What would convince you we’re trending forward this offseason?

If you don’t think Ark just got a lot better with this coaching upgrade, I don’t know what to tell you.
A lot better? We can agree to disagree. Musselman went 111-59 in 5 seasons and went to back to back elite 8’s followed by a sweet 16. Not many have done that in 3 straight years. He clearly had misses on this years team but otherwise he has been pretty dang good at Arkansas and Nevada before that.

A lot better? We can agree to disagree. Musselman went 111-59 in 5 seasons and went to back to back elite 8’s followed by a sweet 16. Not many have done that in 3 straight years. He clearly had misses on this years team but otherwise he has been pretty dang good at Arkansas and Nevada before that.

Yeah I’d take musselman results over cal but not musselman antics. Guy is an absolute chode. He is a better bench coach than cal though

Yeah I’d take musselman results over cal but not musselman antics. Guy is an absolute chode. He is a better bench coach than cal though
Oh absolutely. Folks on here think Moser is bad on the sidelines but I don't feel like he's anywhere near what Muss or Danny Hurley are like :ROFLMAO:

umm I don't think they did ..
I think you could use the same argument for Cal being good at Arky as many did for why OU would be better after Riley. The wake up call re-energized the sleeping giant. Cal is going to be super motivated to succeed there, he's going to continue bringing in future pro after future pro, and they are going to out talent most teams they play. I know everyone expects the Cal that has been coasting the past 5 years to walk through that door in Fayetteville, but I'm not so sure that's going to be the case.

UK finished in front of Ark in Ken Pom 3 of the 5 years Musselman was at Ark.

UK finished in front of Ark in the SEC standings 4 of the 5 years Musselman was at Ark.

Recruiting won't be the issue for Calipari. He is a known quantity. Has been in the SEC. Will have the NIL he needs. And Ark is a good basketball program. The only question is how much effort he puts into things. I'm guessing he and the program are rejuvenated. But their ceiling is absolutely higher under Calipari.

UK finished in front of Ark in the SEC standings 4 of the 5 years Musselman was at Ark.

Recruiting won't be the issue for Calipari. He is a known quantity. Has been in the SEC. Will have the NIL he needs. And Ark is a good basketball program. The only question is how much effort he puts into things. I'm guessing he and the program are rejuvenated. But their ceiling is absolutely higher under Calipari.

Now compare Sweet 16 appearances over the past 5 years.

Musselman has definitely been better in the tourney the past few years, but his ceiling has been the Elite Eight. Calipari has been to the Final Four 5 different times (1 at UMass, 1 at Memphis, and 3 at Kentucky) making it to the natty twice and winning it once. Yes, those times are a bit removed now, but he's shown that as his ceiling while Musselman has not to this point. He's also outperformed Musselman during the regular season 4 of the past 5 years in the same conference as WT pointed out above. One might argue that there's been a bit of bad luck for Cal in the tourney in recent years.

Musselman has definitely been better in the tourney the past few years, but his ceiling has been the Elite Eight. Calipari has been to the Final Four 5 different times (1 at UMass, 1 at Memphis, and 3 at Kentucky) making it to the natty twice and winning it once. Yes, those times are a bit removed now, but he's shown that as his ceiling while Musselman has not to this point. He's also outperformed Musselman during the regular season 4 of the past 5 years in the same conference as WT pointed out above. One might argue that there's been a bit of bad luck for Cal in the tourney in recent years.

I agree the gap is not as wide as the tournament success would suggest, but UK has definitely taken a step back in recent years. It used to be a major surprise when UK didn't win the SEC, which isn't the case anymore, even if they do still finish near the top. Muss has definitely had some tourney luck, but he also created some of that luck. He also had a Sweet 16 run at Nevada. Maybe Cal just needs a reset, and I certainly don't think he's washed, but I can't help but notice when dominant pre-NIL coaches take a step back in the new era.

If forced to pick, it would be hard to go against Cal's decades of success, but I think rational people could pick Musselman at this point. I certainly wouldn't bet on there being a massive gap if USC is willing to invest in basketball the way Arkansas was.

Calipari will likely have them doing very well if he is excited about the possibilities. Seemed like he got bored at Kentucky and complacent. Re programs, I think USC has a far lower ceiling than Arky in bball support .. although the infusion of program cash and Big10 media presence will help them.

That isn't how I measure success.

I'd rather have the team that performs well during the season. In the long run, that team is going to do better in the Dance, even if it isn't true over a 3-4 year stretch.

So are you calling for a 30 win season and a Final 4 and/or championship for Arkansas while Calipari is there? Musselman‘s best year they won 28 games and went to an elite eight so in order to be a lot better or have a higher ceiling, Calipari would have to win 30 games and go at least to the final four correct? Again, it’s not like muss was average at Arkansas.

So are you calling for a 30 win season and a Final 4 and/or championship for Arkansas while Calipari is there? Musselman‘s best year they won 28 games and went to an elite eight so in order to be a lot better or have a higher ceiling, Calipari would have to win 30 games and go at least to the final four correct? Again, it’s not like muss was average at Arkansas.
lol, what?

This conversation started with me suggesting this would make Arkansas a tougher SEC mens basketball opponent for OU.

Arkansas was 47-42 in the SEC in Musselman's 5 seasons. 3 of his 5 seasons they had an SEC record of at least 2 games under .500.

THAT is where I think Calipari will be better. They aren't going to be just 5 games over .500 after 5 seasons of SEC play. They aren't going to have 3 seasons of at least 2 games under .500. Those things aren't going to happen to that degree.

I'm calling for a much more consistent, stable program under Calipari.

Last edited:
lol, what?

This conversation started with me suggesting this would make Arkansas a tougher SEC mens basketball opponent for OU.

Arkansas was 47-42 in the SEC in Musselman's 5 seasons. 3 of his 5 seasons they had an SEC record of at least 2 games under .500.

THAT is where I think Calipari will be better. They aren't going to be just 5 games over .500 after 5 seasons of SEC play. They aren't going to have 3 seasons of at least 2 games under .500. Those things aren't going to happen to that degree.

I'm calling for a much more consistent, stable program under Calipari.
I feel like ceiling and stable program are two different things. They could win 25 games a year, finish near the top half of the conference every year and still lose in the NCAA tourney in the first or 2nd round every year and be considered more stable but with less of a ceiling than what Muss had.

In the last 5 years Muss took Arkansas to 2 elite 8's and a sweet 16. If Kentucky had those results the last 5 years, Calipari would most likely still be the head coach of Kentucky. Kentucky wasn't looking for stable, for the most part that's what they were with Calipari. They were/are looking for championships and in their mind, Calipari is past that point in his career.

Guess we'll find out soon if that's true or not.

Oh absolutely. Folks on here think Moser is bad on the sidelines but I don't feel like he's anywhere near what Muss or Danny Hurley are like :ROFLMAO:
lol true....but man...if moser keeps "yelling into his hand"...that seems so...weird. :ROFLMAO:

Back