Thoughts

I have use for the athletic aggressive Hill from about two years ago that would have 9 rebound games, hit the offensive glass, lock down guys, and throw tomahawks on Alabama.

Seems a shell of that now. Inexplicable..

The two stats that stuck out most to me were the following:

3 assists and 11 turnovers from the point guards

Through 35 minutes of play SH had 34 points (39 point pace)
In the last 5 minutes they scored 18 (144 point pace)

While the offense wasn't good, the defensive collapse cost us the game.

Offensively, I was most frustrated with too much one-on-one or more play. There were several times the ballhandler drew an extra defender and then didn't make the pass to the open man on the 3-pt line.

From a quick glance at stats, Hill was our leading rebounder, 5th best scorer, and most versatile defender (my opinion) last year. That's a starter the next year for most teams. I don't see Hill as the problem, unless we ask him to be a scorer. He does need to take the ball to the rim with more authority when he gets the chance, I agree.
Also, who do you put in Hill's place if he's not a starter? None of the other options looked good either.

I agree that the hockey line change subs were probably not helpful. Hard to fault the players for not finding a rhythm offensively with the revolving door Moser had going on at the scorers table.

Great point on the lack of passing! So much dribbling with heads down. Poor job of being ready for passes and coming to help the ball handler when he's trapped, too.

The two stats that stuck out most to me were the following:

3 assists and 11 turnovers from the point guards

Through 35 minutes of play SH had 34 points (39 point pace)
In the last 5 minutes they scored 18 (144 point pace)

While the offense wasn't good, the defensive collapse cost us the game.

Offensively, I was most frustrated with too much one-on-one or more play. There were several times the ballhandler drew an extra defender and then didn't make the pass to the open man on the 3-pt line.

Great points. Post more!!! Always good to see some new perspectives.

From a quick glance at stats, Hill was our leading rebounder, 5th best scorer, and most versatile defender (my opinion) last year. That's a starter the next year for most teams. I don't see Hill as the problem, unless we ask him to be a scorer. He does need to take the ball to the rim with more authority when he gets the chance, I agree.
Also, who do you put in Hill's place if he's not a starter? None of the other options looked good either.

I agree that the hockey line change subs were probably not helpful. Hard to fault the players for not finding a rhythm offensively with the revolving door Moser had going on at the scorers table.

Great point on the lack of passing! So much dribbling with heads down. Poor job of being ready for passes and coming to help the ball handler when he's trapped, too.

Great points. Please keep adding to the threads as well.

Lots of upsets in opening games:
Stetson over Fl State
FGC beat USC
UC Davis topped Cal
Queens over Marshall
Wagner over Temple
Doesn't make OUs' loss feel any better but it happens. Have to see if Moser rights this ship ASAP or his tenure will be a short one. Basketball is one sport you have a chance with transfers, strong recruiting you can rebuild quicker than football.

Lots of upsets in opening games:
Stetson over Fl State
FGC beat USC
UC Davis topped Cal
Queens over Marshall
Wagner over Temple
Doesn't make OUs' loss feel any better but it happens. Have to see if Moser rights this ship ASAP or his tenure will be a short one. Basketball is one sport you have a chance with transfers, strong recruiting you can rebuild quicker than football.

yeah, it happens a lot early in the season. With the way things go, we will probably come out next game and just kill it

I just figured we'd have a bit more 'grit' considering how many close games we lost last season. Despite what we lost, we did actually have quite a bit of experience returning too. We've got to find a way to grind out these close games, unlike last season. That was the difference in being an NCAA tourney team and NIT team, just a couple close losses. Hopefully we'll figure it out at some point.

I just figured we'd have a bit more 'grit' considering how many close games we lost last season. Despite what we lost, we did actually have quite a bit of experience returning too. We've got to find a way to grind out these close games, unlike last season. That was the difference in being an NCAA tourney team and NIT team, just a couple close losses. Hopefully we'll figure it out at some point.

We should never be in a close game with the likes of Sam Houston State

We should never be in a close game with the likes of Sam Houston State

Agreed. Despite a lackluster performance and almost nothing on offense from two starters, OU was in complete control until the final five minutes. This loss was on Porter Moser! If he wants to win games, he can’t substitute like he’s coaching a scrimmage. .

I still think this team is better and deeper than last year’s team! Assuming Porter learned from the mistakes he made Monday night, he’ll prove me right.

Agreed. Despite a lackluster performance and almost nothing on offense from two starters, OU was in complete control until the final five minutes. This loss was on Porter Moser! If he wants to win games, he can’t substitute like he’s coaching a scrimmage. .

I still think this team is better and deeper than last year’s team! Assuming Porter learned from the mistakes he made Monday night, he’ll prove me right.

Hasn't Moser had like literal years of coaching at different levels to learn from mistakes?

Hasn't Moser had like literal years of coaching at different levels to learn from mistakes?

I’m not trivializing the mistakes Moser makes. He’s a veteran now, not a new coach with limited experience.

I’m beginning to wonder if he’s too proud to ask for advice or admit when he’s wrong? I brought this up several weeks ago. It’s rare to see him consult with his assistants in the huddle or on the bench. Is that because he’s a control freak who has to be in charge? Is the turnover in assistants since he came to OU a red flag?

I’m asking, not saying there may be more to the story?

I wish I shared your optimism buddy, but we shall see.

I’m not trivializing the mistakes Moser makes. He’s a veteran now, not a new coach with limited experience.

I’m beginning to wonder if he’s too proud to ask for advice or admit when he’s wrong? I brought this up several weeks ago. It’s rare to see him consult with his assistants in the huddle or on the bench. Is that because he’s a control freak who has to be in charge? Is the turnover in assistants since he came to OU a red flag?

I’m asking, not saying there may be more to the story?

I’m hearing he’s a control freak. He has one guy on staff he bounces things off of who is basically a yes man.

At this point the only thing that gives me hope is Moser's system and personality worked incredibly well at Loyola, so it can't be all bad. But boy right now it is difficult to be optimistic about what he has done here so far.

At this point the only thing that gives me hope is Moser's system and personality worked incredibly well at Loyola, so it can't be all bad. But boy right now it is difficult to be optimistic about what he has done here so far.

We have the personnel to be a solid tournament team. Moser is going to have to show that he can be flexible and adapt his system to personnel or we’re going to end up in the bottom of the big 12.

We have the personnel to be a solid tournament team. Moser is going to have to show that he can be flexible and adapt his system to personnel or we’re going to end up in the bottom of the big 12.

I agree with you, pnkranger! I was hoping for better news, but not really surprised when I read what Seymore had to say.

I like Porter Moser. But if he can’t win with this team against the likes of Sam Houston State, his career at OU may not have a bright future.

To each his own, but I am really pleased overall with the direction of the program.

First, he did a decent job putting a staff and team together from essentially nothing last year. New system, new players, and we still had a winning team.

While there was plenty to complain about last year, it is unquestionable that we improved, and the kids generally improved, through the year and we were playing our best ball in the B12 tourney.

Then he rebuilds his staff, signs three sought after kids in the portal and, to my eyes, the best freshman class in many years. And we haven't even seen the Northweather kid yet.

Basketball is different than football, night to night there will be a different team show up. I have been watching and going to games at OU since before the Lloyd Noble center was built and this has been true of every coach we have had. I guess what I am saying is that I anticipate Moser will have this team improve through the year -- just like last year. Who knows, but to my eye we look vastly more talented than last year. But, we will see.

The Cole kid we just signed is a good highly sought after kid, and at least from a recruiting standpoint, a higher ranked kid than many we have signed in the last 20 years.

If he can get the kids to buy in and get those with eligibility to return next year, then I would think we could make a real step forward.

All in all, I am pleased with the direction of the team. Hopefully the fans will give it to the end of the year and see how the team looks at that time to determine "direction". if we can end up with a little better record and go to the NCAA, then I will be satisfied. I can appreciate that some have higher expectations. But, we live in a different and new world in college athletics with free transfers and NIL. Navigating these and all of the normal issues is new ground for everyone.

Back