Should OU accept the NIT invitation?

In addition to the extra practices, if OU goes on a run and makes it to MSG, the additional exposure will help with recruiting in the transfer portal.

Kelvin wasn’t too proud to play in the nit after a decade at ou. We need the practice and experience.

So give up several weeks of practice that wouldn’t be allowed if we declined?

Your logic is no more practice and “figure out” ?

It’s not acceptable but it’s year 1.

Several weeks? That's only true if we win. And if you think the team is going to practice like they have all season. AND you think that practice is actually bettering the team.

We've been practicing all season. How much improvement have you seen the last 2-3 weeks? Looks like the same team to me. They'd be better off getting in the weight room.

Wayy too many players returning for next season to turn it down! Besides, it's still an accomplishment. THere are A LOT of teams that won't get to play in any post season tournaments.

We have no idea who is returning next year (other than a couple of players).

Out of who is currently playing games, here is what we know:
Groves x2, Hill - coming back pretty certainly
Cortes - most likely coming back
Noland - I personally think he is gone, but that obviously isn't certain
Gibson - no idea, but more games/practice isn't going to make his 24 y/o self better
Goldwire, Johnson, Chargois - not coming back

So at best, we're probably playing 4, maybe 5-6 guys that will be back next year. I'm assuming Harkless isn't going to be playing in the NIT. And out of those 4-6, a couple of them don't even play but 10-15 minutes a game.

Practices aren't going to be very intense for NIT prep. They just aren't. Especially for a team that lacks depth, needs to make changes, and quite frankly, looks tired. I haven't seen any improvement over the last month. They play well at times. They play poorly at times. I'd argue our on-court production has actually gotten worse. A week or two of half-effort practices, with some of the seniors probably looking out for themselves, isn't going to change a thing for next year, especially considering the fact that I think we need some pretty big changes made.

I get it. Some of you want the team to keep playing. Just doesn't mean that much to me. Couldn't tell you a single team that even played in the NIT last year, let alone won it. This team will check out mentally if they lose to Baylor and get left out. I just don't see the makeup (leadership) of a team that would rally together and do damage in the NIT. Maybe I'm wrong on that last part, but that really wouldn't change anything.

Several weeks? That's only true if we win. And if you think the team is going to practice like they have all season. AND you think that practice is actually bettering the team.

We've been practicing all season. How much improvement have you seen the last 2-3 weeks? Looks like the same team to me. They'd be better off getting in the weight room.

You don't think practicing helps teams get better?

You don't think practicing helps teams get better?

Answer my question. Has this team gotten better over the last couple of weeks?

The answer to that is no. This team needs a HARD reset. And that isn't going to come over a week or two of NIT-level practices.

The answer to that is no. This team needs a HARD reset. And that isn't going to come over a week or two of NIT-level practices.

lol this team is one of the 40 best teams in the country ..

it doesn't need a "hard reset"

I would say the team has gotten better. They smoked the cats in Manhattan for the first time in 10 years. They did this without 1 of their best players, too. Also won 3 straight in the toughest conference in the country (again without Harkless).

They damn sure haven’t quit yet. The coaching staff has them locked in even after that terrible stretch in conference.

I would say the team has gotten better. They smoked the cats in Manhattan for the first time in 10 years. They did this without 1 of their best players, too. Also won 3 straight in the toughest conference in the country (again without Harkless).

They damn sure haven’t quit yet. The coaching staff has them locked in even after that terrible stretch in conference.

cosign

We are literally on a 3 game winning streak so...

What if we're better without Harkless? He played a combined four minutes in our two conference road wins.

What if we're better without Harkless? He played a combined four minutes in our two conference road wins.

Interesting question. When Harkless was turning it over like crazy, he certainly wasn’t a net positive. When he was playing well he was a tremendous asset, though, especially on defense. I think it has been good for players like Johnson, Noland, and Jacob groves to get more minutes. They are all playing better with the increased reps.

Boulder’s +/- for Harkless suggests he is definitely one of our top players.

Last edited:
Interesting question. When Harkless was turning it over like crazy, he certainly wasn’t a net positive. When he was playing well he was a tremendous asset, though, especially on defense. I think it has been good for players like Johnson, Noland, and Jacob groves to get more minutes. They are all playing better with the increased reps.

I think it says the opposite. He was a team worst minus 49 in conference play.

I think it says the opposite. He was a team worst minus 49 in conference play.

he had a few games were he was trying to be an alpha player on O and that is not something he is capable of ..

after the "benching" he responded by going be to being the junk yard dog that he was last season .. and that is a player that OU misses ..

Actually, he had the worst +/- on the team for conference play, and he missed the last five of those games.

Actually, he had the worst +/- on the team for conference play, and he missed the last five of those games.

Sure but he also had the top 3 when we had our best wins 4 top 15 wins, not beaten 3 avg teams.

Sure but he also had the top 3 when we had our best wins 4 top 15 wins, not beaten 3 avg teams.

Looking back at the +/- thread, he had the fourth best number on the team through the Iowa State game on 1/8, which was the third of those four wins. From that point on, it cratered. The issue isn't whether he is capable of helping the team, it is whether he is willing to play the way he needs to play on a consistent basis. He has been here two years and in college four years. That is enough time for him to realize that he needs to be a defense-first guy, not a shooter or handler. I don't know if it is a net benefit to have him play a handful of very good games each season if the tradeoff is 15 or so games where he kills us with turnovers and decision making. Assuming he comes back as he has indicated he will, he needs to figure out how to play under control for 30+ games, not just occasionally.

Harkless is a good player but he should never be the first or second option. He’s a complimentary player. A good piece to have but he’s not an alpha. He might be a good 6th man but we don’t have enough talent to have him come off the bench.

Back