What would convince you we’re trending forward this offseason?

I will agree with nothing. Yes, he has to find good players but I am not convinced they will be good enough to succeed in this offense and player development. Every time I get optimistic I get pushed back down into a hole. I will believe it when I see it in conference play.

I think finding a *good* legit 5, i.e., a Garrison .. is enough for me .. as long as we get enough surrounding pieces coming back or portal'ing in. Buy ourselves one of the best pg's in the portal in addition and it will be an exciting year. Of course, the exact same team with the same OOC would lead to a few more wins in this year's SEC and a tourney bid .. we'd likely be calling it a great season lol.

I think finding a *good* legit 5, i.e., a Garrison .. is enough for me .. as long as we get enough surrounding pieces coming back or portal'ing in. Buy ourselves one of the best pg's in the portal in addition and it will be an exciting year. Of course, the exact same team with the same OOC would lead to a few more wins in this year's SEC and a tourney bid .. we'd likely be calling it a great season lol.
What gives you confidence that Moser can coach a legit 5 man with the surrounding pieces? I’m not being an ass but I’m just asking where does the confidence come from that he can even develop the players needed?

Continue getting better athletes like he did this year. Last few years teams were generally just slow and unathletic. This years team was athletic enough just needed a bit more consistency from guards scoring.

What gives you confidence that Moser can coach a legit 5 man with the surrounding pieces? I’m not being an ass but I’m just asking where does the confidence come from that he can even develop the players needed?
Legit question that I don't have an answer to really. That wasn't the question though :) .. maybe can point at Godwin as evidence, but then again he is basically what he was last year. I'm also not sure he developed Krutwig as much as didn't regress him .. his PER numbers were roughly the same across his years at Loyola (~27.X). So the best I can say right now is that if we get a good or great center, he will stay that way.

... found a better stats breaking those down .. had not noticed that was career PER. Krutwig went from 23.2-> 31.4 .. so if Moser was coaching him, he definitely improved .. and Godwin got worse going from 24 -> 23 at Wofford to 22.6 --> 20.4 at Oklahoma lol.

Last edited:
I have slightly more faith bc we haven't had a starting center worthy of P5 school yet under Moser. Godwin is G5 starter, same with Groves. Our inside presence for 3 years has been abysmal.

Godwin off the bench and a true starting 5 rim protector in front of him? Works for me. Garrison would be the best 5 we have had in 10 years, hands down. (McNeace maybe?)

Not necessarily addressing development of one

And a guy like Garrison has no range. How does Moser account for that on offense? Would be interesting. I know Godwin doesn't either, but Hugely did. Northweather did.

And a guy like Garrison has no range. How does Moser account for that on offense? Would be interesting. I know Godwin doesn't either, but Hugely did. Northweather did.
And Godwin was our best center by far. As crazy as that is.

Even so, Hugley IV was not used properly at all. Which is extremely disappointing. Either we didn't scheme for him correctly (coaching) or he just didn't figure out the screens and spacing style of offense. (coaching/scheme/player development) he was always a back to basket player, so it was a weird portal signing.

If Garrison can dunk on a PnR and finish, he will be fine. (I need to watch more of him play)

I think the biggest thing for Garrison would be how monstrous it could make our defense. If he was just an average offensive player and a legit rim protector he would make this team so much better. Grab some shooters to go around him and that’s a huge positive IMO

I expect absolutely nothing from Forsythe. Could see him redshirting, playing a few minutes as a sophomore, then leaving, depending on who is coaching us by then. And guys like JM will struggle even more in the SEC, which has more elite athletes than the Big 12. I have no idea if Cole will be a player. History suggests it will take a while to find out.
I am pretty sure I have seen you post this a few times and you seem super convinced of this. What is it about his play that discourages you, or is it our track record with recent recruited guards?

Garrison is a better rim runner and vertical threat in the pick n roll. He also flashed a pick n' pop game too at OSU.

I am pretty sure I have seen you post this a few times and you seem super convinced of this. What is it about his play that discourages you, or is it our track record with recent recruited guards?
Last I checked, he didn’t even have a national recruiting ranking, and I don’t think he had many other P5 offers. Rankings aren’t perfect, but that usually tells you something. He reminds me a bit of the guard version of Northweather. But yes, to your point, if Moser can’t develop Oweh and Los, and if a guy as talented as Cooper can’t get on the floor, it just seems unlikely he can turn a short, 3-star kid with no national profile into a guy who will be a real dude in the SEC. That seems like returning to the kind of player we had on the roster the first two seasons, rather than the more athletic roster we are allegedly trying to build.

I would love to be wrong. I hope he makes me eat my words like Waldo and Moore (not athletically, but as far as being a very good player). I don’t know the kid at all, so I’ve got absolutely nothing against him personally. This is purely a basketball take.

Last I checked, he didn’t even have a national recruiting ranking, and I don’t think he had many other P5 offers. Rankings aren’t perfect, but that usually tells you something. He reminds me a bit of the guard version of Northweather. But yes, to your point, if Moser can’t develop Oweh and Los, and if a guy as talented as Cooper can’t get on the floor, it just seems unlikely he can turn a short, 3-star kid with no national profile into a guy who will be a real dude in the SEC. That seems like returning to the kind of player we had on the roster the first two seasons, rather than the more athletic roster we are allegedly trying to build.

I would love to be wrong. I hope he makes me eat my words like Waldo and Moore (not athletically, but as far as being a very good player). I don’t know the kid at all, so I’ve got absolutely nothing against him personally. This is purely a basketball take.

I see where you are coming from. From watching him, he is more athletic than Phipps was and finishes better at the rim. Similar ratings. When facing better talent, he has usually risen to the occasion. He seems like a better all around player. How much does playing at Dale work against him in rankings? I feel he is better than he is rated. How well will he translate defensively is my question.

If our NIL can come through and get enough talent and depth to field a really good team…maybe Moser can make some noise. Unfortunately, I think we’d have to have a lot of talent to overcome Mosers shortcomings.

I’m not optimistic about next season at all. I’m afraid it will be the same as the last 3 years and he will be fired and we’ll be starting over again.

I wouldn’t say forsythe is short. He’s 6-2 and has a good build. He’s not a little guy. Physically, he should have no problems competing right away. He can shoot and score. My hesitation would be the level of competition he competes against. Unfortunately, I agree with you about the development under our coaching staff. Some guys have that junkyard dog mentality and some don’t. We will have to wait and see how he matures over the next 2-3 years.

For me, I'd want retention of our key players and the addition of a legitimate 5. Not a project 5. They can be a little raw still, but somebody who has actual positive experience. No Damion Collins or Traore chasing this year. A guy like Brandon Garrison is a minimum level.

I can't see a scenario short of massive NIL influx that I'd be excited about if both Moore and Javian are gone. We've had 8 years of mostly heartbreak. I have trust issues.

Honestly, if porter poser weren't the coach... Otherwise, i believe in him 0% and he'll have to prove it next year and do a 180 (which isn't out of the realm of possibilities) or i imagine he'll be fired

Holding on to key players + 2-3 good portal players + the knowledge we’ll be in an easier conference next season gives me room for optimism.

22+ wins + a tourney bid is the expectation next season. Gotta hit that or I’m done defending Moser.

For me, I'd want retention of our key players and the addition of a legitimate 5. Not a project 5. They can be a little raw still, but somebody who has actual positive experience. No Damion Collins or Traore chasing this year. A guy like Brandon Garrison is a minimum level.

I can't see a scenario short of massive NIL influx that I'd be excited about if both Moore and Javian are gone. We've had 8 years of mostly heartbreak. I have trust issues.

If we retain both JMs and add Pedulla. Garrison, and Overton -- wow, my depression about OU basketball will have subsided much quicker than expected. Keep the JMs and adding Garrison are essential, though. Might have to break the NIL bank for Garrison.

Back