will fight to the death for your right to express that point of view"?

Kaepernick is expressing his point of view about what he perceives to be a problem. I might not express my point of view the same way, but I have no problem defending his right to express his opinion.

I like how he is getting more publicity than the actual police violence.

We all tend to believe in our Freedom of Speech and Freedom of Expression except when the person exercising that freedom disagrees with us. Then we want that person to move to another country or lose their job. That sort of defeats the purpose, doesn't it?

Whatever happened to the people who said "I disagree with your point of view, but I will fight to the death for your right to express that point of view"?

Kaepernick is expressing his point of view about what he perceives to be a problem. I might not express my point of view the same way, but I have no problem defending his right to express his opinion.

i literally haven't heard one person say that he doesn't have the right to do what he did. People make it a point to start their arguments stating that he has the right.

Did anyone else watch Sooner Sports Huddle this week? Ty Darlington and Ryan Broyles are going to be on each week. Ty Darlington gave a very eloquent and respectful commentary on the Kaepernick issue. If everyone could respond to this type of issue with the same eloquence and respectfulness, we would all be better off.

now the guy wears socks depicting cops as pigs.

This guy is nothing but a clown that knows he is going to get cut anyway so he is attention seeking

You have the right to remain in your seat when the National Anthem is played or the flag is raised. I, on the other hand, see standing in recognition of my freedom to choose as an honor. You have your reasons and I have mine. Freedom is a wonderful thing.

I think most of us realize this country is not perfect. That said, I can't think of any place on earth I would rather live. For that reason, if no other, I would love to see a short list of the "examples" you reference in your post that you would rank ahead of the U.S.? I may want to move there someday. ;)

I did not mean I could name several countries that are better than ours, though that is what it seems I wrote. I meant many countries are better than the U.S. in several areas whether there are those that are better overall, I would guess so. But, as I have said, this is my country and I want to take responsibility for our crimes against other nations, our crimes against our own people, especially POC and Native Americans, and I just want to work to make it better. Plus, it is my home. So though I probably consider other places better to live, I would not move. We rank 17th in education, in healthcare we are 37th, in gun violence: Compared to 22 other high-income nations, the United States' gun-related murder rate is 25 times higher. And, even though the United States' suicide rate is similar to other countries, the nation's gun-related suicide rate is eight times higher than other high-income countries, researchers said. Among the member countries Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development, we rank 27 in infant mortality. These are just a few statistics regarding what I think are important for the QUALITY of a country....to call it the best. If you are interested, then you can google and gather these facts for yourself and decide if you want to move somewhere else.

OF course you have the right to not stand. doesn't make it right. IF you were to not show respect for your country in a lot of countries, you could be charged with a crime or worse.

right to whom? in what way is it not right?

As far as institutionalized racism, if you were interested in the issue rather than speaking without researching, you would know. You are racist, either through ignorance or lack of caring, I am not going to fix that. Only you can do that. If you are just ignorant of the facts, just google. There are so many graphs and statistics that show the different ways in which the U.S. has institutionalized racism.

The following comment by you makes it clear you do not know what is and has been going on in this country and which did not stop in the 70's, 80's, etc. Having "prominent minorities all over the place" does not exclude institutionalized racism or societal racism. Matter of fact, since Obama was elected the some of the more overt racism which had gone underground has come back with a flourish. It is disgusting, sad and evil and makes our country less in all ways.

"Yes racism still exists. But we live in a time where we have prominent minorities all over the place. It is nothing like it was in generations past. Any racism that still exists is an individual aspect, not a societal racism."

This guy is nothing but a clown that knows he is going to get cut anyway so he is attention seeking

I disagree that he is a clown. He is very well spoken. I do not care for the police as pigs socks, but then I haven't been pulled over 15 times for driving while black, walking while black, breathing while black. I do not know any 14 yo white girls who have been slammed to the ground by police in the classroom or the school ground or at a pool party; just to name a few. I don't know any
old white man who was in his lawn threatening people with his weedeater that was shot dead by the police when they came. And I could go on and on, but I think you get the drift.

I think he knew he was taking a bigger risk of not making the team by his actions. If he was on the edge, which he knew he was, this only adds to a reason to let him go. The NFL does not want the controversy.

i literally haven't heard one person say that he doesn't have the right to do what he did. People make it a point to start their arguments stating that he has the right.

Actually, that is not true. First two posts said nothing about his rights. You addressed if after I did. And then it was addressed after that.

The point is, had I not addressed and MsProudSooner not addressed it,
I have a feeling there would have been a good chance someone would have said well he can go live in another country. Similar to your post to me about what would happen to people in some other countries if they did not stand for their national anthem, WHICH is of course irrelevant. ESPECIALLY when you consider the number of first world countries in which NOTHING would happen to them....no legal action.

Re: Ty Darlington on this topic

https://tydarlington.wordpress.com/

If you go scroll down past the 7th game referenced which is Maryland @ Nebraska, Ty starts his position on Colin.

I agree with part of what Ty says but not with what he says about
Colin disrespecting service people or about his general statement that
Colin's choice for setting forth his views by not standing is inappropriate.
(paraphrasing) I have heard many service people say that that is exactly
why they fight, for the Constitution, for people's right to protest by doing exactly what Colin is doing. Plus, this is not about the women and men who have and are serving, it is about our country and many of us feel it is getting worse. Part, I believe is 24 hour cable news and talk radio and the tenor of those shows. Even if it is a sports show, whether cable, radio, or network tv
it is often divisive and hateful. We are talking about sports and people who play and these pundits, newspeople, sportspeople are just not professional.
Some of the things I have heard sound like boys in high school.

Add that to the fact that there are people who do not care for the Constitutution except when they believe it supports something they want.
So we have pundits and politicians who are pushing us to be angry and divisiv and this increased with the election of our first black president. I see people
at OU HOOP talking about high school kids and putting them down for hogging the ball or not working hard enough or whatever........AND WE KNOW what is said about college and professional players and coaches. My gosh, first for the high school and college kids..........DO YOU REMEMBER what it is like to be their age? Heck, at least daily, I regret one if not more things that I do. It is like reality tv. Enjoying sports and players and talking about it and then making a SPORT of just being negative about some teams, some players, whatever...ARE YOU LIVING YOUR LIFE ANY BETTER? You just aren't in the spotlight. AND have you had the pressure they have had? And many did not have good childhoods (because of that institutionalized racism) and go to college and then the pros. AS much money and as much as universities want great athletic programs (OU as much as anyone), we owe it to these athlete to have a few special classes which fit their needs........ONE would be handling money and not partying it away, but a psychology type class to help them succeed in life as a person. I know many are big on God but many of those are the same ones who rape, get in fights, abuse women, have children all over the country. I have no problem with them having sex, but no one can be a present, good father to children of 6 different mothers. WEAR A CONDOM, even if the woman says she is on birth control, it isn't 100% FOR the sake of her and you and a possible pregnancy. BUT these young men never get that chance to learn what it is to be a man and it is sad. Same is true of female athletes, it is just most don't make the money and have the fame to make as many or as large of mistakes.

PLUS, add the doping of all types. Many of our athletes are disposable commodities.

OKAY, because I just happened to run across this article, but it is JUST ONE example........many more.

http://www.vox.com/2016/9/2/12774066/voter-id-laws-racist

Longtime Republican consultant: if black people voted Republican, voter ID laws wouldn't happen

Simply, he has the right to protest. When he no longer has that right, I won't stand for the national anthem either.

I don't know that I approve of playing the national anthem at sporting events. Have we always done this? We didn't do it when I was in high school, except at football games. I don't remember ever doing this at a baseball game.

We got caught into some challenges to patriotism during the McCarthyism era of the early fifties. That's when we inserted, "under God," into the pledge. When I worked for the University of Oklahoma in the sixties, we had to sign a Loyalty Oath. It was actually a little thing that looked like a diploma or certificate that said you were a loyal American, and you had to sign it to get a job. I guess that it never occurred to them that any communist spy would be more than happy to sign a loyalty oath.

We even had to sign one when I was in the Army. Our attitude was, "get serious." We have been drafted. We are going through this miserable ordeal of basic training. But, you think we are not loyal? It never occurred to any of us that we might get out of the Army if we didn't sign one. Of course, they might have thrown us in the stockade.

I don't like how we have made certain things a challenge to our patriotism. I've seen a whole lot of draft dodgers who challenged those of us who actually served. Really? I tend to think, "what is wrong with you if you suspect everyone of not being loyal?" I figure that I've earned the right to sit, stand, or walk away when the national anthem is played, and I don't want some twerp who didn't serve telling me what patriotism is.

Back