Somewhat OT: Pete Maravich vs. OU in 1970 NIT

NMSooner'80

Reaction score
Pistol Pete Maravich, who passed away in 1988, has been in the news lately with the scoring record pursuit of Iowa's Caitlin Clark. He averaged over 44 a game in college (but in only three varsity years due to the freshman-ineligibility rules of the day).

I was in sixth grade when Pete's LSU team played John McLeod's OU team in the 1970 NIT at Madison Square Garden. It was a pretty entertaining game, won in the end by LSU, 97-94. I remember watching it on TV. Maravich scored 37 points but later told the media he "stunk" due to a few turnovers. He did overdo it with some behind-the-back passes that went out of bounds. But I also remember being amazed that he could dribble at full speed toward the right corner of the court, square up and stick a fade-away jumper almost at will.

That OU team featured future NBA players Gar Heard and Clifford Ray. They beat Louisville by one, 74-73, in the first round of the NIT.

that would have been incredible to experience. it’s just so disappointing that there isn’t more footage of him, because i honestly can’t comprehend what he did in only three years without a 3 point line, while also being such a great passer. amazing talent. and maybe we can get the 2024 version, ou vs iowa in the women’s final four.

Pistol Pete not only had eyes in the back of his head.....he had eyes in the side of his head. The film that I've seen of him is "Harlem-Globetrotter"-like. The only modern day comparison that I can think of is Jason Williams (white chocolate).

I met Pete Maravich in 1988. He was being recognized at the All-College tournament in Oklahoma City at halftime of an OU game. Nice guy. No one knew he would pass away a week later, much too young.

I met Pete Maravich in 1988. He was being recognized at the All-College tournament in Oklahoma City at halftime of an OU game. Nice guy. No one knew he would pass away a week later, much too young.
Before the Ford Center was built (or whatever it's called now), that game featured the largest crowd to ever see a basketball game in the state. Fell over dead playing pickup hoops a week later. Incredible.

Quite a set of bookends for our teams in the 70s: knocked out of the '70 NIT by the Pistol and sent home from the '79 Sweet 16 by Larry Legend.

Pistol Pete Maravich, who passed away in 1988, has been in the news lately with the scoring record pursuit of Iowa's Caitlin Clark. He averaged over 44 a game in college (but in only three varsity years due to the freshman-ineligibility rules of the day).

I was in sixth grade when Pete's LSU team played John McLeod's OU team in the 1970 NIT at Madison Square Garden. It was a pretty entertaining game, won in the end by LSU, 97-94. I remember watching it on TV. Maravich scored 37 points but later told the media he "stunk" due to a few turnovers. He did overdo it with some behind-the-back passes that went out of bounds. But I also remember being amazed that he could dribble at full speed toward the right corner of the court, square up and stick a fade-away jumper almost at will.

That OU team featured future NBA players Gar Heard and Clifford Ray. They beat Louisville by one, 74-73, in the first round of the NIT.
And that 44 PPG was not only in 3 years, but without a 3-point line and a shot clock.

IDC what Clark has done at Iowa, no modern reporter should ever deny Pistol Pete was the greatest college scorer of all-time.

Quite a set of bookends for our teams in the 70s: knocked out of the '70 NIT by the Pistol and sent home from the '79 Sweet 16 by Larry Legend.
I'm going to admit that I did not know, or had forgotten, that OU got knocked out by Larry Bird and his Indiana State team.

So many of today's young don't realize how good Larry was.

I grew up loving Pete Maravich. A lot of that thanks to "Pistol: Birth of a Legend" moving about him growing up.

Fantastic and thanks for sharing the nostalgia

I'm going to admit that I did not know, or had forgotten, that OU got knocked out by Larry Bird and his Indiana State team.

That was OU's first Big 8 championship team in decades. Got a bye into the 2nd round of the tournament, beat Texas in Dallas. Played Indiana State in the Sweet 16 in Cincinnati. OU had a good team, but Larry Bird was just too much.

Pete was amazing and what he did and how he did it was even more amazing. It’s weird when people say Clark passed Pete’s scoring record because it’s not even close to being the same. Apples and oranges. Congrats to Clark but she’s not in Pete’s league at all.
And that 44 PPG was not only in 3 years, but without a 3-point line and a shot clock.

IDC what Clark has done at Iowa, no modern reporter should ever deny Pistol Pete was the greatest college scorer of all-time.
It’s nonsense to compare Clark to Pete. Apples and oranges. Clark is the best scoring female player eve, congrats. She’s not on the same level as pistol Pete and the comparison is insane.

I read a quote years ago from Bliss that basically said,
"we tried every defense known to man with every lineup I could think of. Nothing worked."

I think the press Clark is receiving is awesome. But I also remember Dale Brown poring over the film charting the Pistol's shots and coming up with an average PPG north of 55 had there been a 3-point line back then. Buddy of mine was in school at Alabamuh when the Pistol came through as a freshman. Said the arena was packed to the gills for the frosh game, and the place cleared out to a ghost town for the varsity tilt!

Back