What would convince you we’re trending forward this offseason?

I am with Wichita. We played them last year in Area. And we saw them again this year. I asked two people that I trust in their judgements if they see him as a high D1 player. Both said, Nope. But just like Wichita, I hope we eat all of those words. It is crazy that a kid like him can go to a place such as Creighton and play weaker competition week in and week out and be a stud. Then have great success in the NCAA's. But they can't play in a power 5 conference. What causes this?

It is crazy that a kid like him can go to a place such as Creighton and play weaker competition week in and week out and be a stud. Then have great success in the NCAA's. But they can't play in a power 5 conference. What causes this?

kinda OT:

I don't know the answer to this but you could say the same thing about his coach, Greg McDermott, at Creighton. He didn't do much at Iowa State and got fired. I remember network announcers talking about how he was a top flight X and O guy but he couldn't win at ISU. Yet, he has been fantastic in Omaha. Built an excellent program. Kinda like Gregg Marshall at Wich State, but without being a massive jerk. Mid plains, mid-major powerhouse.

back to topic: all I know is a lot easier to go down than up. and season by season we are not going up. after looking pretty good for a while, a minor uptick (in the end) from last season. treading water is the same as going down.

I don't think we would have beaten anyone in the NCAA regardless of seed had we made it and instead of a limited but interesting rotation in the post with Soares, Hugley and Godwin we have a matchup disaster once H and S are hurt. Good teams were 10-15 points better than us, on the road home teams (minus OSU) were 10 points better. That's who we've been for a while.

I am with Wichita. We played them last year in Area. And we saw them again this year. I asked two people that I trust in their judgements if they see him as a high D1 player. Both said, Nope. But just like Wichita, I hope we eat all of those words. It is crazy that a kid like him can go to a place such as Creighton and play weaker competition week in and week out and be a stud. Then have great success in the NCAA's. But they can't play in a power 5 conference. What causes this?
Creighton in the Big East is NOT playing weaker competition ... that is the second best conf in the nation over the last 6 years

So far, we are clearly not trending in the right direction. It all depends on who we get in the portal and that’s looking…less than ideal… so far.

Creighton in the Big East is NOT playing weaker competition ... that is the second best conf in the nation over the last 6 years
Youre right. They might not be a great example. But maybe they were. Not sure how to put it in words but I think those that understand what I am saying might agree. Let's say Indiana State then. They looked phenomenal the other night. How many of those kids would survive elsewhere? There is an unknown dynamic and we are looking for our identity. We can't find it. I said early that Moser found lightning in a bottle with his group. I still think he did but something happened along the way. I don't know if it was the grind or if coach can't coach. I don't know if Hughley was hurt or if he said I want out and I'm done. My only point about Forsythe is I don't know how he fits in and I guess no one does yet. I can't see him as a starter. Don't know if he's a Page or more like Rotnei Clark. There is a place for guys like that tho. I can't imagine having to do this over again as a coach. Unbelievable.

I want Quannas as lead assistant. Use it as a trial run for replacing Moser next year.

I would rather have 1982 Billy Tubbs as lead assistant to replace Moser, since we are wishing.

My honest, non-snarky answer to this question? Nothing really. I don’t think there is anything they can do between now and November to make me feel “good” about the program. It’s a year to year deal now in the portal and considering the results of first three years, we do not have benefit of doubt heading into year four.

I WILL, however, start next season with an open mind or at least give Moser a chance to surprise me or prove me wrong. We will have 5 or 6 new guys next season out of necessity. No clue if I’ll be excited or meh about those 5 or 6 guys, but either way it won’t matter until we see results one way or the other anyway.

We have reached the “results only” portion of the Moser era. There is no way for us to be trending in the right direction next while simultaneously missing the tournament or living in that 19-13 type of record range again. They have to do better. They have to make the tourney at a bare minimum and I think it’s reasonable in year four to want to make it comfortably.

My honest, non-snarky answer to this question? Nothing really. I don’t think there is anything they can do between now and November to make me feel “good” about the program. It’s a year to year deal now in the portal and considering the results of first three years, we do not have benefit of doubt heading into year four.

I WILL, however, start next season with an open mind or at least give Moser a chance to surprise me or prove me wrong. We will have 5 or 6 new guys next season out of necessity. No clue if I’ll be excited or meh about those 5 or 6 guys, but either way it won’t matter until we see results one way or the other anyway.

We have reached the “results only” portion of the Moser era. There is no way for us to be trending in the right direction next while simultaneously missing the tournament or living in that 19-13 type of record range again. They have to do better. They have to make the tourney at a bare minimum and I think it’s reasonable in year four to want to make it comfortably.
I'll go as far as saying we can't be a bubble team next year. That's not showing progress. I'm not sure he'll be fired either way, but I won't be satisfied with a bubble team next year.

Honestly, if we squeeze into the NCAAs next year (not bubble but 8-9) I will think we were about as good as this year but with luck. Pick up a great big man, a 3pt shooter and a good pg and an 8 seed should be disappointing, except I will be elated just to be there if it happens lol. That’s where we are at, which I guess the positive is the last time we were here was 1980-82. So hey, we could get to relive 1983-1990 now lol.

I think I am trying to be objective but how can anyone feel like we should have a good team next year? I am not sure there is a team in America that can feel like they are much lower than where we sit at this point in time.

I think I am trying to be objective but how can anyone feel like we should have a good team next year? I am not sure there is a team in America that can feel like they are much lower than where we sit at this point in time.
lol arkansas currently has 0 players ..

And yet if they played us today, I'm really not sure that we'd win.

Says a lot, huh?
I'm by no means saying Moser is a better head coach or has had a better coaching career than Calipari (that would be insane).....BUT since Fall of 2019 (last 5 years), these are the numbers by both:

Moser: 101-61 with 1 NCAA tournament appearance (sweet 16 in 20-21 with Loyola)- between Loyola Chi and OU- One losing season going 15-19 at OU
Calipari: 105-52 with 3 NCAA tournament appearances (Round of 64, Round of 32 and Round of 64)- All at Kentucky- One losing season going 9-16 at Kentucky

What about those numbers says Moser has no chance against a Calipari coached team? If anything, based on post season results, it seems like Moser is exactly the type of coach (as a lot around here feel Moser is a Mid-Major type coach) that Calipari apparently struggles against.

This is not an attacking post, I'm genuinely curious as to why Calipari at this point in his career, scares people into thinking his teams will go 2-0 with no problem (if they play twice) against OU?

I'm by no means saying Moser is a better head coach or has had a better coaching career than Calipari (that would be insane).....BUT since Fall of 2019 (last 5 years), these are the numbers by both:

Moser: 101-61 with 1 NCAA tournament appearance (sweet 16 in 20-21 with Loyola)- between Loyola Chi and OU- One losing season going 15-19 at OU
Calipari: 105-52 with 3 NCAA tournament appearances (Round of 64, Round of 32 and Round of 64)- All at Kentucky- One losing season going 9-16 at Kentucky

What about those numbers says Moser has no chance against a Calipari coached team? If anything, based on post season results, it seems like Moser is exactly the type of coach (as a lot around here feel Moser is a Mid-Major type coach) that Calipari apparently struggles against.

This is not an attacking post, I'm genuinely curious as to why Calipari at this point in his career, scares people into thinking his teams will go 2-0 with no problem (if they play twice) against OU?

That particular comment from you was a joke but I'm pretty sure it was you (apologies if wrong) that you were worried about OU playing Arkansas twice after it was announced that Calipari was going to be the new head coach at Arkansas?

I think I am trying to be objective but how can anyone feel like we should have a good team next year?

I have no idea what to expect, as I have no idea who will be on our team. The only reason for optimism is that last year was Porter's best year in the portal. Unfortunately he's now going to have to be even better. A legitimate 5 is about the only thing that can suck me back in.

That particular comment from you was a joke but I'm pretty sure it was you (apologies if wrong) that you were worried about OU playing Arkansas twice after it was announced that Calipari was going to be the new head coach at Arkansas?
If you don’t think Ark just got a lot better with this coaching upgrade, I don’t know what to tell you.

Back