2010 Recruit: Todd Mayo

BigTime

The Red Wig
Reaction score
Yes, he is OJ Mayo's brother. According to Rivals, Coach Capel (and several other head coaches) attended one of his games in Memphis yesterday.

Mayo has really flown under the radar (which is probably a good thing due to his brother's shady recruitment), but the 6-4, 210 combo guard, has recently picked up offers from Mizzou and Tennessee. Arkansas, Memphis, Miss St, and Georgia are also in the mix.

Mayo profile

No thanks. I'll pass. I don't want any headache associated with the Mayo family. I don't care if he's as good as OJ was. Not worth it. JMO

Todd may be a good kid. He can't help who his relatives are.

Some videos. Guess he is #32.......

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4vXmVJPXWI&feature=related[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KEdQ3fD0YY[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AovMcynecWI[/ame]

No thanks. I'll pass. I don't want any headache associated with the Mayo family. I don't care if he's as good as OJ was. Not worth it. JMO

I will do more research, but it seems to me like about the only thing that they share regarding recruiting is the same last name.

Last edited:

Kid is probably as clean as a college recruit will come and has learned from his brothers mistakes.

Think about it, his brother is already rich and has probably bought him some bad ass car like an Escalade and gives him cash whenever he wants. And even at that, his brother has already been through the turmoil so I doubt he's going to follow that same path.

That being said, kid looks like a baller. If Capel is traveling to Memphis the night before a conference game to watch him he's obviously very interested and probably has already offered.

I will do more research, but it seems to me like about the only thing that they share regarding recruiting is the same last name.

Isn't O.J. Mayo from Virginia or West Virginia? I wouldn't be surprised if Capel knows him, and his little brother, from his days there and already has his foot in the door.

I would say it is a safe bet that Capel knew OJ Mayo given he recruited former teammate Chris Early who was removed from the team a couple of years ago.

6'4 shooting guard....he would def add some height and athleticism....I would rather get a guy like this than another pg....he should be able to help us on D

It's not Mayo, it's the system. If Mayo were Cade Davis or Pledger, he wouldn't have all the different people trying to take advantage of his situation. I suspect Todd Mayo doesn't have the same influences that OJ has. I also think that monetary temptations wouldnt be the same wth Todd since his brother is a multmillionaire.

Big, if you can research if Todd is a a brother through paternal, maternal, or both, that will shed some light. know that OJ's mother was on record for saying she didn't like the guy that OJ dealt with and didn't trust him. Her instincts seemed accurate.

He elevates more but his jump shot form reminds me of Lace Dunn a little bit. No idea if he's anywhere near the same shooter. Doesn't seem to have the wicked athleticism of OJ Mayo though.

It's not Mayo, it's the system. If Mayo were Cade Davis or Pledger, he wouldn't have all the different people trying to take advantage of his situation. I suspect Todd Mayo doesn't have the same influences that OJ has. I also think that monetary temptations wouldnt be the same wth Todd since his brother is a multmillionaire.

Big, if you can research if Todd is a a brother through paternal, maternal, or both, that will shed some light. know that OJ's mother was on record for saying she didn't like the guy that OJ dealt with and didn't trust him. Her instincts seemed accurate.

I would assume that O.J. and Todd have the same father since they share the same last name.

Isn't O.J. Mayo from Virginia or West Virginia? I wouldn't be surprised if Capel knows him, and his little brother, from his days there and already has his foot in the door.

O.J. Mayo was born and raised in Huntington, West Virginia. He left there to attend school in Ohio (Cincy I believe) for a time, and then returned to his home town his senior year to play with Chris Early and Patrick Patterson at Huntington High.

I'm reasonably sure Capel was one of a multitude of coaches who recruited O.J., but there is little doubt that he knew the kid and his family, from recruiting Chris Early, who later signed with OU, of course. I'll add that Mark Cline is a West Virginia (Williamson, to be exact) native who was very familiar with the players in that area. So, I'm betting that Capel and Cline have a connection with the Mayo family that goes back several years.

Where is Early now? I see he played a few games this year , not cracking the starting five. He has not played the last few games.

Mayo said in a Scout $update$ a couple days ago that he wants to visit OU, Missouri and West Virginia after the season. Also says he's going to wait to sign later because he wants to see which players from West Virginia, Tennessee and Memphis leave early.

O.J. Mayo was born and raised in Huntington, West Virginia. He left there to attend school in Ohio (Cincy I believe) for a time, and then returned to his home town his senior year to play with Chris Early and Patrick Patterson at Huntington High.

That would be North College Hill in Cincinnati where Bill Walker also went...that place was dominant in hoops...absolutely disgusting to watch how good they were...my school was never good, but we did have one guy who went on to major D1 basketball (James Dews who plays/played for Miami)...

We cant prosecute this kid because of the influence this vulcher had on his brother let us not forget OJ was a kid that just wanted to play the game,as you see OJ is not a headcase he really is a good kid i met him and know him.People it dont matter if they have the same mother are father that has nothing to do with how his brother handle hisself on the court,if you take a kid that come from nothing are has nothing and you show him something well something is going to win.It is guys like the one that enticed OJ,in everytown big are small who preys on these kids especially the ones with single mothers,and for the record they dont have to have the same father to have the same lastname i dont think they mother married their father.

We cant prosecute this kid because of the influence this vulcher had on his brother let us not forget OJ was a kid that just wanted to play the game,as you see OJ is not a headcase he really is a good kid i met him and know him.People it dont matter if they have the same mother are father that has nothing to do with how his brother handle hisself on the court,if you take a kid that come from nothing are has nothing and you show him something well something is going to win.It is guys like the one that enticed OJ,in everytown big are small who preys on these kids especially the ones with single mothers,and for the record they dont have to have the same father to have the same lastname i dont think they mother married their father.

To add, Todd Mayo has no incentive to deal with any type of agent folk that OJ did because OJ is rich.

Back