What would convince you we’re trending forward this offseason?

cbertus6

Reaction score
Now that the season is officially over, it’s time for offseason talk. There will be lots of excitement with the tourney and portal talk over the next few weeks, but I’m curious what the fanbase would see as a successful offseason before it really kicks off.

Like the title states, what things could we do before next season that would give you a better feeling ahead of next season (sans letting Moser go because it won’t happen).

1. Find a legit 5 (maybe even 2)

This team is a legit center away from being extremely tough on D. We run teams off the 3 point line and defend the 3 better than almost anyone else in the country. Need a rim protector to take advantage of that strength. The 5 spot needs to get figured out quickly and there are still a lot of questions around whether Sam or JH will be here next season.

2. Trim the fat

There were way too many guys that did not need to be playing for OU still here this season. Why was Yaya still on the roster? I’m not all the way there yet, but I think Oweh has slipped into this category for me as well

3. Upgrade our shooting

Whether this comes by addition or subtraction, we need to get WAY better here. Moser’s offense would look so much better if we had wings who could consistently knock down shots. That’s why the O seemed to get a bit better at the end of the year when Soares took Oweh’s spot in the lineup and Dart got hot. The spacing is so important.

4. Find reliable ballhandlers

McCollum was really helpful at times as a scorer and at the FT line, but he was really reckless with the ball. Uzan was better from a ball handling standpoint but left a lot to be desired this season and is rumored to be gone. When McCollum was out we had no one else to run the O. We need guys that are responsible with the ball and we need more than 2 of them.

5. Hold on to Moore

Jalon thrived this year and I would absolutely love to see him come back. Losing him would probably be the only tough loss, although an argument could be made for McCollum here and I’d hear people out if they wanted to say Uzan as well.

Let me know your thoughts!

I don't expect to, but I'd like to keep our guards along with Moore. Uzan and Oweh improved from year one to year two, so I'd like to think there would be improvement from two to three, plus having the continuity would help I think. A legit big man would be nice for sure. Honestly though, unless Buddy Hield and Trae Young walk through the door, any offseason move won't move me a lot until I see a squad that is actually competitive in conference, and makes the tournament.

Literally nothing. Nothing can be done in the offseason. He'll have to prove it on the court next year.

I don't expect to, but I'd like to keep our guards along with Moore. Uzan and Oweh improved from year one to year two, so I'd like to think there would be improvement from two to three, plus having the continuity would help I think. A legit big man would be nice for sure. Honestly though, unless Buddy Hield and Trae Young walk through the door, any offseason move won't move me a lot until I see a squad that is actually competitive in conference, and makes the tournament.
Oweh needs to go imo. Hes too raw. He cant be a starter at ou. Hes not skilled enough

Literally nothing. Nothing can be done in the offseason. He'll have to prove it on the court next year.
Yeah nothing that man says or does between now and the Battle 4 Atlantis will mean a thing to me. He spoke all offseason about how much he improved the roster and how that would lead to a drastic change in how they played. Once the real games started, he was back to his usual style.

There will be a mass exodus. We will be completely rebuilding. Moser is a failure at OU and this one offseason isn’t going to change that. All we’re doing is kicking the can down the road. He will be fired after next season.

Oweh needs to go imo. Hes too raw. He cant be a starter at ou. Hes not skilled enough
I wouldn't lose sleep if he did, but I thought he showed some quality stuff earlier on in the year, and some flashes in conference. To your point though, I was honestly shocked how bad he looked at times once big 12 play rolled around. Unplayable at times.

Yeah nothing that man says or does between now and the Battle 4 Atlantis will mean a thing to me. He spoke all offseason about how much he improved the roster and how that would lead to a drastic change in how they played. Once the real games started, he was back to his usual style.
We were supposed to be more up tempo. When we did that, we were a better team. However, he slowed it down and plodded along instead of pushing the pace. So, he lied.

There’s probably nothing that can prove it to me entirely. But if it appears we are able to get better portal guys (I.e., more NIL) that would be a start.

We were supposed to be more up tempo. When we did that, we were a better team. However, he slowed it down and plodded along instead of pushing the pace. So, he lied.

We were terrible at getting turnovers (although not quite as bad as last year). Moser’s teams historically have been pretty good at it, actually (including year one with Goldwire and Harkless as plus defenders). I think he did play with more tempo than he has in the past when we got steals and some other opportunities. But without getting turnovers, it’s hard to push the pace. That’s not a defense of the coach—he put the team together—but it is reality.

There’s probably nothing that can prove it to me entirely. But if it appears we are able to get better portal guys (I.e., more NIL) that would be a start.

We were terrible at getting turnovers (although not quite as bad as last year). Moser’s teams historically have been pretty good at it, actually (including year one with Goldwire and Harkless as plus defenders). I think he did play with more tempo than he has in the past when we got steals and some other opportunities. But without getting turnovers, it’s hard to push the pace. That’s not a defense of the coach—he put the team together—but it is reality.
We didn’t create turnovers because we didn’t try to create them. Never pressured the ball. Never ran any sort of full court or even 3/4 court pressure. With athletes like Moore and Soares and Oweh, we had a roster built to do that.

Starting 5 is a must.. rim protector.. Don't care if he can score. Get a 6'10 athlete that defends. Hugley back him up and brings some scoring.
Moore/McCollum are must.
I'd say Uzan and Cooper/Cole plus the HS kids coming in would put us in a very nice spot.

We didn’t create turnovers because we didn’t try to create them. Never pressured the ball. Never ran any sort of full court or even 3/4 court pressure. With athletes like Moore and Soares and Oweh, we had a roster built to do that.
I don’t think you have to do a full court press to get turnovers. As I noted before, Moser’s teams had been quite good at it until the last two seasons and he’s no Nolan Richardson in terms of defensive philosophy. But, it’s possible his defensive scheme has been dissected more in the big 12 and overcome by greater athleticism from the opponents. Combined with fewer plus defenders at guard compared to our first season, it didn’t go well in terms of turnover creation.

Starting 5 is a must.. rim protector.. Don't care if he can score. Get a 6'10 athlete that defends. Hugley back him up and brings some scoring.
Moore/McCollum are must.
I'd say Uzan and Cooper/Cole plus the HS kids coming in would put us in a very nice spot.
I expect absolutely nothing from Forsythe. Could see him redshirting, playing a few minutes as a sophomore, then leaving, depending on who is coaching us by then. And guys like JM will struggle even more in the SEC, which has more elite athletes than the Big 12. I have no idea if Cole will be a player. History suggests it will take a while to find out.

I expect absolutely nothing from Forsythe. Could see him redshirting, playing a few minutes as a sophomore, then leaving, depending on who is coaching us by then. And guys like JM will struggle even more in the SEC, which has more elite athletes than the Big 12. I have no idea if Cole will be a player. History suggests it will take a while to find out.
I have no clue on Forsythe. I would like to hope he could learn year 1 from JM or Uzan and get 6-10 min a game. Don't need him to be a star soon. I would disagree with you on JM struggling more in the SEC. Big 12 is the better conference, both I would say similar athletically. Doubtful that the SEC is more physical than the Big 12..

I have no clue on Forsythe. I would like to hope he could learn year 1 from JM or Uzan and get 6-10 min a game. Don't need him to be a star soon. I would disagree with you on JM struggling more in the SEC. Big 12 is the better conference, both I would say similar athletically. Doubtful that the SEC is more physical than the Big 12..
The SEC is more athletic. Not better/more skilled, but more athletic, and that's where JM struggles. I read an interesting deal in the Athletic where they pointed out that when you look at the Big 12 all conference teams this year, there are fewer guys who are likely to be NBA players than you'd expect. The SEC is loaded with those kind of guys.

The SEC is more athletic. Not better/more skilled, but more athletic, and that's where JM struggles. I read an interesting deal in the Athletic where they pointed out that when you look at the Big 12 all conference teams this year, there are fewer guys who are likely to be NBA players than you'd expect. The SEC is loaded with those kind of guys.
Interesting for sure.

That is certainly an interesting dynamic. I'm honestly not sure how that will impact OU basketball.

Kind of like football. I know we aren't ready to be Bama/UGA, but do we have the horses to be right below that? Will a tougher schedule force our guys to play better football more consistently, instead of playing down to our opponents? I have no idea.

Back