Thoughts

Exactly....if this team still needs a wakeup call after last season, then our problems are much deeper and more serious than we all anticipated. I'm hoping it was just a fluke type game that can tend to happen at the beginning of a season, but it seemed to be deja-vu from last season in various ways.

We need an "alpha" on offense badly. The athleticism (or lack of it) was a little startling to me. Hill needs to get it together or his minutes need to be cut drastically. He is a senior and his improvement has been nominal at best. I like Bamisile, but he looks to be a little out of control at times. If he can play a little more controlled, I like to see him on the floor a lot more.

I agree completely with this. Hill's play was the most disappointing IMO, and the coaching was confusing at best. I think Baisile will help us once he settles in. Pretty common for transfers to try and do to much initially when they transfer to a bigger stage.

I think Hill can be a starter, just not a scorer. He needs to bring hustle,toughness,defense, and rebounding with 2 hands.

We need Sherfield and Uzan to be more selfish offensively. I think working on more 2 man game with Sherfield and T Groves may be necessary until we can handle more moving pieces.

I have to think Nolan will look better, maybe he was trying to do too much, but we need him to score.

I kept thinking Marvin Johnson when I watched Bam. I hope to be wrong about that comparison.

I thought J Groves did some nice things and looked improved.

Overall, I want to see better team vibes. That was an unhappy looking bench all night long.

To be optimistic, I work with college students for a living. If there's one characteristic they share, it's inconsistency from day to day. I'm hoping we just had a bad day and that we see significant improvement next time out. If not, it may be a long season.

I think Friday's matchup with Ark-Pine Bluff is the most important second game we've seen around here for many years.

I think Friday's matchup with Ark-Pine Bluff is the most important second game we've seen around here for many years.

and all they did was lose by 1 on the road at #14 TCU yesterday and had the lead in the last min of the game. .

Jalen hill isn’t a starter on a tournament team. Undersized forward who can’t shoot. That is the biggest issue we have.

He will likely be all def team this year. This isnt the problem!

and all they did was lose by 1 on the road at #14 TCU yesterday and had the lead in the last min of the game. .

Nonetheless, if we don't destroy this team, something is wrong. They are one of the absolute worst teams in the country. If anything, our struggles last night, and how closely they played the Frogs, should cause us to play like our hair is on fire.

I was at the game. The offense was brutal the entire game. It seemed we had a limit on how many times we could pass. There was nothing but stagnant dribbling most possessions.
In the first half it looked like hockey line changes. He didn’t leave anyone in the game more than a few minutes. Then late he forgot Bamisille is one of our best scorers. Noland and Hill had no offense the entire game. Not sure why CJ wouldn’t take an open shot. Hill in the first half was given the ball two feet from the basket several times and he couldn’t score or get an assist. Cortes still thinks he is playing 4A competition.

He will likely be all def team this year. This isnt the problem!

Hill had zero points and one rebound in 32 minutes. If you don't think that's a problem then I don't know what to tell you.

Maybe this team answers the wake up call and becomes a tourney team. Or maybe last night is who this team is. Last year we turned the ball over too much and couldn’t finish late. This season we open the season by turning the ball over way too much and couldn’t finish late…against a horrible team.

They shot 30% so don’t tell me they played great, because they sucked too. It was a terrible game between two terrible teams. I hope they improve because last night was so awful. If that’s who we are, we will finish dead last in the Big12 and have a losing record.

I was at the game. The offense was brutal the entire game. It seemed we had a limit on how many times we could pass. There was nothing but stagnant dribbling most possessions.
In the first half it looked like hockey line changes. He didn’t leave anyone in the game more than a few minutes. Then late he forgot Bamisille is one of our best scorers. Noland and Hill had no offense the entire game. Not sure why CJ wouldn’t take an open shot. Hill in the first half was given the ball two feet from the basket several times and he couldn’t score or get an assist. Cortes still thinks he is playing 4A competition.

Good point re: passing. One of Self's key philosophies is getting the ball to the "third side," i.e., reversing the ball at least twice. It forces the defense to guard the entire floor and improves your chances of breaking them down. KU does that as well as anyone, and they do it even when they have great individual players. It would seem to be even more important when you don't have many guys who can just beat their guy off the dribble or in isolation, yet, as you say, we saw none of that.

I have no idea what Moser was doing with the rotations last night. There is no way Bam should be glued to the bench in the second half. Unless the dude is the worst defender of all time, you have to give him a chance to settle into the game and hopefully give the offense a lift. I hope last night is the last time we see that starting five.

Maybe this team answers the wake up call and becomes a tourney team. Or maybe last night is who this team is. Last year we turned the ball over too much and couldn’t finish late. This season we open the season by turning the ball over way too much and couldn’t finish late…against a horrible team.

They shot 30% so don’t tell me they played great, because they sucked too. It was a terrible game between two terrible teams. I hope they improve because last night was so awful. If that’s who we are, we will finish dead last in the Big12 and have a losing record.

sam houston is not a good team ...

BUT they are a very very good defensive team year in and year out .

Talk about "same song, second verse." There's an exception here and there, but anyone with a rudimentary knowledge of this board knows exactly what each poster is about to say before they type their analysis and hit the "submit" button. :ez-laugh:

Talk about "same song, second verse." There's an exception here and there, but anyone with a rudimentary knowledge of this board knows exactly what each poster is about to say before they type their analysis and hit the "submit" button. :ez-laugh:

lol lots of truth in this .. :ez-laugh:

Especially since the team looks the same as it did last year with very few exceptions.

That starting lineup cannot be our best five guys. I just don't think we are going to be much better until we actually have an athletic, productive center. IMO Groves just isn't the guy. Similar to how I feel about Dylan Gabriel for the football team..

The way that we looked last night I don't see this season being a whole lot better record-wise than last season was. I know the announcer said we are much more athletic overall but I really didn't see that. Maybe I'm just pessimistic and already on a low on account of losing our season opener a team of that caliber. Just hope we don't place even lower than the preseason conference prediction...

I know it's way early to say anything like this, but if we're not going in an upwards projection this time next year I would probably say this whole Moser thing isn't going to work out.

That starting lineup cannot be our best five guys. I just don't think we are going to be much better until we actually have an athletic, productive center. IMO Groves just isn't the guy. Similar to how I feel about Dylan Gabriel for the football team..

The way that we looked last night I don't see this season being a whole lot better record-wise than last season was. I know the announcer said we are much more athletic overall but I really didn't see that. Maybe I'm just pessimistic and already on a low on account of losing our season opener a team of that caliber. Just hope we don't place even lower than the preseason conference prediction...

I know it's way early to say anything like this, but if we're not going in an upwards projection this time next year I would probably say this whole Moser thing isn't going to work out.

I remember when we complained about athletic centers & wanted skilled centers. Now I will say is Tanner is far from being the problem.

I guess I don't understand why people think we're a tournament team. We weren't last year and have a ton to replace, while now relying on freshman/newcomers in the toughest conference in America. Not to mention a coach who look very not up to par in his tougher conference last year.

Anyone thinking otherwise, ESPECIALLY after the game last night, is simply a sunshine pumper using the line of "We'll come around, wait and see." It's used countless times with no logic behind it.

This hire looks like a major failure...and a major bore as well. Who wants to see 55-52 games on a nightly basis?

Hill had zero points and one rebound in 32 minutes. If you don't think that's a problem then I don't know what to tell you.

1 night vs 3 years. give it time.

Yes last night was an issue.

1 night vs 3 years. give it time.

Yes last night was an issue.

Exactly, THREE years. Why do people think Hill is a legit starter in a Power 5 conference? B/c he's made mild strides in THREE years? Not to mention he's been able to play against countless kids who are one year players or newcomers from other leagues that have to get acclimated. Yet he's still as inconsistent as they come and hardly ever a legit a threat on offense.

I get that he's novelty in this day and age of college hoops, but the stark reality is he's a fringe player on a real team. And we're not a real team and therefore need him to be A LOT more than that.

I guess I don't understand why people think we're a tournament team. We weren't last year and have a ton to replace, while now relying on freshman/newcomers in the toughest conference in America. Not to mention a coach who look very not up to par in his tougher conference last year.

Anyone thinking otherwise, ESPECIALLY after the game last night, is simply a sunshine pumper using the line of "We'll come around, wait and see." It's used countless times with no logic behind it.

This hire looks like a major failure...and a major bore as well. Who wants to see 55-52 games on a nightly basis?

I want to be super pessimistic too but its year 1 + 1 game. If were this bad at the end of the year then I'll be on board

Back