Sooners make the cut for Tobi Oyedeji

BigTime

The Red Wig
Reaction score
Free recruiting article from Rivals (LSU board):

4/6/09

For Houston-Bellaire power forward Tobi Oyedeji the end of his high school season came sooner than later.

"It was a pretty good season but it ended too soon," Oyedeji said.

The first-round exit for Bellaire from the Class 5A state playoffs allowed the 6-foot-8, 210-pound Oyedeji – a four-star prospect – to look ahead to his AAU schedule with his Houston Hoops' 17-and-under team along with a small dose of recruiting.

The AAU season actually began last weekend for the Hoops but Oyedeji had to bow out of competition because an ankle sprain suffered the week before in another AAU tournament.

"I tried to go," Oyedeji said, "but I couldn't do anything and wasn't effective."

The AAU circuit is expected to serve as a showcase for Oyedeji who is a Rivals150 member, rated the nation's No. 60 overall prospect and No. 15 power forward after averaging 16 points and 12 rebounds this past season.

When the subject turns to his recruiting process Oyedeji has done some trim work around his list of scholarship offers. He recently narrowed down his list of schools to LSU, Arizona State, Baylor, Texas A&M, Georgia Tech and Oklahoma after eliminating Louisville and Marquette from contention.

Instead of holding onto that group of six another school with instant name recognition – UCLA – entered into the picture for Oyedeji earlier this week.

"One of my former (AAU) teammates who's looking at UCLA told them about me," Oyedeji said. "UCLA told his dad that they were looking for an athletic big guy and he told them about me and they came to school and started talking to me."

Oyedeji is essentially parked in neutral when it comes to the beginning the leg work on his recruiting process. He didn't take any unofficial visits or see any games during the fall and because of his early AAU schedule doesn't plan to start doing so until the summer.

"Georgia Tech, LSU and Oklahoma are three schools on my list that I'm going to try and see," Oyedeji said. "I've already been to Texas A&M many times I don't need to go there."

With the advent of UCLA into the picture Oyedeji has his timetable for committing and subsequently signing has been pushed back.

Oyedeji said his original plans were to make a decision before the summer and sign during the NCAA's early signing period in November. Now, unless something changes, he's planning to wait and sign during the spring signing period next April.

"After I told him (his father) that UCLA was starting to show interest he said to just sit down and see how this thing goes and what other schools may come in contact with me over the summer. He didn't want me to make a quick decision."

Whether LSU will take another junior power forward remains to be seen after the Tigers first commitment in the Class of 2010 came last month from Jalen Courtney of Jackson, Miss.

Although Oyedeji said he hasn't spoken with a coach from LSU in some time his current plans are still to mix in an unofficial visit to Baton Rouge in June around his AAU schedule.

"I told them before the season that I wanted to go see them in the summer," Oyedeji said, noting that he talked with LSU assistant Brent Scott during the season. "I like LSU's coaching. …their style of play. I know they play fast and that really interests me. They like their athletic guys to show what they have. Right now I have no favorites. They're just all the same together."

Thanks for the update. Anyone have any video of him?

Great news! Thanks for posting, BT.

I have a feeling Tobi will be a Sooner. Capel and staff have recruited him hard for sometime. I think that will count for something when it's time to make a decision.

Very good news. Let the HOUSTON pipeline continue to flow. The ace in the hole is making it happen. BOOMER SOONER BABY!!!

thanks for posting.

does anyone know what it is with the Houston Bellaire and Cypress schools and all these seemingly African immigrant families? there must be a pipeline.

this kid, i think there were a couple Okafor's and some others.

I believe the Okafor's are Nigerian, well I think all Okafors are Nigerian. If memory serves me correct, Emeka Okafor's family first lived in Bartlesville, OK and then moved to Houston. I think his father was in the petroleum industry as an engineer. So, I think that quite a few Nigerians that move to Houston probably do so out of working in the oil business.

Has anyone actually seen this kid play?

I've seen a couple of clips and wasn't overly wowed by a guy who is ranked 60th in his class. He does have an offer from Pitino and Louisville, which does make him legit I guess.

BTW, the latest article from Rivals on him lists him at 6-8, 2-10, which is much nice than the 190 he's been listed at. Also looks like he had played AAU ball with TMG and Tiny in the past, which should help us.

:sooner
Has anyone actually seen this kid play?

I've seen a couple of clips and wasn't overly wowed by a guy who is ranked 60th in his class. He does have an offer from Pitino and Louisville, which does make him legit I guess.

BTW, the latest article from Rivals on him lists him at 6-8, 2-10, which is much nice than the 190 he's been listed at. Also looks like he had played AAU ball with TMG and Tiny in the past, which should help us.
:boomer
:clap:clap:clap

Back